Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid chlorine vs powder shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine vs powder shock

The liquid seems to work so much better than the powder shock! But, when you have two seater car and are in work clothes to pick it up, the powder is just so much easier! Any thoughts?
    IG 21,120 gal vinyl, Hayward sand filer w/ 1hp Marathon pump (new), Step jets, Kreepy Krawly Legend pool cleaner (new) w/ 1/2 hp booster pump, built in 2003 new liner in 2004 (Hurrincane Ivan) Pensacola Fl.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid chlorine vs powder shock

The powder likely contains stabilized chlorine, which will drive your CYA up rather quickly. Not a good thing. Ask me how I know.

Best to stick with liquid forms of chlorine.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK....how do you know?
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

4. Back To Top    #4

Read the label on the product. If it says dichloro on it, it is a stabilized chlorine. Also check the label for copper sulfate pentahydrate. Believe me, you DON'T want that in your pool! Unless you LIKE green hair and fingernails!

Read the pool school (link at the top of the page).
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I could tell by the difference that the liquid was a better choice...but man, it is no joke to transport!
    IG 21,120 gal vinyl, Hayward sand filer w/ 1hp Marathon pump (new), Step jets, Kreepy Krawly Legend pool cleaner (new) w/ 1/2 hp booster pump, built in 2003 new liner in 2004 (Hurrincane Ivan) Pensacola Fl.

6. Back To Top    #6

Tell me about the transport. I don't drive a car, I ride a bike. Two gallons makes an unsteady climb up my steep hill....

7. Back To Top    #7

My suggestion is to stock up about once every couple of week or once per month on liquid chlorine, hauling it all at once if you have room makes life easier.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Well guys it looks like I have all of the chemicals where they should be, but the pool is still extremely cloudy. My filter is 10 years old and was wondering if it needs new sand?

9. Back To Top    #9

Sand may be channelled and you may need to open it up and stick a hose in to get it redistributed, but sand almost never needs to be replaced in a pool filter even if it has been in there 20-30 years. Can you post a full set of current test numbers and describe how the pool looks?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool place didn't want me to do anything until Saturday, as I just added stabilizer on Wednesday.
    TC - 5.0 ppm
    FC - 5.0 ppm
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 170 ppm
    CH - 70 ppm
    Stabilizer - 25 ppm
    Total Dissolved Solids - 3,100

My pool has been mostly green for about a year and a half. Just had some repairs done to the pump and bought a new pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

These #'s were yesterday

12. Back To Top    #12

How much stabilizer did you add?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ndully
    The pool place didn't want me to do anything until Saturday, as I just added stabilizer on Wednesday.
    TC - 5.0 ppm
    FC - 5.0 ppm
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 170 ppm
    CH - 70 ppm
    Stabilizer - 25 ppm
    Total Dissolved Solids - 3,100

My pool has been mostly green for about a year and a half. Just had some repairs done to the pump and bought a new pool cleaner
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess those are numbers from the pool store?
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes they are! I have a test kit but it is at least three years old. Even though the water is blue, it still looks slimmey to me in addition to be cloudy. When I maintained the pool consistently, that was my first clue that it needed chlorine, but the chlorine levels are high! I promise that if I ever get this thing clear again and will never shut off the filter in winter again!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

[s:340119b8]5 FC is not high enough for 70 CYA. That's the bare minimum, and it was probably below that by the time you got back from the pool store. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock If it's looking cloudy, I'd start worrying.[/s:340119b8]

OOPS I stand corrected

[center:340119b8][youtube:340119b8]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:340119b8][/center:340119b8]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

You mentioned having used both forms of chlorine. What has been your primary source of chlorine in your pool since its last total water change? Solid stabilized powdered chlorine such as pucks, granules, powder; cal hypo, dichlor, trichlor? Or has it been liquid chlorine/bleach?

What prompted adding stabilizer, ie. CYA?

See my Sig for a few more details on how to go about cleaning and resettling your sand bed. Do note that an improperly working filter will never make for a green pool. Cloudy or murky but otherwise water looking, yes, green or non natural watery blue, no. Filters don't kill algae, chlorine does. Filters just trap the dead stuff and other particulate or organic matter.

I would say it a safe bet that if you have been using the pool store method, using stabilized CL for years on end and haven't changed your water frequently. Your stabilizer is through the roof, causing your pool to require much more CL than you can throw at it for it to make a difference and work to keep it clear and clean. Read up about it in Pool School, also in my Sig. The CYA to CL relationship.
    You need to get one of our recommend test kits, if you don't already have one, so among other things you can test the CYA level yourself.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    5 FC is not high enough for 70 CYA.
    The op said CYA was 25, CH was 70.
    That's too low for a Pool Store pool, I don't buy it.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

18. Back To Top    #18

Honestly, I can tell you guys before it turned green and stayed that way , I never added anything but powder shock and baking soda...had a crystal clear pool until I shut the filter off in 2011. It has never been the same since. Wednesday was the first time ever that I have used stabilizer and last week for muriatic acid. I have been using liquid chlorine to shock the pool on and off primarily since 2011 (My neighbor lets me borrow his jugs). I am most definitely investing in my own good test kit. This is the first year that I have had my water tested by the pool co. always did it myself!

19. Back To Top    #19

What powder based shock did you use?

Replying from my phone, so I apologize for my brevity.

EDIT: Do you have a way to test CYA?

20. Back To Top    #20

On Tuesday, I put in two 1lb bags of Suncoast Super Shock 4-Way Sanitizer and treatment along with 1 gallon of muriatic acid. On Wed, I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, another gallon muriatic acid, and 4lbs of Suncoast stabilizer/conditioner. The test kit I have test for Chlorine, ph, alkalinity, and acid demand. It looks like I will be heading to the pool store in the morning to try some Drop Down?1?!???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast