Reccomended CYA level

Jun 4, 2014
Northern CA
This is my first year with TFP, so far kickin butt too. Past years I have had low chlorine levels that are non-responsive to shock etc, along with algae in the later season. I know know that my problem was the use of triclor tabs and the (I assume) super high CYA levels that result and so on..
So I found this site, bought a test kit and followed the instructions taught by the experts here. My pool drank something like 16+ gallons of 10% bleach before FC would even register on a test (unofficial diagnosis of ammonia problem), SLAMmed for 3 days and finally this morning had an overnight FC loss of 0. Pool looks great!

test results this evening:
FC 8 (was 16 this morning)
CC 0
CYA low 30's
TA 110
ph 7.2

I realize PH needs to come up, however what is best to do so without raising TA too high and how high is tolerable for TA before I should be concerned?
My FC loss for today is 8. My pool is full sun all day. Should I raise my CYA to help hold more FC due to high sun loss? if so how high to take it?

Other than that my pool is looking great. Thanks to everyone, this site is awesome.

Your pH is fine where it is but if you want to bring it up you can point the return so the water breaks the surface of the pool. This aerates the pool and will drive pH up. Running a pool fountain will do the same thing.

How do they word it? Chlorine loss is not linear based, so you will lose more fc in a day starting with 16 as opposed to starting with 8. I would still think being in CA it would be recommended to raise your CYA. If you want a number, 50 is a good number and see how that goes when maintaining a minimum of 4 fc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.