Ool Newbie - Notice there's no "P" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overwhelmed!

By the time I read and re-read everything to the point of even understanding it will be next summer ...

How do I know if the bottom of the pool is clean enough to start "SLAM"ing the pool? Why use bleach if the liquid chlorine has higher levels? How do I get sand out of the bottom of the pool (unsure if any down there)?

And this test kit everyone is telling me to get, only comes with 7 tests ... the way I understand it, I have to test and test and test again those tests will be used up in the first week I get it!

Lynzizzle,

I know how discouraged you must feel right now. You've already spent $1000s and you still don't have a pool to swim in. You may even be thinking it was a mistake to buy a house with a pool. Overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, angry...perhaps some or all of these emotions apply to you right now. How do I know?

Because I have been there. Most of us who are on this forum have been there. The forum is filled with stories of folks EXACTLY in the same spot that you are in now. And in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE, those folks who have FOLLOWED THE ADVICE given by the experts here have taken control of their pool while saving serious amounts of cash in the process.

I know that the last thing you want to hear is that you have to buy an 'expensive' test kit and that the $$$ you have already dumped into your water has been largely for naught. But I have to tell you that the absolute best decision you ever made with regard to your pool was starting this thread and asking for help. The 2nd best decision you will ever make is to buy a recommended test kit (and I highly recommend the TF-100 XL which will save you money in the long run!)

The alternative is to run to another pool store and spend unknown $$$ on more magic beans that may or may not solve the issue. Unlike the local pool guy who threw up his hands, look at how many folks from this forum jumped into this thread to voice their support. I promise you that the experts here will stick with you as long as you are willing to follow the advice.

Clearing a swamp is a mini-project. You will get tired of clearing muck from the bottom. You will get tired of hauling bleach. But in less time than you might think, you will have a pool that is the envy of neighbors and that is truly trouble free. The first time your neighbors come over and say "I've never seen this pool look so good" remember that I told you so.

Stick with it. YOU can do this. We WILL help.

Re: Overwhelmed!

Start SLAM'ing the pool.

Order the kit and run your numbers. I've had my TF100 for 2years and haven't ran out yet. The kit performs 7 test multiple times.

Why worry about sand on tell floor if you're not even sure it's there?

Please follow the links in Pool School.

Step one is to get a test kit so you know which end is up.

On the bleach vs liquid chlorine...they are the same thing. There are multiple strengths that are available. Some people can only get normal "bleach" strengths, others can get the stronger stuff. Most find it useful to try and figure out what's most cost effective, then buy that one.

On your initial Question on when to start SLAMing the pool due to debris on the bottom. SLAM now, get as much crud out as you can. The less in there the better.

On the test kit. It tests 7 different parameters, all of which are important when keeping a pool. You will have enough supplies to run each test many many times. The XL option might be wise for you, since it comes with more of the chlorine test stuff that you will go through a bunch while SLAMing. Personally I suggest the "speedstir" to everyone, as it makes the test process so much easier.

Regarding the quantity of bleach to purchase, I'd buy at least 10 gallons of Clorox to start with. (don't pour it all in at once.) You can figure out how much water your pool really holds once you start testing and dosing the pool. Per the Pool math link on this site. You really need a good test kit to SLAM a pool, and to ensure that all the algae is dead. So I'll suggest that again. Buy the TF100.

Scoop out as much gunk as you can. When your leaf net no longer gets any solid debris you can start slamming. You could start slamming before you get all the debris out, but the chlorine will be more effective when there are less solids in the pool.

The concentration of chlorine in regular bleach and liquid chlorine from the pool store is the only difference between the two. Pricing and availability of 10-12% chlorine varies across the country (and throughout the world, we are building an international presence as well) that's why we recommend grocery store bleach, just about everyone has that available at a reasonable price. If you can get 10-12% liquid chlorine at a good price in your area that is great and would be the best choice for your slam.

As the slam progresses you will be brushing and vacuuming the pool. That will take care of any sand that may be on the bottom of the pool.

The TF 100 has enough testing reagents to perform far more than 7 chlorine tests. There is also the option to order the XL size which doubles the amount of chlorine tests. When you begin the slam you will take a baseline test for FC (free chlorine), CC (combined chlorine, a waste by-product of chlorine oxidation) TA (total alkalynity) CH (calcium hardness) CYA (cyuranic acid, also known as stabilizer or conditioner) and pH. We ask that you post the test results here so we can advise you if anything needs to be adjusted before the slam begins. Once the slam has started you will be testing FC several times a day, CC once a day, and pH once a week. You won't need to test TA, CH, or CYA during the slam, since those values are not effected by the slam process. Other than the chlorine test, the TF 100 should last 1-2 years, depending on how often you test.

Just read the information enough to be familiar with the terminology. Once you start slamming and testing the water it will make a lot more sense.

I would encourage you to read 1 article in Pool School and understand it before moving on. There are 2 articles you should read though and they are the ABC'S and SLAM'ing the pool. Lets take this one thing at a time since it's confusing for you.

What zea3 said....but I will add that I ordered my kit at the beginning of the season last year and performed countless tests trying to clear my pool, yet I am still on my original test kit and expect to make it to the end of this season before reordering. So the test kit looks like a big expense up front, but you can probably spread that cost over 2 seasons.

I suspect the only reagents you might run out of in the first season are the FAS-DPD test reagents, so order the XL option. And when you run out of those, you don't have to order a new kit, you can just order those specific reagents. You will not perform the other tests nearly as frequently as your CH and CYA numbers should not change as long as you do not replace water or intentionally add those to your pool.

Please keep your post together so we can all be on the same page and help you get through this Lynzizzle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went from this:

to this:

In my first year with a pool and I was lucky enough to find this site right away too. I also had to deal with an ammonia problem, which if I hadn't found this site, I would have been clueless about and likely spent oodles of cash at the pool store. I have a healthy science/laboratory background so the test kit was more fun for me than intimidating but the directions are very good and people here are more than willing to help to the end with answers that make sense and don't try to reach in your pocket to sell you snake oil or false hope. It's REAL hope for your pool.

My pool got the green monster just once. I didn't have a neglected pool, just a algae attack. I went from clear freshly filled water to a murky green pool in a matter of days.
I have no idea how much bleach I used after I found TFP, but it was enough that my husband started talking about rationing it.
Apparently all the organic matter in the pool will EAT your chlorine. I think I read some analogy between dirty pools with chlorine and a teenage boy with milk.
Once it hit the plateau tho, my chlorine additions started lasting longer.
I watched my water go from green to murky brown then to cloudy white. The cloudy is almost completely gone now after a week of "guestimate" slamming and a week of full out slamming after I got my test kit.
It will take some time, you have a bigger pool than I do.

And yes, the test kit chemicals will last a while. I was testing several times a day during the 3 day slam and I'm not even halfway through my chemicals yet. Plus, you don't have to order the whole kit when you need more of one chemical, you just order the one item. TFTestkits ships QUICK too. Ordered on Friday, shipped on Friday, delivered Tuesday.

I have read the success stories. They gave me hope. You should too. Forget about the swamp for a few minutes and read a green-to-clean story. I hope the sparkling water images will give you motivation to get through this.
This one is hilarious!! http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72594-Proud-owner-of-a-glorious-swamp!

Hi Lyn! Welcome!

It's crazy overwhelming isn't it? It will get better. It really will.

I'm not going to throw in a bunch of advice just a few comments that I hope will help.

We won't throw our hands up and give up. You can ask as many questions as you want. We'll answer.

The kit really is worth it and it's necessary. It keeps you from wasting money by throwing in chemicals that you're not even sure you need!

Liquid Chlorine is Bleach is Liquid Chlorine. I've almost exclusively used Great Value (Wal-mart brand) Up & Up (target brand) and a local grocery store brand. They all sell for about $2.69 - $2.99 for a 121oz bottle. The percent is lower than the more concentrated "liquid chlorine" but I find it to be more convenient to just grab it when I'm at the store.

Testing your chlorine is really easy. You'll see when you get the kit. You get your sample of pool water. Drop a little scoop of powder in which turns it pink, then just put in the test drops 1 at a time until it turns clear again. No guesswork and no science background needed. Just count drops.

A lot of people have started out where you are. Heck, my pool was a disgusting green mess last year. (I hadn't discovered how to do it the TFP way yet!) I couldn't see what I was doing but I just kept scooping stuff up and taking it out.

We can absolutely definitely help you take control of this thing! You ask us what you need to and you'll learn along the way. The first thing is to get a good testing kit so you can know where you are and while you're waiting just keep scooping that gunk out. You can't see it but just keep dragging that leaf net around the bottom. Anything you can get out will help down the road. Anything that's left will be taken care of as you go!

Believe it or not, once you have a kit and can post up test results it will actually get a whole lot simpler. With test results we can tell you exactly what to do one step at a time. Exactly what amount of "stuff" to use. Exactly how to put it in. Exactly how long to wait before testing it again.

Pre-kit it's more trying to give you the idea of the process ahead which is a lot to take in but one step at a time it really is a very simple process.

We don't want you to waste any more money! Most of us have been there and we know what it's like. Chlorine is a consumable item so although your pool company dumped a bunch in there the green monster ate it! The reason we use the test kit is so that we don't waste the chlorine and the money we spend on it. We want it all to go to good use so we need to know exactly how much you need to start and most importantly *FINISH* killing off the algae and anything else that's lurking in there. No guessing.

My few comments turned into a book! :crazy:

I'll close my little help session with this: (lol)

You're starting at the hardest part. It only gets better from here. A SLAM (especially starting from a swamp) takes some time and patience and a whole lot of bleach **BUT** when you're done and your pool is sparkling you'll move into maintenance mode which is really really really simple. Don't let the amount of bleach/chlorine needed for the SLAM scare you. Normal maintenance is much much less. You won't be going through tons of bleach anymore. That's only to take back a swamp from the algae monsters!

Stick with it. We'll stick with you! The overwhemingness (new word!) will go away. It always does!

Thanks for reading my big long book! Welcome again! :)

*ps*

We can even help with things like identifying what type of pool surface you have, what kind of pump, what all the plumbing does etc. There are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge. If you don't know what something you have is...take a pic, upload it to a photo sharing site like photobucket and post it right in this thread. Someone will know what it is and what it does and how to use it! :)

Okay so after all that, can I put bleach in NOW to get the process started? Or do I have to wait til I have the tester? I really need to get on this. It's been weeks to no avail. And if they've already put all that shock/chlorine in it, will pouring bleach in it have any affects I should know of?

And if they've already put all that shock/chlorine in it, will pouring bleach in it have any affects I should know of?

The bleach/chlorine/shock is consumable by both organics and sunlight. Whatever they put in, depending on how long ago is all gone by now. When you start your SLAM you have to maintain the shock level by constantly adding bleach/chlorine/shock until the water is clean and pass the overnight test (this will take a little patience).

Hopefully one of the more experienced members can help with something you can do while you wait for the kit. The thing is, you can put bleach in now it won't hurt anything or react with anything but it won't be doing a whole lot if you can't test and maintain the right amount.

I've seen a jug or so a day (depending on pool size) recommended to help keep it at bay until your kit arrives but if it's already green and swampy it might not be doing much more than wasting that bleach. Might make you feel like you're at least doing something but "Scientifically" it might not really be worth it.

I'd hate to see you wasting the bleach and the money spent on it by guessing. Might be better to just start stockpiling some while you're scooping out everything you can that way when you have a kit in hand you'll be ready to go.

The way the SLAM process works is by knowing you're using the amount needed to get ahead of the algae. If you undershoot you'll be wasting the chlorine mainly because the algae will be able to keep growing faster than you're killing it. If you can't test to find out how fast the chlorine is being used up you won't know when and how much to add to stay ahead.

If it were me I'd go ahead and order a kit and get it on it's way. You should have it in a few days and then you'll be able to hit it hard! In the meantime it won't make that much difference since it's already a swamp.

The only other alternative is to just do what the pool store says and hope for the best but that will probably cost a heck of a lot more money and it might not work. A properly done SLAM *always* works!

*edit*

You posted before I could finish typing! lol

I'm glad you decided to order a kit. Now I'll sit back and I'm sure someone better than me (lol) can give you a suggested amount if it's something they think might be worth a try. :)

Nothing like knowing you need chlorine but not knowing how much! I can imagine the frustration!

Bleach will not raise your CYA or CH, which is a good thing. You could start putting bleach in now, but you really do need the test kit to perform the slam efficiently. Otherwise you are just guessing at how much chlorine to put in the pool.

You can go ahead and have a pool store test the water and report the results here. Don't buy anything from them until you post the results here and gotten feedback from us. Our advice will depend on the test results.

While I completely understand you're wanting to get started, Beens has the right answer. It's really impossible to tell how much chlorine you need to add without a good test first. It may even be that you need to drain some water to get the CYA down before you start SLAMing the pool.

Your test kit will be there in a couple of days and the best thing you can do until then is scoop as much stuff out as possible and if you've done that then running the pump and keeping the skimmer basket clean is about all you can do.

If you feel that you just must get started it's probably safe to pour 2 large jugs of bleach in the pool each day until the test kit arrives.

UPDATE: Test Kit ordered. Can I get a head start and start pouring bleach in???

Congratulations on taking the first step to take control of your pool! While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, keep scooping out the crud!

Start looking for a good supply of bleach. You will want to look for plain, unscented bleach with no thickeners, perfumes or additives. You will find either 6% or "concentrated" 8.25% at just about any store. Be prepared for funny looks when checking out with a grocery cart full of bleach! The pool store liquid chlorine is the exact same stuff, and is usually 12.5%. You may find the pool store chlorine to be the best bang for your buck, depending on how much they are charging for it. You can use the calculator here to find the best price per ounce.

Learn how to operate your filter. You will be backwashing frequently during the SLAM process. Here is a video that shows how to backwash a common type of sand filter.

Grab your camera and take lots of pictures. Forum members thrive on good green-to-clean pictures! You can also post pictures of your equipment and you can get help here identifying and operating your pump and filter.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.