Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pizza ovens

1. Back To Top    #1

pizza ovens

still in planning stages ,but some cool builds http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/#pizza- ... stallation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pizza ovens

Did you mean to link a particular build you are reading about?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Man, I would love one of those. I need a bigger yard.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Man, I would love one of those. I need a bigger yard.
    I need unlimited funds!!
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

Our PB suggested we skip the pizza oven. He said that in his experience you would use it a couple of times in the beginning and then that would be it. We finally agreed.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been trolling that site too; I plan on making a small pizza oven when I can find the time and materials. I plan on constructing a form and using refractory concrete instead of nearly impossible to find, and very expensive, fire bricks.

I have a friend who has a pizza oven, and they use theirs at least several times a month if not more. It just depends on your personal cooking habits, I suppose.
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pool mum
    I've been trolling that site too; I plan on making a small pizza oven when I can find the time and materials. I plan on constructing a form and using refractory concrete instead of nearly impossible to find, and very expensive, fire bricks.

I have a friend who has a pizza oven, and they use theirs at least several times a month if not more. It just depends on your personal cooking habits, I suppose.
    I can't make my mind up how often we'd use it. We eat homemade pizza probably 4-6 times a month. I love wood fired pizza but not sure if I'd have the patience to start a fire an hour before (or whatever is required). That being said, it takes me an hour to make and prove the dough so maybe that's no excuse.
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

8. Back To Top    #8

look at what they cook in them recipes , fire it up friday , still cooking on monday night from fridays heat

9. Back To Top    #9

I purchased one for about $1,300, just started my build, its sitting in the garage. Figure it will cost me $75 a pizza (Assuming I use it 15 - 20 times per year), but life is short!

10. Back To Top    #10

One of these has been on my bucket list for awhile. For those who make their own pizza, I've been lucky enough to be handed down an old family recipe for the dough. It's pretty simple, tastes great and puffs up around the edges like any pizza that you get from a good pizza joint.

The secret is "cake flour". For every two cups of all-purpose flour add one cup of "cake flour". My usual batch is 4 cups of all-purpose, 2 cups of cake, two packages of yeast and about 2 cups of water. For a good Sicilian pie, I make a "sponge" first. After proofing the yeast, add just enough flour to all your water to make a batter. Let that double, punch down and add the rest of your flour to make the dough. Let rise again, punch down and put in pan. I don't like it too thick so I let the dough rise in the pan for another half hour or so (not quite doubling the volume).

Having a Sicilian mother has its advantages and its disadvantages. I always went to bed with a belly full of great food but sometimes had to sleep with one eye open after a major screw-up.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll have to try that. No sugar or salt?

I adapted one over time. It yields two pizzas so I normally make one up and the other I wrap in plastic wrap and it keeps 3 days in the fridge, no problem.

3.5 cups Bread Fluor
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp sea salt
    1 envelope yeast
    1-1.5 cups warm water
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I normally add probably 1/2 cup or more as that's what I like. I think the original recipe is like 2 tbsps.

400 deg - takes about 12 mins.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cbink
    I'll have to try that. No sugar or salt?
    I proof the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar. I sift about a teaspoon of salt with the flour. I don't add olive oil to the dough but I do brush it on the pizza right before I start adding the sauce, cheese etc.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I sometimes substitute honey for sugar - different flavor but equally nice.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cbink
    Quote Originally Posted by pool mum

I can't make my mind up how often we'd use it. We eat homemade pizza probably 4-6 times a month. I love wood fired pizza but not sure if I'd have the patience to start a fire an hour before (or whatever is required). That being said, it takes me an hour to make and prove the dough so maybe that's no excuse.
    It does take a while to get the fire going and then let it die down to coals - at least an hour if not more. We currently have a weber grill and I sometimes burn chunks of oak in it to cook on, and it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r for those wood chunks to burn down. I'd use mine more for smoking or slow roasting meats. We're not huge pizza eaters; maybe a twice a month, and that's mostly because we have teens.
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

15. Back To Top    #15

I used my Vision Kamado grill to bake a pizza this week (gluten free no less). It was simple and it made the best crust I have had in a while. I had the fire in the 500 range before cooking and brought it down to the 450 per the instructions. I pre-heated the pizza stone on the top grill. I made some jalapeno popper at the same time.

After having this grill for a few months, I don't think I could justify having a dedicated pizza oven when I can easily and quickly get a Kamado up to temp for pizza and cook them one at a time in 10 minutes or less each.

I got my kamado for $399 this summer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100