Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble * Updated*

1. Back To Top    #1

Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble * Updated*

Picking the finish of the pool was nerve wracking to say the least, and I scoured these forums and the internet for advice on colors, finishes, etc. We were torn between Quartzscapes and Stonescapes and finally went with the mini pebble. First off, we love the texture and the look of it on our baja step. Our initial concern was that it was going to be too rough but it's not at all.

Now for the bad. Our pool has been filled about 4 days ago. Chlorine has been added (salt in 2 weeks) and it's been filtering for the past 3 days. I kept hoping that it would right itself based on other people who went through their initial water being green upon start up, but our PB came today and said he thinks it won't get more blue at all. I'm devastated. The color is totally off from the sample we took home, and varies much more than I anticipated from photos I've looked at on the internet. NPT's site has a pool with the same finish in California which is where I am from, so I figured it would be somewhat similar to that color, but it's no where close.

I figured I'd post pictures here in case anyone else is considering this color:

From NPT's site what I thought my pool would resemble:

What my pool really looks like:

Approx. 16k gal (16.5' x 30.5') Freeform, Salt Water, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Shark Vac Cleaning Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble - Hate the Color :(

Are you sure you got the right color plaster? There doesn't look like there's any blue in that at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm no photographer but that first picture looks enhanced. Maybe skies are that blue somewhere but I've never seen it.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the water clear? In the photo it looks like it's still a bit murky. If so, it may be too early to judge the final color. That said, the tropical effect with (what looks like) white plaster is very nice, albeit not what you expected. Very complimentary to the stone.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Chlorine has been added but is it really holding? What is your CYA level? Where I'm going is if you are adding chlorine so it's correct at the time of addition, but then 24 hours later it could be 0 if you have no or very low CYA. Therefore it may not have cleared up the initial green tint. Ours was greenish and then went to blue. Here are two pics, the first after filling, the second a week later with chemicals in (mostly) proper balance. We have plaster tinted gray, not an aggregate finish. I hope this works out for you, I'm sure it's troubling to say the least.

[attachment=1:24xgmtp4]2013-05-22 18.15.21 - TFP.JPG[/attachment:24xgmtp4]

[attachment=0:24xgmtp4]2013-05-27 18.40.59 - TFP.JPG[/attachment:24xgmtp4]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I second the opinion that the water looks like it could be clearer and it's effecting your color. A cloudy pool will affect your color.

From the deck, can you see what type of screws are used in the floor drain? If you cannot, the water needs be chemically balanced and to be filtered more before you can truly judge the final color.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by AlanE
    I'm no photographer but that first picture looks enhanced. Maybe skies are that blue somewhere but I've never seen it.
    Looks like that just about year round here, also as I recall Arizona looks like that too. That's what happens at 3k ft. elevation.

I'm sure there was a small amount of post processing done on the photo, there almost always is. But it clearly isn't enough to effect the plaster color the way the op is seeing in his/her pool.
    That just looks downright awful!, I'd say the pb goofed up. It looks like an algae breakout.

The water does look murky though, hopefully it'll clear up and reveal a nicer plaster finish color. If not, I do pray the pb is ethical and nice enough to work with you on finishing it.
    Are you holding the final deposit?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

8. Back To Top    #8

Those sample pictures do not look excessively processed. Depending on time of day and angle of the picture with respect to sun, the sky can be rendered even darker.
    Your pool does not appear to be in the same hue range, but did you take the picture in similar light and around the same time of day?
    Is your pool as deep as the sample pool?
    Is you picture taken at the same/similar distance from the pool as the samples?

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble - Hate It * Updated*

** Updated **

Thank you everyone for responding. When I posted this, the chemicals were balanced and we were brushing the pool 4x a day and running the filter constantly. Even then, the water still would cast a green/tan color. Then we ran the robotic vacuum several times a day and after day 2 of doing this, the water started turning blue. PB never really mentioned how much dirt/dust is actually on the pebble initially. I don't know if it was dust, plaster, dirt, etc. but there was quite a bit.
    Approx. 16k gal (16.5' x 30.5') Freeform, Salt Water, Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Shark Vac Cleaning Robot

10. Back To Top    #10

That's looking really good!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

So... are you still hating it or has it grown on you?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I'm glad someone asked. I was afraid to!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd like it to be a bit darker than it is, but overall I'm happy with it. It's a good balance of blue water and a sandy looking baja step. If I had to do it again, I would probably look into adding some black to the Tahoe Blue mix like some of the other people in this forum have done before. I bet that looks really nice.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you want to "correct" your thread title?
    -- Guy --

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: Stonescapes Tahoe Blue Mini Pebble * Updated*

Done.

16. Back To Top    #16

Nice! Enjoy your pool! It looks very nice.
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

I love the fountain water feature-That's a neat touch.
    15K gal, 16'x32' oval, AG vinyl, 1.5 HP Splapool pump, Astralpool 120sqft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaTrol Digital SWG with Turbocell t-cell-5, Pool installed 6/1/2013, Wanda the Whale cleaning robot
    I like the TF-100 test kit | Pool Calculator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by sdspencer
    [b][size=150]

I just wanted to give an update for people searching for Stonescapes mini pebble pictures. Here is the updated image of our water as of day 10. It's actually a bit bluer in real life than it shows. These are full sun images:
    As it is, your pool and the finish color looks outstanding.

That said, the color of the finish does not seem to be close to what you wanted (and paid for). If it were my pool, I'd be making some noise.
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by ignoramous
    That said, the color of the finish does not seem to be close to what you wanted (and paid for). If it were my pool, I'd be making some noise.
    I couldn't agree more.

Not to pick, as it is your pool, but I will add, simply as a different viewpoint from an outsider looking in.

It does look better, but from the photos it just really seems like it is only because of the newly achieved clarity. The pigment and tone still seem the same to this color sensitive eye.
    It basically looks like you cleaned off a dirty, cloudy window so that now the view outside is more clear. That which is being viewed outside didn't change, just what you're viewing it through is all.

I hope it works out to your satisfaction.
    Cheers!
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by sdspencer
    I'd like it to be a bit darker than it is, but overall I'm happy with it. It's a good balance of blue water and a sandy looking baja step. If I had to do it again, I would probably look into adding some black to the Tahoe Blue mix like some of the other people in this forum have done before. I bet that looks really nice.
    Looking at my Tahoe blue, it has a lot of black, white and tan pebble and some red, but no blue. I think my water is slightly bluer but does have a slight green tinge, just like Tahoe.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast