Avon, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
(note: please ignore the pool in my signature - I have recently moved and haven't updated it yet)

This may be a question for an electrician, but I thought I would start here. The pool at my new house does not have a timer, so the pump runs 24x7. I'm looking to install a timer and am looking at the Intermatic timers on INYOPools.com. The problem is that I don't know if my pump is currently wired for 110V or 220V. It's a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump 700, which comes pre-wired for 220V but can be converted to 110V. The label on the pump says "VOLTS: 115/230" and even the breaker for the pump says "120/240V". I'm guessing it's wired for 220V, but I don't want to order the wrong timer. So is there a quick/easy way I can tell without hiring an electrician to come out just to tell me which timer to order?

Couple of ways.
Look at the breaker - if it has two-bars connected together, rather than single bar - it's probably 230. If its 'two bays' wide, it's probably 230.
Turn the breaker off, pop the access cover of the pump where the cable goes in, off and look for the connectors shown below
1714764353556.png

However, if you are not 100% comfortable with wiring 230/115 circuits, I would highly recommend consulting a local, licensed electrician - pools + electricity = major potential for serious issues.

You may want to consider a digital timer rather than the mechanical - most now will accomodate both 115 and 230 with minor setup changes. I used this on my Hayward super Pump for a while before I switched to a VSP

Suralec Wi-Fi Pool Timer

Reactions: HermanTX
Couple of ways.

<snip>
Thanks for the info. The breaker is two bays wide, with a single bar on the right-hand bay. I tried to remove the access cover but it was stuck and I didn't want to force it off unless it was necessary.

I'll check out the digital timers. Thanks for the link!

Oh, and I definitely won't be installing the timer myself. Will hire a professional for that - just didn't want to hire somebody until I had the timer in hand.