Chemical help on intex pool

I'd be tempted to drain 1/2 the pool - after your store CYA test.
Refill and adjust CYA using the calculator, but cutting the test level in half.

And start over again on a daily BBB/Pool Calculator regimen.

I would just dump the whole thing. Did you tell them it was roughly 3k gallons? You started with a clean pool, am I correct? That is just rediculous!

Yes the pool store sold you down the river. Casey isright, if you can dump the pool do so if not half would be better than nothing. Bleach and stabilizer are the two main things for your pool. And stabilizer is only needed once for the most part.

Your learning and that is great!

I only use bleach.......for everything. Don't think of shocking the pool requires a bag of powder, shocking requires a high level of chlorine, which is our bleach......got it? Don't worry, it took me around a month to figure that out a few years back....your not alone here. Been where you are not that long ago....

Bob E.

Unfortunately I rent the house I live in and the landlord pays the water bill so if I can get away with not dumping it I would much rather. She agreed to me having the pool but I don't want her to keep paying for it. I did throw her money towards the bill but I don't want to keep having to do that.

I checked it this morning after bleaching it last night and my chlorine level was 5 and I honestly believe it is clearing up a little. I will go to the pool store after work and have them test that CYA level.

Yes I did tell them it was a 3k pool. They have it printed on the sheets they give me everytime with directions.

I went to the pool store during my lunch break and just as I thought my test was correct. I have no CYA in my pool. According to them I am not suppose to with this type pool because it would destroy the filter cartridge is what I'm told but something tells me that's incorrect. He also said my FC was 1, AKL 160, and PH 7.6. I added bleach last night and more this morning around 6am.

He said I have a lot of dead chlorine in the bottom of my pool and that's why it's so cloudy. I told him I could see that happening since they have me overdosing my pool with all kinds of chemicals constantly. They sold me and I'm asking you first if I should put it in. Oxidizer Activator (A powerful chlorine free oxidizer) to get out the dead chlorine.

brickladyt said:
I went to the pool store during my lunch break and just as I thought my test was correct. I have no CYA in my pool. According to them I am not suppose to with this type pool because it would destroy the filter cartridge is what I'm told but something tells me that's incorrect. He also said my FC was 1, AKL 160, and PH 7.6. I added bleach last night and more this morning around 6am.

He said I have a lot of dead chlorine in the bottom of my pool and that's why it's so cloudy. I told him I could see that happening since they have me overdosing my pool with all kinds of chemicals constantly. They sold me and I'm asking you first if I should put it in. Oxidizer Activator (A powerful chlorine free oxidizer) to get out the dead chlorine.

Why does this not FLOOR me?

I knew when you stated you could see the dot in the CYA test that you had no CYA and I told you how to add it. You need it! Every pool that pushes water through a filter and back into a pool needs it regardless of cart/sand/DE filters. He's snorting chlorine!

As for what he says too you... the only thing dead at the bottom of your pool is his load of BS! Either take the pool store route or go through Pool School. You can't mix and match because what he says n we say are 2 different things and you'll go no where fast. It's up to you on how you want to proceed.

P.S. If you bought the *powerful chlorine free oxidizer* Take it back!

Just a thought, if there is another pool store close that could testCYA, that would be interesting......

I think you can see, those pool guys are full of you-know-what. First, CYA does not destroy cartridges. What a horrible statement that was. Dead chlorine....funny, my understanding of chlorine is generally it's either a colorless gas, or in liquid state it's liquid, not solid, particularly in water it could NOT be a solid. Furthermore, reading though here you will find that generally it's an infection in your pool that makes the water cloudy, and that algae when it is dead settles to the bottom of a pool.....not chlorine. Again, I believe we are at strike two or three for your pool store........I would not believe a single thing they say again about a pool......Ok, maybe the color of a pool they sell, that's it.

Take your "oxidizer" back later this week (tell him you dumped the pool or didn't need it after all) and again I repeat....you only need bleach to keep your pool clean and sparkling.....it IS the ONLY sanatizer you will ever need.

What did you learn today? I hope you learned that it looks like your testing methods ARE correct (congratulations, and yes, it took me awhile to get there too), and now, you need to be absolutely certain and confident you know how to use the pool calculator. Remember you will put what your testing results are in whatever block you are trying to use AND you must put in the target level you are going for. Next week I should be able to ask you how many ounces of bleach you need to add if your chlorine level is 2ppm and you want to bring it up to 7ppm (assuming your target is 7 for your pool). In the past two months I have had my pool up and running and using the calculator, I can now do that......I know, kind of amazed myself I can do that, but that is the familiarity you will get using the pool calculator and doing your own pool maintenance.

If you're certain you cannot maintain your clorine level, then you really do have very little CYA or you have a heck of an infection in your pool which it seems you are winning, eating chlorine. I would (and other here will too) put half the amount of CYA in your pool in a sock and let it dissolve for a week, then retest after that.

If your algae is dropping to the bottom you will have to invent a vacuum for your pool or stir it up alot by brushing the floor and try to get the Intex filter to capture the dead stuff.

Keep it up, your just about to have the best looking pool in the neighborhood, despite being screwed up by the pool store!!

Bob E.

brickladyt said:
I definately feel like there has been an over kill of chemicals being thrown in over a 1 weeks time. These were all orders given to me by the pool store.
Visit 1 they had me add
5lb of alkalinity up
2lb of calcium
1qt mineral magnet
1/2 bag turbo shock
3/4oz chlorine granules
Visit 2
1 whole bag of turbo shock
Visit 3
1/4 bottle TPP ALG 25
Visit 4
1/4 bottle TPP ALG 25
2lb Alkalinity up
2lb of calcium
3/4oz chlorine granules

Now it's to the point you can't even see the bottem it's so cloudy.

You can't afford NOT to get a TF-100 test kit.

Yes I did purchase The Oxide but I had every intention of returning it if that's what this site said I should do.

I found this site in hopes I could get some help without having to spend a ton of money anymore. I just can't do it but I will not let hubby win in saying this pool was a bad idea. But so far he is and my girls and I are hot. I think I have made a good start by purchasing the ingredients to get me started. And putting the the bleach in last night and again morning.

Ok so they are full of Crud and I need a stabilizer. Someone else mentioned I can go right to Walmart and buy that stabilizer/conditioner. I will put it in a stocking and hang it in front of the jet. Should I take it out while we swim? Or leave it there?

I did buy a scuba vac that hooks right into my pump so I will continue to use that. Worked great when my pool my green last year.

Safetybob I will work hard to try and figure out the pool calculator. But I may still have questions. Especially where I really thought I was correct on my bleach level last night but was told I put in to little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so let me 100% get this straight. I need to go to walmart and buy stabilizer/condition. Put half the bottle in a sock and hang it in front of the jet. And then put my normal bleach in tonight plus give it a vacuum.

I have a skimmer should I not put it in there? Or do you not recommend that?

Please refresh us... as this was a *CLEAN* fill up a week ago with no algae? Correct?

They had you add all that garbage to the pool and it went from clean tap water to a commercial for White Cloud toilet paper?

Thank you! That's what I thought!

Crystal clear water ruined by a pool store... Who woulda thunk?!!! :hammer:

I trusted them since last year I dealt with a green pool and faithfully had gone to a different pool store and once again spent all kinds of money and it was still green. So I found them and they cleared it up within a week. But the same as last year they did not have me add stabilizer and I could never keep a chlorine level.
Now this year I'm going threw a total other nightmare but once again no chlorine level. That's when I finally decided to start looking online for some help.

After the CYA dissolves put what you targeted for into the pool calculator in the now column. It can take up to a week for it to show on a test, but treat the pool like it is there. Adding the CYA will change your target chlorine levels but the chlorine will last longer in the sun so more is available for sanitizing the pool.

In the FC column it states Goal:1 to 3. I put now 1 and Target 5 since it seems I was going to low last night. I have a 3282 gallon pool. So it's telling me to add 20oz of 8.25% bleach. Is this correct on how much I should add along with the stabilizer that states 18oz of stablizer for a 0 CYA reading.

You're doing the calculations correctly, with your numbers that's what I get. The reason you're losing FC so fast is because of the lack of stablizer. Once that's in and dissolved you shouldn't have to go above the high goal level except if you have to shock.

Down near the bottom of the calculator is a suggested FC levels box for your CYA. It's safe to swim up to the shock level. It's wasteful of chlorine to go above the high normal/goal unless you're in the shock process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.