Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pool leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

pool leaking

new pool owner in florida.

i have a 14x28 gunite/concrete pool, not sure of the material. it seems everyday we are losing about an inch or more of water, fill the pool to about 1/2 way above skimmer entrance and its gone the next day.

i was told i have a suction side leak, not sure if that would cause the water to leak, and also an unground floor cleaner which is disconnected and the some of the covers for whatever the jet things have come off.

the o-rings were replaced on the pump, and the motor is new. tile is missing grout as well. and 2 of the return jets (i think thats what they are called that blow the water into the pool) are not flush with the wall, seems like they were put on new and left a 1/2 in gap between the round thing and the wall.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool leaking

Welcome to TFP.

Let's start with the leak.
    Have you let it leak down until it stopped leaking? If so where did it stop?
    Have you tried to run the bucket test to insure that it is a leak?
    Does it leak more or less when the pump is running?
    What type filter do you have? If it's a sand or DE, does it have a multiport valve? Regardless, have you checked to see if water is coming out the waste port?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

yes. stopped right at the lower wall tile line.

bucket test was not conclusive, i more than likely screwed it up. but the pool water was down after 24 and 48 hours about 1-1/2 inches

about the same running or not running

hayward filter, round long filter cartridge. water is leaking from the auto chlorinator as well, about 1 large kitchen bowl per 10 minutes just noticed that.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the bottom of the skimmer or some other penetration at that level?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

the opening for the skimmer is about that level, actually makes a loud gurgling noise when the water went down and a crazy whirlpool type of motion with water.

6. Back To Top    #6

That makes sense. I'd say that your leak is in the skimmer or skimmer plumbing. Plug the hole in the skimmer off and see if it still leaks. If it does, then the leak is in the skimmer box or mouth. If it doesn't, the leak is in the plumbing.

Is your skimmer and main drain tied together under the skimmer? If it is you need to plug both holes in the skimmer bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

i have no idea. there are 2 holes in the skimmer not sure what either are. is there a fix for skimmer plumbing or do i need someone to tear up the concrete deck

8. Back To Top    #8

Very rarely is the leak underground. It's usually a sealing issue in the throat of the skimmer. However, if it is then tearing up decking is about the only way to get to it. But don't get the cart before the horse. Find the leak first an then make a decision about what to do about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

what would be the best way to find the leak in the skimmer, i know nothing about pools. sorry if i sound like an idiot.

10. Back To Top    #10

the pool just turned on, zero pressure showing on filter valve but there is good flow in the pool and the auto chlorinator is leaking like a fountain?

what the heck is going on with this

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Bad gauge is usually the issue. You have the multi-port in the filter position, right?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

not to sound dumb, what position is that i have handy valves

13. Back To Top    #13

Since you have a cartridge filter you don't have a backwash valve.

I suspect that you have a bad gage as the other Dave does. They're cheap and easy to replace.

By Auto-chlorinator, I assume it's a tablet feeder. If so, and it's leaking out the top, it's probably loose or possibly a bad gasket/o-ring.

Once you're narrowed the location down, we can tell you the best way to go about finding it. If it's in the skimmer throat you can take some dark food coloring and squirt a little at any suspect joint or seam and if it's leaking it'll pull the coloring into the seam or joint.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

My apologies for adding confusion to the issue suggesting you had a multi-port. I was careless and didn't see you had a cart filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

@duraleigh no worries on the confusion, can't possibly get more confused than i already am

yes it is a tablet filter, leaked out about 2 16oz kitchen bowls in 30 mins, having a new one installed hopefully thats the issue the ground is not wet, nothing on the deck, only the leak on the chlorinator

16. Back To Top    #16

system stopped running, down about an inch of water and chlorinator thing leaked numerous pots full of water?

17. Back To Top    #17

If you can bypass the chlorinator I would try that and see if you still lose water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Personally I wouldn't replace the tab feeder. I'd just cut it out of the plumbing all together. Once you've found and fixed the leak you can read here a bit and start using liquid chlorine for sanitation.

Do you have a couple of winter plugs you can stick in the holes in the bottom of the skimmer? Have you done that yet?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

i got the plugs today and will put in tomorrow. pool is down about another 1/2 inch of water from yesterday-- ugh

20. Back To Top    #20

Post back once you get them installed and let us know what you find.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast