newby with cloudy water

Aug 28, 2013
Newport, NC
Hi all,
when I say cloudy, its really a pretty blue! but I want sparkly clear like it used to be. ok, history.
This is a early summer setup. Looked great till Chlorine got low, got algae. it never was real bad, as soon as I saw green coloration I added algae killer (don't remember what kind, pool store). algae went away but never became clear.
Now I finally listened to your forum and got a TF100 as of yesterday.
this morning results:
FC = 0
PH = 7.5
TA = 190
CH = 150
CYA = 0
Didn't text CC, since FC and CYA were 0 I didn't see the need.

Pool Calculator (I THINK) suggests:
62oz bleach
5 lbs CYA
29 oz of 31.45% 20(degrees?) Baume (Whatever the heck THAT is!!) hahaha
and 163 oz Calcium Chloride

does all this sound about right? if anyone has better suggestions i'm all ears. if this sounds good, what are the last two and where do I get them?

Thanks in advance to everybody!
Steve

If you are going to get your water clear, you will need to SLAM the pool. You are using the poolcalculator to bring it up to normal maintenance levels.....that won't get it.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Than, read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section .

Start the SLAM process.

You do not need the two products that you don't understand. Disregard them for now but you need to learn in Pool School what they are and what they do in case you ever do need them.

duraleigh said:
If you are going to get your water clear, you will need to SLAM the pool. You are using the poolcalculator to bring it up to normal maintenance levels.....that won't get it.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Than, read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section .

Start the SLAM process.

You do not need the two products that you don't understand. Disregard them for now but you need to learn in Pool School what they are and what they do in case you ever do need them.
In slamming, it doesn't say anything about adding stabilizer. with my cya levels at 0, do I need to add that also while I am SLAMMING? Or is adding that much chlorine over the course of a couple of days going to bring that up automatically?
Thanks,

I would add enough stabilizer to get you to 30 ppm of CYA. The stabilizer will protect your chlorine from the sun.

Adding liquid chlorine will not add any stabilizer. You have to add stabilizer on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.