Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Can you use the vac port and a hose to suck up the DE slurry from a bucket? I currently have a skimmer that needs repair and is inoperable at the moment but I need to clean the filter thoroughly.
    12k gal, IG plaster, Hayward 2hp pump (unsure of model), Pentair/Purex SMBW 2048 Filter, built approx 1989, Teledyne Laars Heater, attached spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Sure, that will work.

Be careful not to get too much air in the pump. An assistant to add more water to the bucket as you go would help, or place the bucket floating in the pool so you can push it under water as you are finishing up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I was going to have my husband refill the bucket until all DE is sucked up, then sink the bucket into the pool as to not get air in the line. Thank you. I think I can finally tackle this filter after reading all the info on here. That filter is definitely more intimidating when you have no knowledge of how it works and all the components.
    12k gal, IG plaster, Hayward 2hp pump (unsure of model), Pentair/Purex SMBW 2048 Filter, built approx 1989, Teledyne Laars Heater, attached spa.