First Ever Pool - Above ground bestway 4.2m slice of heaven

Hi Kimkats [emoji1] I am very pleased with it! Purchasing ball valves tomorrow!

5887729166c6fdae43aa1a17ebb3a791.jpg

All the equipment minus the skimmer and fittings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day all... Its a beautiful day here in Australia... Its going to be a hot one, so I've got to go out and get what I need this morning, so I can spend the day working on the pool.....

I've just bought the cupboard that will contain all of my plumbing.... The filter will be next to it, hidden by the cupboard in the corner... The cupboard is for my Stenner pump, my bleach container and the pool pump... :) Its pretty and will keep everything dry....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390923881798?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

All the shelves are removable and I'm going to attach the Stenner to the wall of it, put my bleach container underneath the Stenner, and put the pump inside.... I have to cut a hole in the back of it for electrical cords, but other than that I'm happy....

Hi Laceygirl, glad to see you got your filter and getting ready to plumb it all in, you really will notice the difference once its up and running.

Hope you don't mind me saying though that something doesn't look right about the connection with the flex pipe to the union. Unless its done differently over there in sunny Oz (very jealous) I would expect to see a hosetail adapter solvent welded into the union and the the pipe fitted onto the adapter with a hose clamp (jubilee clip) around it to secure it. The union can then be unscrewed for maintenance. As it is it just appears to be a friction fit inside the union and under pressure could soon blow the hose out.

Pic of hosetail adapter.

Attachments

• 1.5-white-abs-plain-hosetail-1005-p.jpg
    1.5-white-abs-plain-hosetail-1005-p.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 196
Hey Kim, :)

My colour scheme for the pool is blue, green, grey and white.... :) I'm pretty happy that's how it worked out...

If you look at the second photo, down inside the tube, you can kind of see the seam where the hose has been compressed, that's exactly what I was looking for. Fingers crossed this will be strong enough......

I'm going to have trouble with the ball valves, so I've decided to get 35mm ball valves so I can make them fit, rather than having them too big with 40mm ones.... The hose is 38mm so its a nice compromise....

We'll see how it goes... The cupboard should be here in a week or two, we're going to be doing the plumbing tonight when Dave gets home....

Just trying to place the plumbing in my head... Might have to drag everything outside to see how it fits....

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Barlidge, thank you so much for that... I will source the part right now...

I cant quite picture what you mean but I've found the unions very useful for easy disconnection for maintenance/cleaning and and packing away. Softening the flex pipe onto fittings in warmer weather is one thing but trying to remove them again when the weather turns cold in the autumn is something else. But then I'm not sure how your autumn winter is.

Update, I've tried to pull the fittings back off the hose, and there's no way they're coming off.... I really think its going to work... I was still concerned so I got hubby to try and remove the fittings, there's just no way... In fact the factory fittings for the cartridge filter are not as tight as the seal Dave and I made, so now I'm really happy... We can do the same thing for the pool pump as they're exactly the same... Going to test it tomorrow... Dave has a rostered day off tomorrow so I'm going to get ball valves... :)

We've decided on a different tact.... We are hard plumbing the pump to the filter and running hoses to the pool... :)

This makes heaps more sense as everything will fit properly, and we'll just have the return hose and the intake hoses as flexi hose... It will make the pump fit better in the cupboard, and it will look nice and neat.... Just have to wait till the cupboard arrives now as we don't know where to put everything till it's here and we can fit it... :) I keep putting myself in pool limbo by buying new things...lol...

Once the pool is done, I can concentrate on the adults sitting area... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Due to a horrific rain storm last night... The shade for the pool has been destroyed... The frame buckled under the weight of the water, and it snapped the centre roof pole... Going to replace it with a heavy duty curtain rod... That should do the trick..... Note to self, remove before rain storms.....

I thought the cupboard for the pumps would have arrived today, but it looks like it will be early next week.... My lil filter is hanging in there, but I'm dying to set the new stuff up, its so nice and shiny and big.... :)

The plus side is I haven't had to top the pool up in over a fortnight, as we've had so much rain.... So much for the rip roaring summer we thought we were going to get, we've had more rain this year, than I can remember, and I live in the SUNBURNT COUNTRY.....

My Country - Dorothea McKellar....

"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jewel seas,
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me".......

Well we've had rain all day yesterday, and now we've got it for the next four bloody days.... I'M SO CRANKY... This summer has sucked big hairy dog testicles.... :-( For those of you who don't believe in Climate Change, I'll tell you now something has to be done.... When Australia has a wetter than wet summer and temps struggling to get above 28 degrees Celcius.... You know something is wrong...

You have had it bad over there with the rain huh Laceygirl? I thought I was getting cranky with a few days of it - today though it's supposed to be 30deg with showers. You're making me shudder with all that technical stuff re the pool pump - I seriously thought it was as easy as plug it in and let it get on with it lol. There's going to be a steep learning curve for next years pool I think.

Do you leave your pool uncovered all the time? Love the idea of shading over it too, one of the ideas I sort of came up with was using the black irrigation pipe attached somehow to the legs, so it created a shade over the top. I saw it on one of the Gardening Australia shows once, the presenter from NT used it to stop snakes and other critters getting into her veggie patch. They used star droppers and threaded the black pipe over it - I thought it could be attached to the legs using cable ties. In our shed we have old 3mtr square pop up steel shades that we bought years ago for work, the shades have completely gone but I'm thinking shade cloth would be good to use on them and they'd fit over the pool - mind you, the rate things are getting done round here recently, summer will be over before I getaroundtoit lol

Hope the weather clears up really soon and you can get back to swimming.

Hey Molly J, I try and keep the solar cover on as much as I can....I leave the solar cover on till I get up in the morning, and it goes on anywhere from about 6 -8 o'clock at night..... Depending on the wind... If its windy, it goes on sooner...

Intex pools are never plug and play....lol.... Unless you want to assemble them right out of the box... But I chose to update everything so I've brought this on myself...lol... I am not alone though... I would have had everything done this weekend, but the cupboard which will house the pumps, is still in transit, I'm expecting it Monday or Tuesday....

Hanging to get the new filter on, mine is making so much work for me.. It takes ages to vacuum and it won't pick everything up, so I'm anxious to upgrade....
Three more days of crappy weather, then hopefully some sunshine....

Hey everyone... If its not one thing its another...

The cupboard showed up with one side missing, so I'm running out of summer to get it set up the way I want it.... So I'll be setting everything else up, minus ball valves and cupboard, because I'll be lucky to have 6-8 weeks left of swim time..... The cartridge filter is so big, I won't need to clean it before the summer is over... So no stenner pump this year, and no thru the wall skimmer.... Thems the breaks....

I will take detailed photos of the plumbing... Hopefully it will be done on Thursday, as that's Dave's next day off....

The pool is chocka-block full almost right up to the grey part of the liner, and the pool is sitting beautifully... This is how they're supposed to look.... I'm also pleased with our levelling efforts... It really is only out on one corner by one tile, so pat on the back to Dave and I for that.....:)

The only problem with the pool being that full and having kids, is major splash out.... Samson is autistic and likes to continually jump or dive forward so he creates waves, so we do lose a fair bit of water with him... I don't splash any out, as I do underwater laps...

If anything its made me want an in-ground pool more than anything... My business is taking a different turn this year, so it will be interesting to see what 2015 has in store for us.. I'd love to buy my first house this year, if all things go well... A little property out of town on a decent size block... That's all I want...

More later....

Yay, all the hoses are cut to fit... Tomorrow is the day we get really wet, changing over the fittings, we're not dropping the water level, we're just going to get soaked... :) I shall post pics of the finished plumbing... I must say I'm happy with the hose configuration, I didn't even need to hard plumb it... Though I probably will next year, I just wanted to get it up and running.... Softening the last hose in boiling water as we speak..... This is the important hose, its the one that connects the pump to the filter, so we've got to get it right... I'm really impressed with how well everything has sealed.... Tomorrow will be the time to find out I suppose... :)

f1c9ca7ffe2f8ba63f32d76ff5ae16bc.jpg

78ca6901c03e43c6638c2a86a7b1c5f2.jpg

7a20922741fe822f62b859857463b1d4.jpg

537660775a5fc67cc131a90d165a5ecb.jpg

a510277f7b17c9978c4dbc3145583385.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This was just the dry fit... We are going to do the pool fittings tomorrow when its warmer.... But everything is totally sealed so I am very happy with it... Will post pics when its finally all done and running.... I have to get some hose clamps tomorrow while I am at Home Hardware, to seal the hoses properly around the T junction and the Hayward elbows... :)

35ac4747d273e6a239efc2a2ab91a6d7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pictured above is how we ended up going... The Hayward fittings were way too small to fit into the openings that I cut for the new intex fittings so we've decided to leave the plunger valves, and just use hose clamps to connect hoses..... Tonight we are siliconing everything in to each other so all the parts will be water tight....12 hours for the silicone to go off, and the pool and new filter will be up and running tomorrow.... SO HAPPY... :)

Everything is really tidy looking and it all matches... :)

Lacey That looks nice! I am glad it all went together! here is hoping NO leaks!

You might want to wrap some foam around the tube that is touching the window. You do not want it to rub or bump the glass.........NOT fun to clean up glass or have a rub mark etched into it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.