msally

Jan 29, 2022
Southern CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We kept having green and yellow algae, so we completely drained the pool 4 months ago; cleaned the filter, washed the walls, scrubbed the tiles and jets, etc. With the new fill water, I hope I got the chemicals right but yellow algae still appears every 3-4 days afterward. At least, the water is crystal clear and it sweeps off easily unlike before when it took some time scrubbing. I increased the pump rpm but it made no difference.

Here's what I got today:

FL 6
CCL 0
pH 7.8
TA 62
CH 340
CYA 45

We have hard water with TA of 190 which took about 4 months to lower it to the 60's. And this is the CH of our fill water. I just wanted to double-check if these levels give me the green light for adding boric acid today? (Hoping this will also help with the algae.)

Thanks for your time and help!

How are you testing your pool water chemistry? It is not possible to measure a TA of 62 using the test kits TFPC recommends.

Reactions: Bperry
TF-Pro and Spin Touch - So far they're both very close, if not the same from our experience (unless I'm doing the TF-Pro incorrectly). My dad won't use the TF-Pro so we have both.

OK- just realize that the photometer testing methods are not accurate. Especially for TA and CH.

Very rare for a S California pool to have mustard algae.

First, you need to follow the SLAM Process to completion, followed by Mustard Algae

After you are sure the algae is gone, then you can add borates if you like. At the levels considered safe in a pool, the algaestatic properties are not significant.

We've had yellow algae for a couple years now so I guess we're the exception here.:( I'll try the Slam and see if it appears during a week... but are these levels correct to add the boric add - if they are accurate?

You can add boric acid whenever you like.

Be sure to READ the articles I linked. The Mustard Algae article states maintaining an elevated level of FC based on your CYA level for weeks after the SLAM completion. And your photometer tester will not work during that time.

We've had yellow algae for a couple years now so I guess we're the exception here.:( I'll try the Slam and see if it appears during a week... but are these levels correct to add the boric add - if they are accurate?
The boric acid isn’t going to help.

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I read the links and probably will again later. Now I'm off to SLAM and clean the pool before work.😓

Thank you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.