Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool up and just about full...now what??

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool up and just about full...now what??

Ok, our brand new 18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame is just about full, so what's the first thing i need to do? I bought the TF-100 kit and i'd like to do the BBB method if possible.

Please advise.

Thanks
    Matt
    Doughboy 24' x 48" (AG), AQUA Tools Cartridge Filter, Frog System
    2004 Sundance Cameo SPA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool up and just about full...now what??

Measure your current levels, use poolcalculator.com to get everything in balance. Be sure to fill in the yellow section marked Suggested Goal Levels near the bottom. troublefreepool.com, bleach, vinyl.

If this is 100% fresh water (I'm sure it is!) you can use floaters with trichlor tablets to chlorinate while you bring your CYA up with those same tablets, or you can do everything separate. Just use the calculator to tell you how each tablet will affect the CYA as you use them. If is easier to most to keep it all separate, as in add bleach and CYA/stabilizer separately, you can do that; it just depends on what is easier for you.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get some bleach and cya in there. Shoot for 40 ppm of CYA in a sock in front of the return and adjust FC to that level of CYA. The CYA won't show up for about a week. Then check PH.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what I've tested so far
    Ph 7.5
    Total chlorine 0
    Total alk 380
    CH I stopped at 45 drops because I couldn't tell if it was purple or blue, not sure what I was really shooting for.
    2004 Sundance Cameo SPA

5. Back To Top    #5

Some chlorine ASAP. Do you have any stabilizer on hand ?

What exactly do you have on hand ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've got nothing on hand, that's why I was asking.

Just did cya test and filled the entire tube and still could see black dot.
    2004 Sundance Cameo SPA

7. Back To Top    #7

I would get some CYA and dose FC for 30-40 ppm of CYA.

Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

So I need to go and purhcase 1 jug of the HTH stabilizer and conditioner? Is that all I need? Are the directions on it in terms of measuring it out.
    2004 Sundance Cameo SPA

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by willie1280
    So I need to go and purhcase 1 jug of the HTH stabilizer and conditioner? Is that all I need? Are the directions on it in terms of measuring it out.
    Use
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/ Bookmark that page; it's your new best friend.

Put in your gallons, put zero in the now column for CYA and your chosen goal in the Target. I'd suggest 40 in case the pool's not as deep as you think. You can add more later easily enough, but removal is a PITA. It will tell you how much by weight or volume. Measure that much out into an old sock or nylon, tie it up, and suspend it in the pool in front of the return jet. Or dangling off a float like a pool toy. That's it! It will dissolve ina few days. Squeezing it now and then will speed it up, but don't let the kids play football with it or anything too rough.

Then just set pH in the comfort zone and maintain Chlorine level to the recommended levels for the CYA you targeted.

Harleysilo just wrote extensively on this topic here: post531223.html#p531223
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!