So embarrassed...Defeating the Giant Green Monster

Re: So embarrassed....

Good Luck Jules! I'm surprised my pool didn't turn to a swamp last year right after I put it up. Heck I'm surprised I even got the pool up because of life (my husband was in a motorcycle accident right before install and I was taking care of him afterward along with the pool! I almost didn't cover it because I was tired but I did and I'm so glad I did!) Don't be embarrassed. You seem to know what you need to do. :goodjob:

Thank you, Casey! I followed your story last summer. I was happy to read he's doing so much better. Hopefully this summer you can fully enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Thanks Jules! He's very excited about swimming but it's so cold!!! :mrgreen:

I hear you on the MA. I've never dealt with it til the other day when I added borates to our water. I had to use 4 gallons of MA! :shock:

Holy cow! 4 gallons? I thought 43oz was bad. I borated our first pool (16' intex), and I loved it! I never got around to doing this one last year. Maybe this year I'll do it. You're going to love it! The water feels softer and is so sparkly!

I added 43oz of MA, per PoolMath, an hour ago. I've checked my ph twice and it's still at 8.2. Could my ph be higher than 8.2? The pump hasn't been running in about a month, if that matters. The MA is from last year, I just opened it today.

Any insight?

Not from personal experience, but I have read that since the test only goes to 8.2 it's definitely possible that you are higher than that. I have seen a bunch of people who had to keep adding until it finally came below the 8.2.

So as long as your FC is not above 10, (which it isn't because you didn't actually start adding chlorine yet right?) keep on keepin on with the acid till you get the ph down. :)

Not from personal experience, but I have read that since the test only goes to 8.2 it's definitely possible that you are higher than that. I have seen a bunch of people who had to keep adding until it finally came below the 8.2.

So as long as your FC is not above 10, (which it isn't because you didn't actually start adding chlorine yet right?) keep on keepin on with the acid till you get the ph down. :)

You're right, I haven't added any chlorine yet. Dang, I really was hoping I was done with the MA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can someone explain how to vacuum to waste, please. I have a pool rover, but it gets clogged within minutes. I bought a vacuum head from Lowes yesterday, it connects to a hose and then the hose connects to the skimmer plate (I think that is the correct term). Am I able to vacuum to waste with the latter set-up?

What kind of filter do you have again? If it's a cart, I would put your vac in the pool, fill the hose completely with water by using the return and cap the end with your hand and pull it over the side of the pool and start a siphon and vac to waste. It's the same concept and when you're done, just pull the vac out of the pool and refill.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the pH being really high it won't register and your MA additions aren't bringing it down, keep adding the MA until it starts to lower. You can do this every half hour. Check it and keep adding until you get it into range. :goodjob:

What kind of filter do you have again? If it's a cart, I would put your vac in the pool, fill the hose completely with water by using the return and cap the end with your hand and pull it over the side of the pool and start a siphon and vac to waste. It's the same concept and when you're done, just pull the vac out of the pool and refill.

It's a cartridge filter, listed in my sig. I'll try that method. Thank you!

I've added 132oz of MA so far, and my ph is still reading 8.2. I have to go to lowes now and get more. I've never had ph this high and stubborn before. I'm so ready to start SLAMming this pool!

What would cause it to get that high? Like I said earlier, the pump has been off for over a month (until today). My ph has always stayed in the normal range, leaning more towards the low side.

Jules, have you checked the strength of the MA you are using? Usually, 31.45% is the most common and the default for the PoolMatH calculator . Many folks have bought a weaker strength MA, without realizing it. Just a heads-up :wink:

Jules, have you checked the strength of the MA you are using? Usually, 31.45% is the most common and the default for the PoolMatH calculator . Many folks have bought a weaker strength MA, without realizing it. Just a heads-up :wink:

It's 31.45. After my post I realized the MA I was using wasn't from last summer, but the summer before. Maybe it lost potency? I'll be testing in about 20 mins.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.