New pool - Oro Valley (Tucson) AZ

We got home from work late last night and didn't have a chance to really look at the finished dig until this morning. With this being our first pool we didn't know what to expect. Originally the plans called for a fairly large spa... but this was just too big. We spoke to the PB who was great about getting out within the hour to go over the plan with us. Originally it was planned for an 8'x8' spa, after estimating shotcrete thickness it appears as if we are now looking at a 8'x8.5' maybe 9' spa. We were concerned with the size, heating times, costs etc. So we needed to make a change. The PB was very good about accommodating the change. We decided to push the spillway 1' (7'x8.5' area for the spa) back into the spa which will give us 1' more in the lagoon section. Hopefully this will still look good. What do you think?

Original Plan -

PoolPlan.jpg

My mock up of the new plan -

PoolPlanrevised.jpg

I would imagine that you will spend much more time in the pool than in the spa, so probably a good choice. Unless you like to hold giant hot tub parties, in which case you might suffer. Good to hear the builder was accommodating. That is always comforting when they don't give you a guilt trip for changes. My builder has been the same way with MANY changes we've made, and has always been supportive. Customer first!

Welcome to TFP from a few miles north of you - Saddlebrooke Ranch. Right by you are a few of our favorite hangouts (Amarsi, Harvest Moon and Ace Hardware).

Good luck with the build. Who are you using?

The coping and tile choices are terrific. Is the water line tile real or the ceramic look alike? We have the ceramic on our patio, waterline and spillway and love it - zero maintenance.

Check with your PB about using natural stone around a pool in AZ, especially salt water. We had real slate in our bath rooms and flagstone decking around the pool (fresh water) in our old house in Tucson. After about 5 years both started deteriorating (flaking). After 10 year both looked awful and needed replacing even with annual sealing. That's why we went with the fake stuff this time. YMMV

On the recommendation of our PB, we went with an 8X8 spa. It's great for summer parties as it seats about 10. But this time of year it takes 1 1/4 hrs to heat!:( However, to overcome the time factor, I installed an Autelis Remote Control system.:p If we're out to dinner I can turn on the spa and it will be ready when we get home. But, that doesn't solve the heating cost!:(

Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Hi vcbmoore,

We seem to like the same handouts lol! I am in ACE more than I would like to be......

We are using Cimarron Circle to do the build, so far they have been great to deal with. I appreciate your comments about the spa size, we knew that a big spa would be useful a few times a year but for regular use we needed it a little smaller. I think we made the right choice.

We talked to our pool builder about the travertine and SWG and he told us there should not be an issue. As far as I know travertine doesn't flake like a slate or flagstone does. I laid the slate tile in my home and patio so I can see how the flaking may be an issue. When I built the fountain I learned how flagstone flakes in layers as well. I am going to chance that a sealed slate patio will last....but if not I can re tile it in the future. The waterline tile is not a real slate, it is a ceramic with a gloss to it, so it will be easier to clean.

I guess we will see how it goes. I love the look of Travertine around a pool, so I am willing to chance it!

Turbo,

I think your tile choices are great. Good luck with them!

Just to reinforce your decision on the spa size, during dinner last night the wife asked about going in the spa. I told her it would take too long to heat and it was too cold to walk the 15 feet from the MBR! Now I know I'm getting old!:hammer: How did I know it was too cold? Check out the weather website in my signature - one of my many money pits!

As I said in my earlier post, keep the updates and pictures coming.

Shotcrete is complete.... our backyard is starting to look fairly junky..... hopefully it will all come together! Next step it to try and figure out the decking. We wanted to wait until we could get an actual idea of the pool size before laying it all out. Any suggestions are welcome!

13211BFA-DDF1-4816-868F-60C8BF568389.jpg

85BE6F78-7DA5-4D99-8C77-0AE5084311BA.jpg

888421D7-EEE5-44DD-BF2D-74D828B014C3.jpg

7EEB64D4-4469-4827-BE0A-04A5262C3916.jpg

8B0BACEE-20F3-4FFE-8982-5C3704C0FB5C.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi TurboTC,
I love the pool design. What a great way to use space.

What is the name of that tile you are using? I was looking at samples at Cimarron yesterday, and it made my head hurt -- too many options.

Thanks Guys! We can't wait to see the finished product. I will continue to post pictures of the progress.

The Travertine should arrive Thursday and the decking should start next week.

Theep - The tile is from Noble Tile it is a Mariana Green NWPI 650. You are welcome to come and take a look if it would help you to see it in person, we know how hard it was for us to decide. Just let me know if you would like to arrange a time - we are up in Oro Valley.

What a nice design and way to maximizing space. Looks like they did a good job with the shotcrete too...nice level looking edges.
Nice to see you were able to incorporate the fountain into the build. It looks great next to the spa and will be a soothing place to relax after a hard days work.

Glad to see more geometric builds on the forum.

Looking good!!!

I hope you can keep people from trying to walk across that spillover ... that could get very slippery.

Also a word of caution, you may start to have problems with birds if they ever figure out they can stand on the spillway to drink water. I had a very small exposed spillway at previous house that was only a little over 1', once the birds figured it out ... there was always bird dropping all over my deck.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the heads up for the birds! I will have to see what I can do to keep them away. It is just me and my wife....so the walking across the spillway has already been outlawed by the wife lol. It does look like it might be a good diving spot though... :eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.