Pump timing

hurt5150

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Missouri
I purchased a mechanical timer that can have up to 12 on/off cycles. I read in pool school that even 4 hours daily can be enough but I am a clean freak and I can't stand stuff floating on top of my pool.

Last year we ran the pump 24/7 because that's what all our neighbors do and that's what the pool store recommended when we were shopping for pools.

I am pondering going to 12 hours total and then decreasing as I can tolerate. My question is, does anyone else run for a couple hours and then off for a couple hours? How is that working for the people that do?

I consider myself to be a pool maintenance toddler rather than an infant now because this will be my second summer! I always appreciate any guidance on issues that I may not have enough insight on, so don't hold back! Thanks in advance.

I run mine 6-8 hrs a day on two cycles. Sometimes 3 cycles. It's on a timer with preset on/ off stops. Depends on how much skimming I need. 24/7 is wayyy overkill. Like you suggested start at 10-12 hrs and then back it down till you don't like what you see and take it back up an hour. It's something you have to play with as every pool is different. ?

Running the pump for several short periods spread around the clock is ideal. The ideal is to run just long enough for the skimmers to pick up most of the debris, perhaps half an hour, and then do that once every three or four hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.