New Homeowner / Pool Owner

opps no sorry to confuse, it is definitely working great

just I don't have a vaccum to waste option or what others call a "drain". I mean , There is a small garden house drain at the bottom of the filter housing , but it didn't work well. When I tried to vaccum to waste with the garden hose drain, most of the water was forced back into the pool and not out the garden hose

gosh what a headache this has been, probably because it was screenless and unattended for 6 months in the summer

Luckily, once its clean I don't have many tress around. ....but hey at least it feels like bath water already

update:

when I got home from work I cleaned the filter , it was filthy. Tested the chlorine and a FC of 11.5ppm and CC of 1ppm , putting in 2 more jugs of bleach tonight to pump the FC back up to ~16ppm and will update in the morning when I have a visual , I have the next 2 days off so it will all be dedicated to attending the pool.

okay update with a visual and some numbers , this morning the fc was at 10ppm and cc is at 1.5 ppm. So i'm going to throw some more bleach in, the psi is still rising rather quickly, cleaning the filter often, still getting quite a bit of organic ( leaves, grass , dirt , half white/half green algae ) matter out with the skimmer but still a lot in the pool, it looks more cloudy today but expected since im stirring a lot of stuff off the bottom of the deep end I couldnt see.

Should I continue this for next few days ?

Also my cartridge might be getting shot , when I first got it, it would start at 10psi. Now after a good hose cleaning it starts at 15-16psi, should I soak it in muriatic acid ? I'm fixing to order a new one, found it for $39 on amazon vs $99 at local pool store

also how quick after I dump more bleach in can i test chlorine to make sure its back up to shock level. I use the pool calculator but I just want to make sure I'm hitting shock level , also hopefully I'm using the right cya ppm to get my shock fc level. Still waiting the full week to make sure its dissolved.

Im having trouble keeping the fc up to 16 shock level

pool math told me to add ~180 ml to get back up to 16ppm from 10ppm , i added 2 121ml , tested about an hour later and it was at 11.5ppm with a 2ppm CC

I just don't know what to do , filter pressure is raising so quickly having to clean it every 30 minutes, and now its starting at 17psi after cleaning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
okay so all day I worked on scrubbing / skimming the pool , still tons of organic matter , might try and rent a submersible pump to vac some of it out.

problem is I cant keep up the fc its dropping faster than I can add bleach....can you ever add too much bleach ? Thinking about dumping in 8 121ml bottles overnight

and pretty sure its 8.25% bleach

Don't get your FC too high. You can go a couple of ticks bigger than SLAM level. In the beginning with all the organics you say you have, it's going to suck it up like college kids at a frat party. ?

When I bought my house last year the whole slamming thing went for 2 and half weeks to pass OCLT, I was struggling to keep up the FC during the slam process, but based on few TFP members recommendation I cleaned inside my pool light, I had both black and green algae inside it and that was consuming most of my chlorine. After the clean up I did pass OCLT within 4 days, Just want to share my experience.

wow thanks for that heads up, is it hard to get into the light ?

also i was at about a 8ppm last time i checked, so I threw in 3 121fl oz jugs about 3 hours ago ... I just checked it and my fc is now at like 1ppm and my cc is at 2ppm I couldn't believe it so I did two 10ml tests to double check.

i don't know if i can afford this , is there anything else I can do to help speed the process I.E. such as clean the light like missourian mentioned

The main thing is that if you have anything in the pool that *can* be scooped out (leaves, black gunk on the bottom etc...) then *do* scoop it out otherwise you'll be spending time and money letting the chlorine get rid of it for you.

Pool stairs seem to be another thing that can hold algae -- basically anything that isn't a nice clean pool surface needs to get the hairy eyeball.

morning update

well last night I had fc of 1ppm so I put in 4 jugs of bleach , this morning I check it and it's back down to like ~2ppm.

So I threw in another 4 jugs, getting quite a bit of organic matter out with the skimmer, a few scoops had the entire skimmer full of leaves =/

Filter is needing to be cleaned almost every 30 minutes

I have a skimmer basket attachment for a vaccumm , going to try that and see if I can pull more organic matter off the bottom and catch it in the basket....a lot of it is getting stirred up and making it hard for me to skim

Sounds like things are working. Every scoop of leaves is probably a jug or three less bleach required.

re: needing to clean the filter frequently, some people have had good luck putting a nylon stocking or similar over the skimmer basket to catch the worst stuff before it hits the filter. You still need to clean "something" frequently but cleaning a sock is generally faster & easier.

okay mid afternoon update , I have a few of those socks laying around so Ill throw a few on the basket , im sure it will only help

just checked the fc and its at 9ppm so it does seem to be holding a little better but still dropping quickly, just going to continue at it and keep praying

, also getting ready to check the light for algae, is it okay to drain a bit while im slamming to expose the light

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.