Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So embarrassed...Defeating the Giant Green Monster

1. Back To Top    #1

So embarrassed...Defeating the Giant Green Monster

My pool is green, dark green.

At what point is it better to drain and start over? I can't believe it got this bad. Life has been hectic the last several months and before I knew it I had a swamp on my hands.

Edited to add: full set of test results and pics

Fc- 0
    Cc- 0
    Ph- 8.2
    Ta- 80
    Ch- 80
    Cya- 25

-Julie
    25,600gal/33' x 52" Sharkline Heritage, Pentair Clean & Clear 150sq ft filter, 1.5hp dual speed Optiflo pump, TF-100 test kit, BBB method, Pool Rover S2-40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So embarrassed....

First thing is get a good test kit and post the results...doubt you have to waste all that water !!!

Then read Pool School
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

If there are several inches of solid debris in the pool, then yes drain/dredge and start over. Otherwise it is best to leave the water in and SLAM the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I see you have the TF-100, How is your CYA level? That looks like a lot of gallons to drain!

Why not a green to clean SLAM?

You're either going to be paying for the water or paying for the bleach. Well either way since most times it's not safe to drain completely you'll need to SLAM.

I think the first request of everyone here is going to be....

or maybe a picture.

*edit*

and don't be embarassed! Life happens. On the bright side, green pools make for stunning rehab pics!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Give me a few to get pics and a full set of tests.
    -Julie
    25,600gal/33' x 52" Sharkline Heritage, Pentair Clean & Clear 150sq ft filter, 1.5hp dual speed Optiflo pump, TF-100 test kit, BBB method, Pool Rover S2-40

6. Back To Top    #6

Added test results and link to pics in first post.
    -Julie

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm no expert - but SLAM SLAM SLAM - IMHO your water is salvageable, assuming you don't have 5" of solid debris, etc.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

I've often wondered about the drain/refill vs. SLAM approach. I barely noticed the cost of the 9,200 gallons of water required to fill my pool when it was new, and I don't believe I have an issue with a shallow water table. In any event, it only took about 10 hours to fill my pool. Could the pool shell pop up in such a short time?

While I don't see it happening, if I ever really let it go and ended up with a swamp, I'd be inclined to drain/refill--especially with a cartridge filter. If it just turned a little green or cloudy, I'd SLAM it. My only concern is the water table issue.

I suppose the water table can change, but there clearly was not a problem when my pool was built.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

You have a very HIGH water table in Houston. That's what will make a shell pop out. Too much water too close to the surface.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    I'm no expert - but SLAM SLAM SLAM - IMHO your water is salvageable, assuming you don't have 5" of solid debris, etc.
    I definitely don't have 5" of debris. I guess I'm going to SLAM it. I'll be updating this thread with pics. I'll more than likely start tomorrow. I need to get a stockpile of bleach going.
    -Julie

11. Back To Top    #11

I have successfully battled a pool that was that bad or worse. It can be done:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Algae-Success

In addition to everything else, I would highly recommend taking the steps out while you SLAM. They are a trap for debris and poor circulation.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    You have a very HIGH water table in Houston. That's what will make a shell pop out. Too much water too close to the surface.
    Would that have been apparent when they dug the hole? It was dry as a bone down to 6 feet (my pool is 4.5 feet at the deep end) when my pool was excavated in Aug. 2010.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool looked that way when I uncovered it on Saturday. I started the SLAM process on Sunday once the pool was full of water. 24 hours later its looking so much better but the bad part is I've been having to backwash my DE filter every 3-4 hours so at night I just bypass the filter and get it going again in the morning. I'd give my pool another couple of days and maybe 40 more pounds of DE and I'll be there . I was disgusted yesterday and much happier today with all the hard work I put in (scrubbing the walls, cleaning the robot, checking the FC, adding bleach, and lots of backwashing the filter).
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Water may be cheap here but I know that the aquifer that we are using locally is 40,000 year old water. And it is refilling at about half the rate we are draining it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

The first step in SLAMing the pool is to lower the PH to around 7.2 to 7.4. Full instructions are in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The first step in SLAMing the pool is to lower the PH to around 7.2 to 7.4. Full instructions are in the How To section of Pool School.
    That's my very first step tomorrow morning. I've helped friends with the SLAM process before (ironic?). I bought all of the bleach my local walmart had (17 jugs), I'll send DH out tomorrow to the next town over to pick up as much as he can. We're going to need it!
    -Julie

17. Back To Top    #17

But it at Sam's if you have one close by. $8.19 for 3 Clorox brand jugs (121 oz each at 8.25%).
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by RUSigX View Post
    But it at Sam's if you have one close by. $8.19 for 3 Clorox brand jugs (121 oz each at 8.25%).
    The closest Sam's is an hour away, and we aren't members. We use Costco, but it's just as far, so it's not really cost effective unless we're in the area already.
    -Julie

19. Back To Top    #19

Good Luck Jules! I'm surprised my pool didn't turn to a swamp last year right after I put it up. Heck I'm surprised I even got the pool up because of life (my husband was in a motorcycle accident right before install and I was taking care of him afterward along with the pool! I almost didn't cover it because I was tired but I did and I'm so glad I did!) Don't be embarrassed. You seem to know what you need to do.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Yep no reason to be embarrassed ! It's only pool water and it's fixable. We'll help ya. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast