Is this normal?

Hoster

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Going through SLAM.

1. Cleaned the pump filter last week
2. Backwashed and re-filled DE
3. When I dumped DE into the skimmer, I noticed white powder coming out of return jet (not the typical salt-based Chlorine)
4. Just opened and saw this - I think everything is intact

Not sure why DE is not "sticking".....I have done the filter cleaning 1-2 times a season...will check whether I have any damages / rips in the media but when I was washing those filters last week, didn't have any. Any inputs / advice is greatly appreciated, as usual!! Struggling with numerous issues this season.....unbelievable...

Attachments

• 20230711_175422.jpg
    20230711_175422.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 25
Going through SLAM.

1. Cleaned the pump filter last week
2. Backwashed and re-filled DE
3. When I dumped DE into the skimmer, I noticed white powder coming out of return jet (not the typical salt-based Chlorine)
4. Just opened and saw this - I think everything is intact

Not sure why DE is not "sticking".....I have done the filter cleaning 1-2 times a season...will check whether I have any damages / rips in the media but when I was washing those filters last week, didn't have any. Any inputs / advice is greatly appreciated, as usual!! Struggling with numerous issues this season.....unbelievable...
Pump off, DE falls off. Pump on, DE recoats grid. "Sticking" DE would indicate, among other things, oils on the grids or in the DE itself. Areas of no DE on those grids could be blocked by oils or other debris. Soak overnight in a good filter-cleaning product.

Reactions: Hoster
Pump off, DE falls off. Pump on, DE recoats grid. "Sticking" DE would indicate, among other things, oils on the grids or in the DE itself. Areas of no DE on those grids could be blocked by oils or other debris. Soak overnight in a good filter-cleaning product.
Thanks for the feedback and just cleaned the media again (no rips / tears). Just googled and will soak them overnight in muriatic acid / water (1:5 I think). Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback and just cleaned the media again (no rips / tears). Just googled and will soak them overnight in muriatic acid / water (1:5 I think). Thanks!
NO, NO, NO! Never use acid first, it will cause any oils to form a coating on the fabric that can't be removed. Always soak in a cleaner, or a cup of real TSP and water, to get the oils off first. You usually can't see oil in the fabric, but it is there.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I've never heard of this, In all the years of owning a pool the DE has always been stuck to the filters, even on new filters. When I do a cleanout they are caked and nothing on the bottom inside of the filter except for a small amount of heavy sand. Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of DE? If falls off with the pump off, then when you turn the pump on it would also suck the dust/dirt onto the filters which could cause abrasion and tears?

NO, NO, NO! Never use acid first, it will cause any oils to form a coating on the fabric that can't be removed. Always soak in a cleaner, or a cup of real TSP and water, to get the oils off first. You usually can't see oil in the fabric, but it is there.
Understood....when I googled, a few sites recommended Muriatic Acid as an option but will refrain from it.

Understood....when I googled, a few sites recommended Muriatic Acid as an option but will refrain from it.
A lot of bad info out there. IF there is calcium left after a soaking in a high pH product to remove the oils, a mild acid wash can be done. It looks like a light tan coating that is a bit hard/stiff. Before using an acid soak, put a drop on what you see. If it bubbles its likely calcium.

I've never heard of this, In all the years of owning a pool the DE has always been stuck to the filters, even on new filters. When I do a cleanout they are caked and nothing on the bottom inside of the filter except for a small amount of heavy sand. Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of DE? If falls off with the pump off, then when you turn the pump on it would also suck the dust/dirt onto the filters which could cause abrasion and tears?
Idea behind a DE filter is to have all the DE and dirt fall off when the pump shuts off. The heavier dirt is supposed to stay in the bottom of the tank while the lighter DE recoats the grids. Only takes a few seconds for that
to happen.

DE and the polyester material on a grid "love" oils and that is the usual reason you will see DE on a grid when it is removed from the filter. Install new grids (oil free when new), new DE, run the filter a while. Open the filter and most of the DE will have fallen off. Yes, some will stick in the pores of the grid and be on top of the manifold, and in/on the air screen.

Idea behind a DE filter is to have all the DE and dirt fall off when the pump shuts off. The heavier dirt is supposed to stay in the bottom of the tank while the lighter DE recoats the grids. Only takes a few seconds for that
to happen.

DE and the polyester material on a grid "love" oils and that is the usual reason you will see DE on a grid when it is removed from the filter. Install new grids (oil free when new), new DE, run the filter a while. Open the filter and most of the DE will have fallen off. Yes, some will stick in the pores of the grid and be on top of the manifold, and in/on the air screen.
great insights...by the way, do we really need a DE filter grid specific cleaning solution or something like spraying / soaking in general purpose cleaner such as Purple Power work (diluted).?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
great insights...by the way, do we really need a DE filter grid specific cleaning solution or something like spraying / soaking in general purpose cleaner such as Purple Power work (diluted).?
Other than soaking in a solution of real TSP (not the substitute), I have no experience with other household cleaners. Since I dealt with customer's pools and equipment I found it safer to use products designed for pools to avoid issues that may arise.

sounds good...by the way, assuming everything is working properly, how long before my pool clears up from the residual DE? As I am at the tail end (hopefully) of SLAM, and hard to tell whether the cloudiness is due to excess / residual DE vs. algae. My FC so far is holding well (FC of 5 and was 7.5 last night)....

sounds good...by the way, assuming everything is working properly, how long before my pool clears up from the residual DE? As I am at the tail end (hopefully) of SLAM, and hard to tell whether the cloudiness is due to excess / residual DE vs. algae. My FC so far is holding well (FC of 5 and was 7.5 last night)....

DE is more dense than water so it will settle at the bottom. It is best to simply do a slow-vacuum of the pool bottom to capture it and send it back to the filter. If you don’t have a manual vacuum it’s going to take a long time to clear because it does not stay suspended in water for long.

DE is more dense than water so it will settle at the bottom. It is best to simply do a slow-vacuum of the pool bottom to capture it and send it back to the filter. If you don’t have a manual vacuum it’s going to take a long time to clear because it does not stay suspended in water for long.
Got it..and I do see DE settling at the bottom and some in my Polaris bag (initially thought this was washing soda I put in for Ph balance)...and this will be the first time using the vacuum to get the DE back in the filter (I only used the vacuum when I open to get the algae out).

So I would use the vacuum in "the "Filter" mode of my MPV, correct?

And if the DE settles at the bottom, the cloudiness is NOT due to DE but due to algae? Can I assume DE does not impact the clarity of the water as they settle at the bottom for the most part?

Thanks for your advice!!

Finish the SLAM before worrying too much about the DE on the bottom. DE settles when the pump is turned off, algae (for the most part) does not. So you need to get past the SLAM first and your overnight loss of 2.5ppm is still quite high. OCLT needs to be less than 1.0ppm and should, honestly, be nearly zero.

Finish the SLAM before worrying too much about the DE on the bottom. DE settles when the pump is turned off, algae (for the most part) does not. So you need to get past the SLAM first and your overnight loss of 2.5ppm is still quite high. OCLT needs to be less than 1.0ppm and should, honestly, be nearly zero.
Yes, sir!! I have been fighting three things at the same time last few days and as you suggested, SLAM is first...then DE...then rusty water...I was going back and forth between ascorbic acid and liquid chlorine which negates each other :) Oh, not to mention CYA decreasing and Ph going down quickly (and TA increasing significantly mostly due to liquid chlorine for SLAM)....just frustrating as last 4-5 seasons have been basically worry-free (except for the rusty water) but changed quickly within a span of 24 hours (e.g., crystal clear on July 4th then suddenly cloudy on July 5th...struggling since with 30 gallons of liquid chlorine).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.