First Ever Pool - Above ground bestway 4.2m slice of heaven

Hi Punniya........ I've never been a big fan of salt water in swimming pools...... Also salt water systems are not good for intex pools... The frames rust out quickly enough without adding salt to the equation..... I have a Stenner peristaltic pump for bleach waiting to be installed with the rest of the plumbing when it gets here... I also need to get a cover for the pool pump and Stenner...

Hi Sandissimos :) I had to get my test kit through a site called MYUS.com. You basically pay a joining fee and they supply you with a US address you can use to ship stuff to, then they (myus) send it onto the UK for you...

Get an account with MYUS, then go to the test kit website... Buy what you need and send it to the address that myus gives you... They will then send you an email to say a package has arrived for you, then you choose how you want it to be sent, and then bingo, its on its way... Mine got held up in customs but once they realised what it was, and what it was meant to be used for, and what I was testing for, it was sent through.... Customs in Australia are the strictest in the world... A lot of hassle, but the test kits here in Australia just don't hold up....

Yay my pump and hoses have arrived! I still need the most important part which is the cartridge filter!

7d7d2286ba3eb1b750950126aa7fd042.jpg

Here is my spa hose ?

e51edc8e89e07437de7c6035c4adfa1f.jpg

It's flexible and fits my Hayward fittings! The problem is the pump it's 40mm so I will need two adapters but no biggie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay my Hayward 90 degree elbows are here ?

0604d8427cc62dcacb591fcb8bd8d8ac.jpg

If you have intex fittings just ditch them and go with Hayward! I just need ball valves and my cartridge filter and I can install my through the wall skimmer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still playing the waiting game with parts, and my pool is not up to the standard I would normally have it, due to substandard equipment, but I'm making do....

Sunscreen has been accumulating on top of the pool surface, so I've had to hit the spare parts box and dragged out the over the wall skimmer.... It's not ideal, but its really doing the job....

Kind of happy....... January will see everything set up including the Stenner pump.....

Talk about a substandard filter and pump.... I've had so many issues, like not being able to change the filter cartridge because I cut an extra hole in the liner and I needed the second plunger valve to shut the unused hole off....So the return to the pool is just screwed onto the fitting with no valve or ball valve.... I don't have a T junction that will connect the screw on intex hoses so it will make them turn the intakes into one hose, as they don't make them, so I've only got one intake and one return happening... :-( I can't shut the water off for the filter as I need three plunger valves not two, so I have to get hubby to change the filter while I hold a bowl over the return fitting...lol... Just a comedy of errors...

To make matters worse, I think I should have bought the 40mm hose instead of the 38mm as its hard to get it to fit snuggly into the new 40mm pump connections for the new pump, so I might have to buy more hose :-( Any advice anyone???????????????????

Yes we are swimming and the pool is great, but I was hoping to be done by now.... :-( I still have about a fifth of the work to go....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Talk about a substandard filter and pump.... ...lol... Just a comedy of errors...

That would sum up the intex plumbing nicely :D

To make matters worse, I think I should have bought the 40mm hose instead of the 38mm as its hard to get it to fit snuggly into the new 40mm pump connections for the new pump, so I might have to buy more hose :-( Any advice anyone???????????????????

You could try smearing some Vaseline on the inside of the flexi hose and also the pipe barb, then dip the end of the flexi hose in boiling water to soften it and quickly push on while its soft.

Is the fitting without the plunger (the one you're holding the bowl over) the 1.5 hayward fitting? If so....not sure your options for local purchase so I'll give a couple.

First off...there's a screw in plug for those. It's what I use because I got rid of my plungers when I switched to the hayward fittings and I didn't add any ball valves.

Second option...1.5 threaded pvc fittings will also screw in there.
I use a 1.5" threaded pvc elbow on my return instead of the screw in eyeball fitting from hayward. I didn't like the eyeball and I love the elbow to death! Awesome whirlpool creator!

Anyway, if you can get your hands on that locally you'd screw the elbow in (inside of pool) then aim it up and stick a piece of 1.5" pvc in it however long it needs to be to come above water level. (Like a periscope!) It wouldn't be 100% watertight but probably would work better than the bowl as a temporary solution.

Not sure what you have available there but my pvc elbow was pretty cheap and a small section of pipe shouldn't cost much.

That's my ghetto suggestion! lol

*edit* to add links...

screw in return/intake plug:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Z...&dpID=41QwnW-c++L&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Threaded pvc elbow:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00310ZH5E/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1418971634&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Thank you Barlidge, Beens and Diving Dave....:) We will try to stretch it over the barb... It wont be an easy task :-( ... I can replace the pump hose connections easily if I have to.... :) They're abundant and cheap....

Once the cartridge filter is here, I am replacing all the intex fitting with the Hayward ones I have, and adding the Hayward 90 degree elbows..... I want ball valves though, as I like the idea of shutting off the skimmer or the other two intakes when I vacuum to divert the suction power... :)

The skimmer is another thing... My pool is not as level as I'd like... To put a through the wall skimmer in, you must be completely level.... So next year, we're going to relevel because we are gluttons for punishment..... There's a couple of reasons for this.... 1. The pool is off level on one corner only, and its driving me insane.. 2. The pine sleepers I chose are warping in the weather.... Next year we will be replacing them with hardwood sleepers... A little more expensive but worth it in the long run...... I'm also going to completely bury the sleepers..... Level with the ground....

So I'm going to persevere with the over the wall skimmer for this summer... It will work amazing when the new pump is installed....

I would definitely agree ball valves on each is useful, you'l want to shut one or all off at some point or they can be used to balance the flow between the second suction and skimmer. I would be careful using the original skimmer with a stronger pump, I tried it temporarily and found the clear concertina pipe connecting the skimmer had a tendency to collapse under suction.

How much out of level is the pool? I would have thought your through wall skimmer will be tolerant within reason, the buoyant hinged door will just find a natural balance height relevant to the flow. My pool always has a corner that' a little out of level with the others.

Hi Barlidge, the place where I want to put the skimmer is the corner that is high... :-( I'll have to rethink it....

But I'm here because I have a question about filters and flow rate.... I have a 10 000 litre an hour pool pump (0.75 hp).... I want to get a 100sq ft cartridge filter...

The flow rate of the pump is 230 litres per minute.... The filter cartridge has a working flow rate of 384 litres per minute... I've sized that correctly haven't I????

My pool is only 18000 litres.... :)

OK I finally found the cartridge filter I need.... I decided on a 100 sqft one, so less work for me... :) And the best part, I got it for nearly 50% off... I AM THE BEST BARGAIN SHOPPER EVER... It was only $250 delivered :) Totally chuffed... :) Its a Zodiac Titan, and it should do well.... I wasn't paying nearly $400-500 for one... NO WAY... So now all I need is ball valves, and I can swap EVERYTHING OVER... :) FINALLY.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.