Ool Newbie - Notice there's no "P" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beware that the Dollar store bleach often does not list a concentration (tipoff that it is less than 6%, often 3% or less) and is sometimes not 'fresh'. Bleach will lose its potency overtime. You could do worse than the Sam's Club deal you got. I wouldn't go to the trouble of returning it.

I've been using HTH brand liquid chlorine from my local Walmart. Not the cheapest, but it is 13.3% so I don't have to buy or store as much as if I was using the 8.25% generic Walmart brand, which is what I used last year.

I'm tryin! :cool: I think I'm beyond frustrated at this point. And now I think I could have found bleach cheaper, elsewhere. Debating returning it and getting the cheap stuff from dollar general or somewhere like that ... I paid almost $3/gallon at Sam's Club for clorox concentrate. I'm going to look around. I have a few days before the SLAM anyway so ... Step One: I have a new brush so lets see if I can kick arse tonight on that scum at the bottom!

If you have bleach now, why not throw some in to start the process? Anything will help with time.

Walmart, Target, Costco, and Sam's are all good places to get bleach due to the large volume of sales. You are more likely to get fresh bleach at its maximum labeled concentration at these types of stores. Dollar stores tend to have lower concentrations of bleach to begin with, and it may sit in a warehouse for months before hitting the store shelves. Most bleach has the concentration on the label, and a sell by date stamped on the bottle.

Re: Ool Newbie - Notice there's no "P" in it?

I was told not to until I test as I could be throwing bleach down the drain, figuritively and physically speaking.

- - - Updated - - -

:salut: Okay okay, I will stick with Sam's :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I also have a separte thread with a series of questions. Can any of you look into those and give me some insight. This was AFTER I read pool school AGAIN. Please and thank you!

Your threads have been combined. Please keep all questions related to your pool in this thread until your slam is completed. It is easier for us to help you if all the information is kept in one thread. Zea3

Got it! Well the plan af the SLAM is to use the 3" tablets.
Sorry, but you don't yet have it. Put those tabs away! You won't be needing them for a long Long time! Don't waste the bleach until your sure you've got as much of the mess off the pool floor as you possibly can! Brush brush brush then brush some more to get it loosened up then net net net and then net done more! Then Finally when you've got all the junk you can out of the pool run a fool battery of tests and THEN, pour in some bleach to get you to SLAM level for your pool.

Re: 100's of Questions - Pool School Extended

It is best to keep your questions in one posting especially since you are going through a SLAM.
1) Clean pressure is the pressure right after you backwash your filter.
2) It depends on your setup, but I can bleed air out by twisting my pressure gauge. Is the air appearing only after you start the pump, or is the air always present. If the later, your air leak is between the pool and the pump. Try lubing the gasket on your pump cover.
3) Yes, it is easier to get prime if you fill with water, but you should still get prime if you have an empty basket... it will take longer. This could be related to the issue in your 2nd question.
4) See if you pump has a sticker or label.
5) I'll defer to someone more experienced. Why do you need to put a sock on the hose? I just put the hose in the skimmer whole.
6) Would need to see pics of your plumbing setup. Check valves can be put in several places.
7) ?
8) Why are you using Tri-Chlor? If you are SLAMing (per your other thread) you shouldn't be using pucks. Never put pucks in the skimmer because it can ruin your plumbing and make your return lines damaged.
9) Sometimes things float and don't make it into the skimmer basket and you have to scoop them out by hand.
10) You can get DE from a pool store or some hardware stores. Since you have a sand filter, ask friends or neighbors if you can borrow some if they use DE.

You will get better answers if you keep all of your questions in one place for now.

Answers inline...

1) How do I find out what my clean filter pressure should be? Gauge reads between 10-25 PSI

Clean the filter... look at the gauge. That is your clean pressure.

2) How do I get the air out of the filter and/or pump? I have a gurgling sound coming from the filter and during these times, I get low return flow and low suction at the skimmer. Could this be a main drain blockage issue? Everything inside the filter was replaced 2 weeks ago. A new pump installed last season.

There should be a bleed valve at the top of the filter.

3) How do I make sure the pump fully primes? When I clean out the filter skimmer basket, do I need to refill with water before starting back up? I do sometimes hear/see gurgling in the pump basket/box when I turn off the pump.

Most pumps are self priming - if you would add your pump information in addition to the motor information in your signature.

4) How do I find out what speed my pump is?

Pumps come in 3 varietals - one speed, 2 speed and variable speed. It will be one of these three. If it only runs at one speed you have a one speed pump. What the speed is is immaterial.

5) Clearning suction lines: Do I stick a socked hose (like a sock I would wear or is there some kind of special sock?) or drain king directly into the hole inside the filter basket box?

Shouldn't ever need to do this. If you do a drain king works well.

6) Check Valve: Where is that located? What are the NORMAL valve settings?

Many possibilities - not all pools have them. Designed to keep water from flowing the wrong direction and can help with pump prime issues.

7) Will a vinyl vac work on a plaster pool? What is the difference between the 2?

Not the foggiest clue

8) Tri-Chlor: Floater or directly into the skimmer basket - Which is best? And which skimmer?

None of the above and never in the skimmer basket. We recommend bleach or liquid CL. Tri Chlor only on vacations and know what it does to your chemistry before you use it.

9) Regarding the skimmer (s): the junk it collects is not going INTO the basket. It is just swirling around the top of it.

That's fine - just makes it a little more challenging to get all the goo out.

10) Diatomaceous Earth: Where to buy? When I first use it, do I have to pour it directly INTO the filter? I read that after the initial usage I am supposed to mix with water and pour into the skimmer but I'm confused as to how I do it the first time.

Amazon or the pool store. Mix with water and pour slowly into the return with the pool running. See this: DE Cleaning Guide

Check out the ABCs of Water Chemistry It is a really good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

10) Diatomaceous Earth: Where to buy? When I first use it, do I have to pour it directly INTO the filter? I read that after the initial usage I am supposed to mix with water and pour into the skimmer but I'm confused as to how I do it the first time.

10) Diatomaceous earth is not normally used in a sand filter, but it can be uses as a filtering aid. I would not worry using DE until you get to the end of your SLAM process, and only when your pool already mostly clear. It helps get the very fine particles out of the water, but if you use it too early, you may find yourself backwashing very frequently. If you decide to use it, make sure you get pool grade (and not food grade) DE, and follow the directions here.

I have used DE in my sand filter, and it works well. Use it too much and it can really clog things very quickly!

1) How do I find out what my clean filter pressure should be? Gauge reads between 10-25 PSI
2) How do I get the air out of the filter and/or pump? I have a gurgling sound coming from the filter and during these times, I get low return flow and low suction at the skimmer. Could this be a main drain blockage issue? Everything inside the filter was replaced 2 weeks ago. A new pump installed last season.
3) How do I make sure the pump fully primes? When I clean out the filter skimmer basket, do I need to refill with water before starting back up? I do sometimes hear/see gurgling in the pump basket/box when I turn off the pump.
4) How do I find out what speed my pump is?
5) Clearning suction lines: Do I stick a socked hose (like a sock I would wear or is there some kind of special sock?) or drain king directly into the hole inside the filter basket box?
6) Check Valve: Where is that located? What are the NORMAL valve settings?
7) Will a vinyl vac work on a plaster pool? What is the difference between the 2?
8) Tri-Chlor: Floater or directly into the skimmer basket - Which is best? And which skimmer?
9) Regarding the skimmer (s): the junk it collects is not going INTO the basket. It is just swirling around the top of it.
:confused:

I feel like doing this :brickwall: or having someone do this:hammer: because I feel like I'm:drown:

1. Backflush your filter. Before doing so: Always turn off your pump any time you change the position of the multiport valve. Turn back on after changing positions.
- Set to backflush and let the pump run until the clear sightglass shows clear water (or as clear as your pool might be).
- Set to Rinse for 30-45 seconds
- Set to Filter. Wait 1 minute and read the pressure gauge. THIS is your clean pressure reading. It might be even lower once your pool is sparkly clean.
2. The filter basket sight glass is the place to look. Are the bubbles in there all the time, even after the pump has been running for several minutes? There should be no or very few bubbles in that sight glass. Bubbles in the pump sight glass usually means you have a suction (skimmer/drain) side leak of some kind. Would need more troubleshooting for leaks.
3. To help your pump get prime after opening the basket area, fill with water using a bucket and pool water. It may reduce time to get prime again. However, even if you don't, the pump should prime within 3-5 minutes and shortly have no bubbles in the sight glass. Gurgling always happens, well always does with my system when the pump goes off.
4. Find the user/owner's manual for your pump. It's not really a relevant number. I'm assuming you're talking about RPMs as a speed. If you're referring to high and low speed for a 2 speed pump, there is a switch or it's automated by a cotnrol system.
5. Not sure what you're asking here. Are you wanting to clean out a whole line of debris or just wanting to know about skimmer socks?
6. Check valves are there to prevent back flow of water. Usually between something like a heater and the SWG. There are no settings for check valves, they just prevent back flow.
7. Vinyl vac might work OK on a plaster pool but having a head that's designed for your pool type is best. Vinyl pools use bristle head type vaccums and plaster pools use wheeled/roller type heads.
8. Trichlor is best kept dry in a bucket, for emergency or vacation use only. :p Seriously though, it's best to put it in a floater. Putting trichlor pucks directly in the skimmer exposes your pump and pumping station to high levels of chlorine and low pH repeatedly. This can cause premature failure of seals in your pump and fittings. Putting the pucks in a floater to dissolve is best... if you must.
9. I use a small skimmer net or aquarium net to get the stuff that refuses to drop into the skimmer basket. Then I clean the skimmer basket.
10. First time and every time you try DE with your sand filter you mix the DE with pool water in a bucket and pour directly into the skimmer, any skimmer. I usually dump in the skimmer closest to my filter. You can get DE at most places that carry pool chemicals. Got mine at a local farm store, have seen at Home Depot and Lowes. Can get online but shipping is costly. Last resort... pool store. :ncool:

Okay here is everything I have. Idk how to create an album on here or anything:
pemevuse.jpg
ehusymer.jpg
rebanepa.jpg
7yqera7a.jpg
a8u3y3uq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14458615973_120d74541a_o.gif

I would like to really jump in here and call a pause to this thread! I've read the posts from today, and in all honesty, I'm lost! I had a hard time myself following the posts from today. I think this member is getting WAY too much info from us, and we're running in circles. We are quickly coming to the point where somebodies head may explode.......and it could be mine! Let's all call time-out and get back to basics.

lynzizzle,

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to TFP! We really do hope we can help you out! By teaching a few simple basics you'll get your pool in shape, and have the skills to keep it that way. Promise you it's not as hard as you'd think. I'd like to ask you a few questions to start you off.
  1. Do you currently have ANY test kits?
  2. What does the water look like? A photo will help greatly.
  3. Does your filter and pump work correctly?
  4. What chemicals do you have on hand for Pool Care. Again, photo's if you're not sure what they are help.
  5. What articles have you read in Pool School?

To everybody else, I'd like to call time and allow lynzizzle the time to answer these questions. From there let's try and keep everything simple......as the TFPC method is designed to be simple for all by using a few basic steps. None of which have been started yet from what I can tell.

I read the pool school and it said to use it with a Sand Filter. See why I am so lost?

DE is usually used with DE filters.

You have a sand filter, so to keep things simple for now, I wouldn't concern yourself with using it for now.

That being said, you CAN use it with a sand filter, and it does enhance filtration for the smallest of particles. At the stage you are at now though, it would just make things more complicated for you.

When your SLAM is done, and things are looking clear, then you can think about adding DE to your sand filter to make things sparkly.

Also, if you do go to the pool store and buy DE, don't tell them you have a sand filter. They will think you are dumb, and then they will try to sell you either an alum based filter aid or a flocculant. (Neither of which you need)

UPDATE: sorry, replied before I saw the pause

1.Do you currently have ANY test kits? NO
2.What does the water look like? A photo will help greatly.
3.Does your filter and pump work correctly? Yes, new pump last season. New internal parts on filter 2 weeks ago complete with fresh sand.
4.What chemicals do you have on hand for Pool Care. Again, photo's if you're not sure what they are help. Only chemicals on hand: bleach and 3" tablets
5.What articles have you read in Pool School? I've read everything twice.

10) Diatomaceous earth is not normally used in a sand filter, but it can be uses as a filtering aid. I would not worry using DE until you get to the end of your SLAM process, and only when your pool already mostly clear. It helps get the very fine particles out of the water, but if you use it too early, you may find yourself backwashing very frequently. If you decide to use it, make sure you get pool grade (and not food grade) DE, and follow the directions here.

I have used DE in my sand filter, and it works well. Use it too much and it can really clog things very quickly!

Good catch - I didn't realize she had a sand filter with the split thread. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.