CapMReynolds

Aug 17, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have never heard of this so I was wondering if this is true… are you meant to run the the pool for every hour per 10 degrees? I was told by the pool place about 6-8 hours during summer nights (here in Phoenix). Below is the thread in Reddit: (original post was about their bill that includes running a pool pump for 12 hours)

1693789943062.jpeg
Thank you for any insight!

giphy (3) (6).gif

You run the pump to perform a function, such as skimming or filtering. The chemicals need about 15 minutes to mix with good circulation. Once a day is likely fine, twice a day is even better.

• Love
Reactions: pjt and PoolStored
You run you pump for a reason:
1) skim
2) add chemicals (dosing pumps, SWCG etc.)
3) Mix chemicals when you are adding to the pool
4) Vacuuming if you have a suction side vacuum
5) Filtering
6) Heating (heater or solar or whatever), or chilling (chiller)
7) to run your spa, jets, waterfall or whatever other feature that is water driven...

Run your pump as long or short as you need to accomplish these tasks to your liking (i.e. skimming clean enough for you, filtering to get the water clarity you want, adding enough chemicals to maintain the pool, etc.)

As to their pool pump, they likely have a 1 or 2 speed pump...might cost some coin.

Many here have a VSP and run 24/7 at low RPM with SWCG to maintain FC. Costs me about $20 a month running VSP low speed.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.