OKC renovation - forty-year facelift

Nice to see your progress Mia, and thanks for stopping by on mine. Been crazy busy the last several days with us like everyone. This tile thing is beyond frustrating to me. It makes me wonder why they even have a name for a given sample. With all the variation, they ought to have a group of them, and say... "whatever you pick will be something sorta' like this."

Things are moving along slowly here - that's what we get for a winter/holiday time project! I keep telling myself that at least I am not losing any swim time, but looking out at the mess in my yard (all of our back windows look at the pool, so the kitchen, living and breakfast room - all the places we "live" - see the destruction) makes me a little cranky now that we are in week 6. This was originally supposed to be an 8 week project but I know there isn't any chance we'll meet that deadline. We have had two poorly timed ice storms in the last six weeks, one which shut down work (and most of the city) for almost a week. The storms are poorly timed because they haven't matched up with the holidays at all, and so of course those are days off, too! We have had only 7 days where workers of various trades were here doing something, which I guess is more than one day per week average so I am clinging to that. :)

We made the final decision on our tile after a few things helped us make up our minds. We had narrowed our search down to only polished/glossy tiles, with our rationale that we think they will be easier to clean since they do not have all of the crevices of some of the simulated stone tiles. Also, some of the really matte tiles had that "fingernails on the chalkboard" kind of quality to the texture and I thought that some day, if we ever need to really scrub on them (I know sometimes various mineral deposits might need a pumice or tile stone as a last-ditch effort) we would not be able to handle it. We wanted a very straight square edge tile rather than a chiseled edge, again due to the nooks and crannies issue. That narrowed it down a whole lot, but the two hardest parts were that the catalogs do not specify the glossiness of the tiles and of course the color choice. We had to get lots of samples that didn't meet our other criteria before we got it down to two possible color contenders - NPT Geosheen Geoblue and NPT Aquarius Moorea Lapis Blue.

First, and extremely helpful, another TFP member happened to post a photo of their pool and the tile looked like one we were considering, and they were kind enough to confirm my suspicion that it was Moorea Lapis Blue. It really was great to see the tile in someone's pool. new-pool-in-sf-bay-area-t70867.html

Second, we had our PB get us several more samples of our top two contenders, including a 2 inch mosaic sample, so we could see more variations in the colors in these "high shade variation" tiles. Once we had five samples to go with in each line, we brought them outside and looked at them with our plaster sample and our concrete deck sample. I didn't have any samples of the stacked stone we are getting on our retaining wall, but I had a photo I'd taken at the stone yard that I tried to keep in mind, too. We put all the samples together, and looked at them up close and from various points far away (like "here we are in our lounge chairs." "here we are in the house looking out the window"). This time of year, our house completely shades the pool area almost all day, so we actually did this in the front yard where we have some sunshine like we will have all summer in the pool area, although in the winter the light temperature is quite different.

From those "highly scientific" tests (ha ha!) we determined that, of course, my husband liked one while I liked the other. You could probably see that one coming!

Intellectually, I could see why the hubster liked the one he did, as I could see how it matched up with the plaster color very well. However, from far away, it looked almost like a black tile, as the darker color blended together into a pretty monochromatic look once you got away from it. We reminded ourselves that plaster color doesn't equal water color, however. We didn't want it to be really dark (calcium deposits as the plaster cures is a big concern for us) and ultimately, after sleeping on it, *we* decided on the lighter. This also happened to be the first one I had ever pointed out to our PB in the catalog as one I liked, and he told me that something like 8 out of 10 times, people go back to their first choice. I've become a statistic!

After a looooong slow period, work has started again. Yesterday they came and did some repairs to the bond beam, setting forms around the edges and floating some concrete. It looks like they were leveling it out from the demo of the previous coping kind of tearing it up, plus, our skimmers were not level before so they may have been doing something to remedy that.

I am a little worried because my father-in-law had cautioned me against having any concrete/mortar/tile/grout work done when the temps are forecast to dip under 40 degrees for a 3 day period. Last night it went down to maybe 34. PB has said his guideline is temps above 35. My dad said he thinks above 32 is fine, that's what he learned from my grandpa who was a builder for 50+ years. Any opinions [from other armchair concrete people like me? :)]?

Tile is supposed to go up today! Skimmers are supposed to be set! I also have gotten a sudden idea to talk to PB about a deck-mount auto cover, just to see what kind of cost we would be looking at. Previously, I was against any top-mount options (which is pretty much the only feasible option for the shape of our pool, short of getting two systems). I have seen some that can have the tracks flush mount if you are repouring the deck (like we are) and since we will have a retaining wall completely along one end of the pool, I am wondering if we can build it out it as some kind of container for a cover (above ground, not vault). Or perhaps plan for it to be that way and set the tracks and get the electrical and wall ready for it, and add the actual cover later this year. Not sure. Probably way too far out of our budget. Will talk to him about it.

Something like this from Cover Pools http://www.coverpools.com/customize-you ... ssed-track
But with a custom "deck box" face with the bluestone of our retaining wall.

It was so gratifying to see people working on the pool yesterday! Progress! Whoohoo!

The guys came to make more repairs to the bond beam to prep for the tile. Evidently, the height difference on the bond beam was almost 2", and had been built up with brown coat to compensate. So all that was taken off and concrete forms used to level out and square off. We did have a problem with the skimmers not being level (one would look perfect and the other would almost be sucking air) but that actually was separate from the bond beam being unlevel, and will also be remediated.

Today they are supposed to come back to start setting tile (quietly, as it's Sunday) and set the skimmers. Yesterday, the electricians were working again. We had switches to operate the pool and spa lights, and the spa pump, both inside and outside. Now that the spa is decommissioned, we are having the pool lights switched inside and out, and adding a fourplex of plugs out by the pool electrical panel in anticipation of adding a fountain/water feature for ambient noise independent of the pool pumps. That outlet will be switched inside and out, too, and I plan on storing our robot out there and plugging into that receptacle. At the last minute, I asked for an additional outlet to go outside near the chimney (with my outdoor switches) just because I have a feeling you can never have too many outlets.

Discussed the cover with the PB yesterday. He is reluctant, as with our pool shape we would cover almost all our decking with a single pool cover. With two, we'd preserve some decking but double the cost and maintenance/repair. He is willing to do whatever we want, of course, but advises against it. He is going to price it out for us, and we also discussed other ways of securing the pool from other parts of the backyard for when kids come along. There are a few fencing options he will price for us in conjunction with a winter/safety cover as an alternative. What I don't want to is to have five things we have to manually do to secure the pool at a cost of X and then find we could've had an auto cover at cost Y and the convenience of the push of a button.

We have TILE!!! NPT Moorea Lapis Blue, which is actually Gambarelli Group from Italy. Fancy!

Not totally happy with the skimmers, PB is supposed to come look today. One isn't square to the bond beam, and the tiling is different on the two. Not sure which is better ... a full tile with a sliver of a second or a full tile and a big grout joint.

Looks like they are doing nice work Mia. We are getting close on tile, but this is harder than I ever imagined. It is beyond frustrating seeing the "wide shade Variation". Same tiles look SO much different, I don't see how they call them the same. We are actually considering a glossy one now and never thought we would. I need to update as we have gunite shot. I am so dismayed at the state of my backyard I hate going out there. Right now it is hard to imagine it ever looking good again. I know it will, but right now it is depressing to look at.

Patrick, I rode it down to the absolute wire on tile selection. My PB ended up in Dallas for the holidays and he actually went to the distributor to get me 5 samples each of our top two contenders so I could see a good idea of the variation. I googled the heck out of the tile names to try to see pics, too. I think prior to that, I'd been through three different lines, maybe 18 selections total. I finally gave up on the tile catalogs, they did me no good since they didn't specify glossiness of the tile, and the pics hardly look like the actual tile (IMHO). He finally told me he had to know by the next morning, and I went to bed sure it would be Tile A but woke up in the morning and decided Tile B. Glad I did! Once it was on the pool, it seemed darker than I'd thought, and was glad I hadn't gone with the darker tile.

Keithw, it looks like I will not get a choice as PB thinks it will be hidden by the coping now that the skimmers have been recessed from the bond beam and is not visible enough to merit a reset for such a small amount. I am not sure I agree, but am trying to pick my battles (concrete colorant, for example, is the current one).

It's not your opinion, the catalogs, online, and sample are nothing alike. Beating the horse, neither are the actual samples! It is beyond description if you ask me. How are you supposed to choose something? We are looking at OSS NILE Ocean Blue Nile (I think) and PB said the higher gloss ones vary less. I hope so, Wife loves it, I'm ok with it, but worry about glare. That said, glossier should help with cleaning it. Now for the finish choice. We are likely mixing two we like. Good luck on your cement color battle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's the latest Mia? They work this week or coming out this weekend? I think we are waiting for tile now...I think. :mrgreen:

I do see why now that they say "12 weeks" to build a pool. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when they show up, or how long they work. None at all. I'm ok though, I really hope to see the worst of weather pass before we plaster up and fill.

We had a little bit of a crisis regarding the concrete coping and deck which has taken up most of the week. Long story short, there were supposed to be lots of blue-gray colors (similar to bluestone) for us to choose from for the pour. It turns out, there are not. Blue is the elusive unicorn of the concrete world, in fact one concrete place told me they have to ship actual cobalt in from Africa to create the pigment (that is a bit of a stretch I find, I found a supplier that had some synthetics or compounds closer to OKC than Africa, but you get the idea of the type of push-back we were getting). I found a plain gray that we might use but will need lots of hand-tinting to make it acceptable to me and not look like regular old cement - what's the point of coloring and stamping it if it looks like regular concrete?

PB wants to meet to discuss this as he was not planning to do that much hand-tint work (it is very labor intensive), even though our contract does specify that the concrete will be hand-tinted with 2-3 colors and joints will be grouted. Do not want to cause a major rift over this discrepancy with the scope of work, and since the problem is the base color isn't great, I keep looking for a better base color to limit the amount of after-pour coloring we need to have. We finally found a supplier with a range of TWO blue colors suitable for addition to gray concrete (evidently some pigments are designated to work with white concrete, some with gray, or perhaps they are the same pigments but look different when added to different bases), but the cost is exorbitant, on the order of $31/lb premium colorant as opposed to $5/lb for the regular tones. That prompted a whole 'nother round of discussion, which consisted of trying to find ways to make it work at a cost that was doable - obviously, when PB quoted our price he had not planned on paying 6x as much as normal for the colorant. As a starting point, supplier told me the premium required 10/lbs/yard, so $310/yard vs $50/yard, and we need probably 18 yards, so choices of either $1000 or $6000 for just the colorant. Ouch! Let's go back to looking at real bluestone! :)

The supplier had two suggestions, one was to pour plain concrete for the 4" base and then do an overlay with the premium colored concrete. PB strongly discourages overlays, says they do not last and he will not do it. I tend to agree, if we could have overlayed we wouldn't have ripped out 1,000 sf of existing concrete deck, ya know.

Option two was to pour 3" base plain gray, immediately pour final 1" with premium color, reducing premium needed to 25% of the full pour. This seemed better for a myriad of reasons, but PB has never done this before. Lots and lots of discussion with supplier and PB, misinformation flying all over the place, depending on who answered the phone at the supplier. Finally, we meet with PB and all the samples and it turns out it is a moot point because the colors are more of a crayola blue and won't work for us anyway! Argh!

I am trying to be mindful of a recently locked thread as I type this, and while it was certainly never reached that level of contentiousness, it was an uncomfortable meeting but ultimately it ended well. Although we had tried to spell out everything we wanted very clearly by stating each step in the contract, there are evidently still some areas that are open to interpretation. My advice to anyone reading this in the future is to use quantifiable measurements whenever possible (percentages of hand-tinted colors, for example - 65% of deck hand-tinted with up to 3 individual acetone colors,) in the language of the contract to be crystal clear on the expectations, and even attach photos of samples to the contract and make them addenda to the contract - a visual is sometimes much more clear than the language can be. I wish we had actually picked every item (every color, tile, profile, etc) prior to writing the contract because of the domino effect each decision has on the others - if we can't get a blue-gray stamped deck, do we want a bluestone retaining wall any more? If we don't have a bluestone wall, does the tile that is already on the pool look good? Things like that. I can see I will never build a custom home because the amount of minute decisions required just in this pool build are so numerous!

But I digress. Ultimately, the PB wants us happy and we want him to continue with our project, even though he offered to tally up where we are now to let someone else take over. We had a very frank discussion about each of our expectations and where we are in the project (does everyone reach this point in a project like this? It felt a bit like therapy) and yesterday was the projected date of completion. We do not want someone else, we just want the project completed the way we discussed. I think our PB is a stand-up guy, and he is willing to do what we want for the price he quoted, even if he misunderstood or misremembers what that was. Unfortunately, there are a few things he would be doing for the first time on our job so he would not warrant it if we pushed him to do it a certain way. It has been many months since we had our initial meetings (September for the first meeting) and worked on the contract, and I am mindful that while this is OUR only project, PB probably has a few projects to keep track of besides ours and may not remember the intricate details in the same way as we do.

Believe it or not, that was the short version! Ha ha!

Going forward, the plan is to pour coping on Monday with the non-premium color DCI "Weathered Tin." They will be using OG Stegmeier forms, and stamping a texture which will match the deck stamp texture on the top of the coping, and then cutting expansion joints every 4' - we want them as few as possible, but am not sure if 3' or 4' is optimal for the concrete. I came home last night and the forms were here, and had a bit of a heart attack over the "white tile strip" listed on the box, which necessitated a trip to google to find out we absolutely do not want a white tile strip left attached after our coping pour - after changing out all the fittings and skimmers and grout to gray, a white plastic strip on my tile line would probably make me have a fit. I clarified with PB that he will not be using that on our job, and he says it is a bit more laborious to do the pour without it but he will forgo using it. I think that is because we are using the form as a coping form rather than a cantilever deck form that is possible to not use the tile strip, which I think acts as an expansion joint for a cantilever deck.

Tues & Wed should be deck drains laid and plumbing pressure test, and weather permitting, deck pour on Thurs. I need to get the posts for our pergola (which we will build ourselves to save some $) over here because PB is going to set them for us prior to the pour. The deck will be poured with Weathered Tin and stamped with a large Ashlar Slate pattern. We will have some sample boards done so we can play with additional colors/tints/antiquing and then go in and chalk the deck stones where we want specific colors done. One thing we are still in the air on is grouting the stamped concrete. We had wanted all joints filled with grout to make it look like a mortared stone patio. PB misunderstood and thought we were specifying grout in the expansion joints, not all joints. That is one thing he says he is willing to do but not warranty. It is not a decision we need to make right now, we will be able to test it on the sample boards and it would be one of the last things we do, so we can think about taking our chances without the warranty or not. Anyone ever grouted a stamped concrete deck? Would appreciate any insight.

Our concrete decking was hand painted/sprayed (base layer then colored by individual stone after that with about 4-5 different colors - then highlighted - all with a garden sprayer) then "grouted" in the carved grout lines. The grout effect was made with mortar mix mixed up to a paint-like consistency and hand painted. Painting the grout lines took one guy over two full days. After a few days or a week the grout lines had never really cured/dried, meaning that they would smudge if you walked on them (or twisted your foot on them). Rain in the interim did no harm. Then they sealed it quickly (which they were planning to do anyway). That locked in the grout and it never changed after that. It was quite a vibrant light gray almost white looking at first then turned more medium gray by the time it was sealed.

We did as you mentioned by showing them pictures of what we expected for the stone pattern and coloration during the write-up phase. Our difference was that the coloring is a standard part of the Stonemakers process, so there was less confusion than you are dealing with.

I did have to chuckle about your "does everyone reach this point in a project like this?" comment! We did. I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. Not comfortable but a good business, back and forth discussion. Each side was heard, we came to an agreement and moved forward.

Don't go with something on the decking that your gut tells you isn't right. I think you are taking the right approach to discuss a lot of things and consider all options.

Thanks, mrcarcrazy! I would love to see how the tile looks with some water :)

Patrick, we are in an endless wait for the weather. Back around Christmas when it became evident we were not going to hit our Jan 17 deadline, I told hubby I'd be happy if we made my birthday at the end of February ... now I am hoping for April Fool's Day! They just haven't been able to get anything done. Well, about two weeks ago they came and dug some of the drainage trenches to install the deck drains. We were originally going to do channel drains in front of the retaining wall to direct the water down to the side yard of our house. Fixing drainage is really important to us, as several times last year, heavy rains flooded over the wall and directly into the pool, washing dirt and leaves and all and totally turning our pool to brown muck. I spent weeks at a time getting the pool clear after each rain event, and that was valuable swimming time I was a'wasting! So, good drainage=must have! Now I think we will do clear pour-a-lid round drains. PB thinks they will be less obtrusive, and since we are doing pour-a-lid skimmer covers it makes sense.

In demolishing the old wall, we found a big PVC pipe that might have been intended for behind-the-wall drainage at one time, but it was filled with gravel and bamboo rhizomes so wasn't doing anything for us. Also, we didn't find that it connected to anything, so was perhaps poorly planned. Our goal is to tie the deck drains into a french drain in our side yard, and they dug an 6-8 foot hole in the wrong direction until they found the sewer line. Moved about six feet over and found another big PVC pipe filled with gravel about 18 inches down, but the top is cracked. Not sure if it will be salvageable or not.

The hole with sewer line before they enlarged it, spelunking for other lines.

Snow delay - again!

While we're waiting on all this, we are finalizing our plans for the pergola we plan to build over to the left (deep end) of the pool. We built a pergola based on the design below at our last house and loved it, but want to adapt it to a cantilever design (posts only on one side) to preserve deck space. Our old pergola was something like 16' long x 12' deep, and the new one will be 36' long x 5 or 6' deep or so. Completely running along the west side of the pool and deck, and providing a visual "break" between the recreation area and the rear-load-driveway/garage. We do not want to grow a vine like wisteria on it like we did at our first house, although I LOVED it, but it was a big time shedder and we have enough to deal with on the bamboo. Instead, I want to hang outdoor curtains and put rods/tension at both the header and near ground level and pull them across where they are anchored top and bottom (like a sail because it's windy here and they would be blowing all over the place) - we usually use the pool after work, and evening sun comes from the west, so the curtains will block the sun that way. I probably won't have any overhead shade there. We are going to put a dozen umbrella holders in the deck so will be able to move those around pretty easily. My DH has used Google sketchup to make me a mock up of the cantilever pergola design, we need to get out and do some more measurements and such before it's complete but I love seeing it visualized on the screen! I will post a screen shot soon. PB is going to set the posts for us before the concrete deck is poured, then we will build out the top ourselves.

Mia - sorry you are at a standstill, darn winter! The pergola will be beautiful. Have you looked at shades for it? Our patio also will get sun from the west in the afternoon, since the grill will be on that side, curtains weren't an option but I found a Coolaroo shade that I hope will work. I got a light color so it supposedly will let in the light but cut down on the heat. It also has anchors for the bottom. They have them on Amazon and Lowe's if you want to check them out.

You are right on about not putting wisteria near a pool. Oh the droppings. One comment on the drains. We had round drains installed instead of channel like I originally wanted. They were a big problem. The issue is that it's hard to get the drainage just right so that the surface contours to drain appropriately to each drain. Any little low spot will pool water. Mind you these guys were not full-time concrete people, but members of his team that do concrete with some regularity. He came back later and did a makeshift channel drain by grinding a drainage channel right into the decking. I highly recommend the channel drains right from the get-go. Mine is the large kind (4" wide heavy-duty plastic). There are several smaller sizes. He then used the 4 original round drain connections to be the drops to the below-grade 4" PVC pipe.

Love the covered Pergola and if weren't next to the pool I'd say do it again with the Wisteria. I love how that stuff smells! I'll have to show this to my wife, as she is talking Pergola over our Patio now.

I hear ya on the winter, and I was up your way yesterday in Duncan. Lots of snow between there and Midland. Seems like the endless winter for us. I'm really, really tired of it. Warm this WE and another front Mon/Tues. :rant:

What are these Pour a lids you are talking about? I guess I missed that earlier. As for Bamboo, I know what a monster it is to remove. Talk about invasive...:shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.