FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!!!!!

Ha. I never understood why people thought Romo was so good. Seems to me like he always ######## the bed during the big games. Now he has a $110 mil deal over 6 years. Jerry's old age must be getting to him.

The interesting thing about Romo is that he posts numbers that consistently put him in the top five quarterbacks in the league, but he just isn't a leader. He doesn't command the field like Brady or P. Manning. While we're on the subject of Tha Boys, I don't see much of a change in our team's chances until Jerry is dead and gone. He's a heck of an owner, but as a GM, he is horrible! As long as he insists on hiring all of the coordinators on his own, we will never get a coach in there that can take us all the way. Coaches want to bring their own staff in there. All bosses do. The CEO of most any company will take his assistant with him wherever he goes. If he goes to another job, his secretary goes with him. Coaches are no different. This is why the coaching and coordinating for Dallas is so out of whack. Nobody really knows who's in charge of what. I honestly feel that Jerry's son knows what to do and he wants to do it. That is, of course, to write checks and get out of the way. But until his daddy passes on, he won't get that chance and Dallas will remain an also-ran.

kyle11 said:
[BEER MUG][BEER MUG] Lets hear it, who is excited? RTR
Me, for sure!

Although it is still mid-summer and we are going through a stretch of 100+°F days, there was that special feeling in the air this past weekend as I was watching college football previews covering various teams in this region while tending to the brisket I was smoking.

257WbyMag, your synopsis of the Cowboys is spot-on IMHO. Jerry is a great businessman. However, they will never get another first-tier coach unless he stops meddling and decides to sit back and lets the football guys run the show and that appears doubtful after nearly a quarter century at the helm.

You Texans are overlooking the best team you have out there....Texas A&M.

Despite the media agenda to "get something" on him, Manziel and the boys will knock off Alabama (again) on Sep 23 and, if they don't slip up against LSU or Arkansas, will play for the National Championship.

My son is a senior there this year and, I must say, I have never attended a football game with a better atmosphere than the Aggies provide at Kyle Field. Gig 'em!

duraleigh said:
Duraleigh, your son made a good choice! We have plans to attend an A&M game at Kyle Field this year. DW is an alum. Agree they are a top contender for a National Championship.

duraleigh said:
Despite the media agenda to "get something" on him, Manziel...
Unfortunately, it seems like the media playbook these days is to target anyone who is successful.

Duraleigh----------ummmmmmmm............"Johnny Football" has let far too much of his too-soon found fame to go to his head. Humble him down a bit and I'll be a believer.

257---------Only 6 more years till we can get a guy with the only stats that matter to Cowboy fans!

duraleigh said:
You Texans are overlooking the best team you have out there....Texas A&M.

Despite the media agenda to "get something" on him, Manziel and the boys will knock off Alabama (again) on Sep 23 and, if they don't slip up against LSU or Arkansas, will play for the National Championship.

My son is a senior there this year and, I must say, I have never attended a football game with a better atmosphere than the Aggies provide at Kyle Field. Gig 'em!

Think about the SEC Championship game in 08. Tebow single handedly beat Alabama. Fast forward to the 09 SEC Championship. Tebow was crying by halftime. Point being? A single player does not beat Saban twice. Manziel is a great player, probably the best in college football again this year but Saban is a master at defending guys like him. Especially when he has plenty of film. Last year Manziel kind of came out of nowhere for non Aggie fans. Good game? Yes. Bama loses? Not a chance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kyle11,

...and all this time, I assumed you were named after Kyle Field. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Truthfully, I think the Aggies may not have the horsepower on the offensive line to protect him, but if they do.....

duraleigh said:
kyle11,

...and all this time, I assumed you were named after Kyle Field. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Truthfully, I think the Aggies may not have the horsepower on the offensive line to protect him, but if they do.....

Ha. I really don't think he even needs a offensive line for most games. He is at his best when on the run IMO. It will be a great game regardless. I am just glad A&M FINALLY made it into the SEC where they belong. They plan real man football unlike their little sister Longhorns.

I have never been to Kyle Field but plan on making it out there one year now that A&M is part of the family. I have been to every SEC stadium but College Station & Columbia Missouri so I have to add it to the list.

And here was me thinking that we were talking about REAL football...! :hammer: The EPL starts this weekend - woohoo! :party: :whoot: :cheers:
I'm looking forward to both seasons to be honest. I've married into an Aggie and Texan's family and am getting brought up to speed (I'm a Brit)!
Just need to hurry up and get a TV by the pool...

(and just in case - I'm only joking about real football)

duraleigh said:
kyle11,

The OL will be as good or better than last year's which was pretty salty. The offense will probably have a little better balance between run and pass. Defense and specifically the front 7 are the big question mark that will determine how far the team goes this year but I am hearing some really good things from fall camp so far.

techguy said:
Johnny Football may be Johnny Sideline…
If I were the head coach, Johnny Football would be on the sideline for the next game as a result of the immature second-half "extra-curricular antics" he displayed during the 2013 season opener. And this from someone who would like to see the Aggies win a National Championship. And yet, I was embarrassed by Johnny’s on the field behavior this past weekend. Therefore, an example must be set that no one is above the rest of the team – not even Johnny Football. I realize this is a tough decision for a head coach. Arguments can be raised that doing this could cost the team a W which, in this case, could jeopardize their hopes of a National Championship. But I am of the opinion that the risk of not taking strong corrective action now and sending a message to the team is even greater. It may even motivate them to up their game a notch or two and play better as a team which would actually increase their chances of a National Championship.

I would have a private conversation with my quarterback and give him a reality check. I would let him know that he basically has a target on his back – fair or not – it’s the way it is and it comes with his newfound fame. He has a choice…he can either let it get to him (and his play will likely suffer) or he can channel his efforts and do the talking on the field in the form of helping his team put points on the board while being a steward for the university and the game. How he handles the increased spotlight and associated pressure will likely impact both the remainder of his college career as well as his NFL prospects (the "character" issue). I would also tell him that fame is fleeting. Every football player is one play away from never playing the game again. For some, that play may be on the next snap. For others, it may be over a decade away. Many a player has entered a game not knowing that it would be their last and many of them did not have a "Plan B" to deal with it. I would ask him, "Do you want to bet the rest of your life on when this last play arrives for you?" I would close the conversation by saying, "You will have plenty of time to think about these things while you are on the sideline during the next game."

The head coach runs the team...Period. It has to be this way if the team is to be successful.

I'm hoping that Johnny Manziel is a much more mature person when I head down to College Station later this season to see an A&M game (and go to "The Dixie Chicken" :party: ).

I was not able to watch the game but the press has not been good so far. Maturity seems to be lacking and the fact that the NCAA could not make a real decision about punishment and went with a half punishment ( half joke) empowers the little boy to do whatever he wants.

Going to watch the 9ers beat green bay this Sunday then to the house of prime rib for dinner. I will loose my season tickets this year as they are moving to the new stadium next year and the ticket prices there are ridiculous, plus it's another 45 min farther south..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.