Here we go!! DIY IG started SE Ohio

Soak the kids shorts in chlorine and let them play in the water.

Seriously though, your sump pump idea is a good one. Surprising how quickly water will turn nasty without any treatment.

I'm going with salt but may be in the same boat for a bit. Adding chlorine initially won't create any issues once the generator is set up, will it?

Now the fun begins! Trying to get this plumbed and backfilled as quickly as possible so I can get the pump running. However, with the rains we had over the weekend, my plumbing trench is a water hole! Not too bad for a one man crew though, I've been staying up late. And, to add to the chaos, I've got 2 of my kids birthdays and my wife's this week! Fun fun! More pics! The hole under the sidewalk is 3 feet down and only big enough for the pipes to go through. (It looks like it is a huge hole in the pic) [attachment=2:ubxcy18z]Pool build 10.jpeg[/attachment:ubxcy18z][attachment=1:ubxcy18z]Pool build 11.jpeg[/attachment:ubxcy18z][attachment=0:ubxcy18z]Pool build 12.jpeg[/attachment:ubxcy18z]

Attachments

• Pool build 10.jpeg
    Pool build 10.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 292
  • Pool build 11.jpeg
    Pool build 11.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Pool build 12.jpeg
    Pool build 12.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 290
Rain has really set back progress, but I finally got the pad poured and plumbing manifold done. Electrical is ran through conduit to the pad. Going to try to get everything hooked up and hopefully the pool fully backfilled this weekend.[attachment=1:2updc1x3]Pool build 14.jpeg[/attachment:2updc1x3][attachment=0:2updc1x3]Pool build 15.jpeg[/attachment:2updc1x3]

Attachments

• Pool build 14.jpeg
    Pool build 14.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Pool build 15.jpeg
    Pool build 15.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 258
Lookin' good! I did my plumbing at the equipment late one night and made sure I had purple primer showing everywhere. I figured if everything looked perfect no one would believe I did it myself. I see you went for a valve for each return. I used 3-ways on mine with the returns plumbed in pairs with a tee at the midpoint between each one. I have 6 returns off 2 valves, and the skimmers and bottom drains fed through a 3-way as well. Your setup is definitely cleaner looking. Good luck with the backfill. I'm trying to get mine done as well.

I hear ya! Actually, I have 4 returns paired. The other lines are for the step jets, deck jets, and waterfall. I only have 1 skimmer with a cleaner port feeding off the port under the skimmer. I am about 3/4 the way done with backfill using pea gravel. Have to finish the bonding and light wiring.

My site material is primarily sand so I will be backfilling with it in lifts and compacting it as I go. I will be installing pavers so if it starts to settle I can always fix it but as long as I don't get lazy and use 2 ft. lifts I should be good.

R_Willis said:
Looking good so far!

The sidewalk looks to be "floating" in the air in the one picture. Hehehe

I'm in Southern Ohio also.
Thank you! A couple more pics. Have the backfill done and all the bonding complete. Going to start the decking forms in a couple of days. Hope to have the concrete done in the next week or so. Then I am going to reshape all the back yard. Funny, the trees in the picture look like they are next to the pool, but they are over 125 feet away. All my wind blows towards those trees and I have no trees on the other side of my land. Never get any leaves, etc on the patio. Guess that's a good thing!
[attachment=1:1s7vercs]pool build 16.jpeg[/attachment:1s7vercs][attachment=0:1s7vercs]pool build 17.jpeg[/attachment:1s7vercs]

Attachments

• pool build 16.jpeg
    pool build 16.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 194
  • pool build 17.jpeg
    pool build 17.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 195

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have done an amazing job thus far! I've been quietly watching, not posting much while I've been caring for hubs after his motorcycle accident. I come here for relief and look at all the pics cuz I'm too tired to offer much at this time. Thanks for posting!

Night pic after I wired the light. It really lights up the entire pool with 1 500w. The steps look they're glowing from the other end. Very happy with it. Figure I'll get the colored lenses to change it up as I was too cheap to get the ColorLogics![attachment=0:3smlhrry]pool build 19.jpeg[/attachment:3smlhrry]

Attachments

• pool build 19.jpeg
    pool build 19.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 194
Lookin' good! I'm still backfilling mine, but I have the diving board installed and the kids have been swimming in it for weeks. I'm picking up the coping tonight and should have the pavers down by the weekend.

From the looks if your pictures, I'll bet your having fun vacuuming up sand too!

What did you use for the jets shooting into the pool? Like the way the look just didn't want to pay what my PB wanted to charge for them. I have 3 flower beds around the pool apron and am thinking of making my own jets/stream to shoot into the pool.

diyindux said:
Lookin' good! I'm still backfilling mine, but I have the diving board installed and the kids have been swimming in it for weeks. I'm picking up the coping tonight and should have the pavers down by the weekend.

From the looks if your pictures, I'll bet your having fun vacuuming up sand too!
Thanks! That's all pea gravel still, so not too much has gotten into the pool. I've been vacuuming about every 2 days.

amytude said:
We are doing concrete before the liner. Didn't know if this was common or not. I don't think we will get a single swim day in this season. So disappointing for us.
Actually, It is probably smarter to do it the way you guys are so don't be disappointed. You won't have to worry about anything going into your pool with a nice clean deck around it when you are getting ready to fill! I am pouring my concrete all the way over into the pool using Stegmeier forms. I am worried sick about stuff getting into the pool, but I will take all necessary precautions and hope for the best.

blakestretch said:
What did you use for the jets shooting into the pool? Like the way the look just didn't want to pay what my PB wanted to charge for them. I have 3 flower beds around the pool apron and am thinking of making my own jets/stream to shoot into the pool.
Those are Jandy deck jets. I pre-plumbed everything for them. I know there are cheaper knockoffs out there, but mine will be imbedded in the concrete deck so the kids can stand on them, etc. I created a loop so if they stand on one, the others will go higher, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.