No timer on pump

That's probably overkill. You should get a timer. Intermatic are very good timers You can cut run time way down and save a ton of electricity.

Pool school has an article on determining pump run time. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Yes, good call, Bama, hahaha.

My real question is the actual cost to run the pump, so I can figure cost savings to install a timer (they are pretty cheap, but then there is the electrician....)

I bet there is an electricity version of chemgeek ("voltgeek"?) on this site who would be able to calculate the cost to run my pump, on an hourly basis. Id be most grateful!

Here is my info:

Energy cost: $0.092425 per kWh
Equipment: Hayward pump model SP2610x5
Motor is UST1102, 1HP, that lists volts 115/230

There are a bunch of other numbers on there that I dont know what they mean I can give you if needed. THANKS!!!!
V

So 7.5 amps times 220v equals 1,650 watts. Divide by 1000 to get 1.65kw multiply by 24 for a 24h run time to get 65.34 kwh.

65.34 kwh times .09 as an energy cost puts it at about $5.88 a day to run the pump at max load.

These calculations are based on a 7.5 amp load which is the max load for that pump. Reality is probably something south of 7.5 amps. If you can get a VOM and get your actual amp draw we can get a better figure.

As a reference point my 16k in ground costs under a dollar a day to run with a 2 speed pump and a shorter run time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Great info, thanks! I dont know the actual amp draw, as I dont have one of those thingys that measures (ampmeter or some such?) Anyway, having the max number is what I need to sort out potential savings, (and also let my green freak flag fly) thanks so much.

You guys truly are the best!

Hubbie wants to know whether best to install inside an outbuilding at the breaker or next to pump? Also, wants to know what are the better quality timers bc. he hates replacing stuff.

(he's really impressed with "my" knowledge in this area, should I reveal that TFP is my source, or let him just go on thinking I've become a chemist and electrician without his knowledge after 13 years of marriage?) :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Intermatic makes the most serviceable / reliable / cost effective timer. The enclosure is rated for outdoor so ... Personal preference on that one.

I think this is the ticket ... http://m.poolsupplyworld.com/Intermatic ... 10004R.htm

On an iPhone and can't confirm.

You might actually save more by doing a motor replacement with a 2 speed because of the non linear nature of motor power consumption. Ideally timer and 2 speed ... But that depends n budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

....except I live in a shady old farmhouse that doesn't need AC. Ahhh, those cool breezes on the back porch....;)
Back to topic. Monthly, that's a $176 total cost to run at 24/7, and if I run it half the time I can save $88/month. With the price of the recommended timer at $175 and $100 for the electrician, I can probably justify it in 3 months of elect. savings.

vanessadickson said:
....except I live in a shady old farmhouse that doesn't need AC. Ahhh, those cool breezes on the back porch....;)
Back to topic. Monthly, that's a $176 total cost to run at 24/7, and if I run it half the time I can save $88/month. With the price of the recommended timer at $175 and $100 for the electrician, I can probably justify it in 3 months of elect. savings.

Take a look at the 2 speed option as well. You could end up at under $30 a month. (mine at 10 cents calcs out to about $28)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.