Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cyclone vac blower in NJ

1. Back To Top    #1

cyclone vac blower in NJ

Des anyone know where I can buy Cyclone 3HP Vac Blower in central NJ? I called a few local stores but no one seems to carry it. I want to close my pool this weekend and my 6.5hp Shop-Vac is not blowing out main drain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cyclone vac blower in NJ

If I was you, I would invest in a small compressor instead of a tool you can only use for blowing out you pool with.
    So many different things you can use a compressor for and only 1 thing you can use a pool blower for.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree and thought about it. But I am running out of time as we are fast approaching Oct. and don't have time to try things out. Do you know what type of compressor will work for sure?

4. Back To Top    #4

Many folks have reported that the small (and cheaper) pancake type compressors don't have enough volume for main drain. A HUGE one with a big tank will work, but WAY more than a cyclone.

Only place I found to buy them (cyclone) was on line.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a little pancake compressor and it does fine. You don't need a big compressor with a big storage tank because your goal is not to build up presure and blast the lines with a burst of air.

Volume is what you need and a small compressor that pumps air and forces out the water with air is your goal.

My deep end is 7 ft. so I figure my main drain line pipe is about 8 or 9 ft and my little pancake compressor that I bought at HD works fine.

Just turn it on , let it run , and within 2 min. My main drain starts to bubble with air.

Once that main drain bubbles, close off the valve on the main drain/ skimmer and create an air lock.

Sure there is still some water in the main drain pipe but you have just blow out a majority of the water and the little bit that is left in there is below the frost line anyway and will never freeze.

The people that report that a pancake compressor doesn't work, I bet they are the people that let the compressors tank fill up with air and then blast a burst of air through the line.

Let the little unit run and it will push air which pushes water out.

Look on utube, there are videos of a guy doing it this way . Works great.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

6. Back To Top    #6

You can rent them from Pelican Pools in Whitehouse, East Brunswick and elsewhere. I think Sahara Pools in Lebanon rents them, too. I don't think they sell them at either store. If I were buying one, I'd get it on-line.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks samt.

I used 6.5 hp craftsman shop-vac and porter-cable 150psi 6 gallon air compressor to blow out lines. Shop-vac gave a nice blow after air compressor pushed out most of the water. Air compressor couldn't continuously blow my return as it couldn't keep up the pressure above 20-25 psi. I think smaller motor (0.8 hp) is to blame for this.

8. Back To Top    #8

A pancake will do fine on a main drain, although it will take its time. A smaller or even a good size Shop-Vac can't do main drains as well because it can't build enough pressure. I would be more worried about the pancake on the horizontal runs--returns and skimmers--especially long ones. You need a good blast of air to air to kick water out of low spots and out the far end of the line. The little tank on the pancakes doesn't compare to a 30 or 50 gal. tank for this. The speed of air flow at the end of the line is directly related to the volume of air available in a short time period. Combining the big Shop-Vac and the pancake is a good approach, in my opinion, if that is what is available.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.