Seasonal pump timing changes

bubbles^2

Jul 2, 2021
Arizona
Still learning with this pool. Hadn't realized I could reduce the pool pump running time during the "winter" when the temperature of the water dropped below 55 degrees, as the SWG would stop producing chlorine. Realizing this I went ahead and dropped the pump timing at 20 gpm to 5 hours instead of the 10 hours at 20 gpm it was at before.

Amusing a few days later the water temperature has gotten above 55 degrees so the SWG is again producing chlorine. The SWG is oversized so that I can likely produce enough chlorine even running at only 5 hours as opposed to 10 hours for now.

So now I'm at the other end of the of the dilemma. When to change the pump back to the 10 hours, obviously I'd love to hold out on this as long as possible to save some electricity, but want to keep the pool nice and clear. I'm thinking to go back to 10 hours maybe at 60 degrees or perhaps 65 degrees and then adjust the SWG accordingly, and I realize there's likely no specific rule, but figure it would make sense to do a sanity check.

Could of things learned this past year.
1. SWG stops generating chlorine at 55 degrees.
2. get FC up to 20ish before it hits 55 degrees to minimize having to get liquid chlorine.
3. based on my spreadsheet it looks like the pool water temp will be under 55 degrees for roughly 2.5 to 3 months.
4. When the SWG stops generating chlorine drop the pump timing down.

I never change my pump speeds or times between summer and winter seasons here in AZ.
I run 24/7 by choice - and it costs less that $20/month. I run 20 hours at 1200rpm and 4 hours at 2800rpm (for my IFCS to work).
I adjust the SWG percentage to whatever I need based on the season.

My RJ45 runs 9 hours per day (it's on its own timer) all year. Right now it's on 10% of the time. Mid summer it will obviously be a higher percentage.
I think the SWG hit its low temp limit for about 2 weeks, but I had enough FC in the pool that I didn't need to add any liquid chlorine. The low limit seems to be 52°F this winter.
I'm pretty sure the low temp limit varies with each unit - even within the same manufacturer. Maybe production is based on water temp and salt content (conductivity).

Without automation, it's easier for me to not have to reprogram the pump as the seasons change. A simple up/down of the SWG percentage works well for me.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Bubbles,

I personally like making a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. The idea of making chlorine for 10 hours and them letting the pool sit for 14 hours before making more chlorine does not appeal to me.

I run my IntelliFlo 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, and it costs me less than $20 bucks a month, and I like that my pools stays skimmed at all times.

Everyone has their own idea as to what works best for them, so you will just need to see what works for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
+3. We like the moving water. 🤷‍♂️

I have never even noticed the difference in the electric bill when the pool was opened, but the meter math lines up with the guys above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.