Gold Supporter
Aug 19, 2022
Southeast PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know, I know: it’s a long time before it'll be time to close. Heck, I haven’t even opened yet! But I figured that “opening day” would be the perfect time to test out my rig for closing (since the filter is empty, etc). And since I’ve developed “pool fever” while waiting for the weather to warm up, I spent a bit of time setting up my Cyclone for the fall!

First, a HUGE THANKS to @Catanzaro whose plan I followed pretty closely (Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool). My lid came out very similar to what has been posted by @PoolStored and others. I was tempted to try out the DIY plywood adapter that was developed by @cincypilot — but I ultimately went the traditional route since I was slightly concerned that if the wood plate wasn’t seated perfectly flush with the cover ring when I turned on my blower, that the deltaP would smash the plywood upwards and potentially do some expensive damage to the pump (that’s probably a useless worry, so this isn't intended to steer anyone away form trying out that very clever setup).

For anyone else following in the footsteps of @Catanzaro , you might find that some of his links to the parts no longer work. So if it happens to help anyone, below are the Amazon IDs for the parts that I used (rather than posting links, just search on Amazon for these unique ASIN numbers):

Sampo’s Parts List (total spent: $456 with Cyclone):
  • Cyclone Blower ($356): ASIN B004BNR5DC
  • Jandy R0448800 Lid ($51): ASIN B008E6JJ7C
  • Hayward SP1023 1.5” FIP inlet return fitting with locknut ($12): ASIN B003ZTM0O2
  • Universal Combo Hose Adapter 1.25/1.5" ($8 for 3): ASIN B0BSVCLNLC
  • QuQuyi 1.5” Heavy-Duty PVC Flex Tubing ($29 for 6ft): ASIN B09L5W999V

Some lessons-learned:
  1. I first purchased a slightly cheaper (but non-OEM) lid for my Jandy pump (ASIN B0C1RZV174). But after test-fitting it, its connection didn't feel quite the same as the original part. It would have worked for the Cyclone -- but since I’d seen the clever/obvious suggestion on TFP to sacrifice the old lid and switch in the new, I wanted a perfect fit. I think the OEM part form Jandy was worth the few extra bucks.
  2. Drilling the hole through my old Jandy lid was a bit stressful -- since a mistake would have instantly cost $51. But I clamped the piece tightly to my drill press, went slow, and had no problems at all. I even sanded out the edges of the hole for a finished look.
  3. I first tried a short pool hose (ASIN B07PKD75JP) for this setup. But one end on that didn't mate with the supply hose adapters that I had bought. So I splurged on some heavy duty PVC tubing with a reinforcing steel coil and a listed 1.5” inner diameter: it was absolutely perfect.
  4. Some of this is probably a bit overengineered for the need (e.g., the reinforced flex tubing). But I'm very happy with this super-solid setup that should hold up for decades. In any case, this rig will save tons of money compared to hiring someone for closing!

Below is a picture of my final product. Thanks again to the TFP community for this great DIY plan!

“CYA later”

Sampo

Sampo's Cyclone.png

That looks like a fantastic video — wish I’d seen it before starting (the mods should link to it from the Closing wiki!). My only suggestion is to clamp the lid to the drill press: it felt much easier/safer to drill when I didn’t have to fight against the sudden bite of the bit.

Reactions: Newdude