Jandy Solar Sensor Wire

Aug 22, 2010
Hi All:

Is the Solar Sensor wire just a standard 18/2 wire that I can pick up at Lowes? I belive these wire are commonly used in security systems. I have enough wire I bght from the local solar dealer to run on the roof and about halfway to my pump but I need some more. I'll solder everything and it will be in conduit. I am plugging into my Janty PDA RS8 system. The sensor I have is for the Goldline but I think it will work with my Jandy as they are both 10k ohm.

Thanks

I had read in one of the Goldline controller manuals that it calls for some ridiculously expensive twisted & shielded wire if you are extending the run. I am about to run into this same issue and have not decided what wire I am going to try. I have access to some fire alarm wire that is twisted and shielded that I may give a go if the AWG is larger enough ... need to verify it is acceptable to bury as well.

I too have seen the twisted pair spec for my Hayward controler, which seems a bit excessive for a thermistor at the end of a wire, so I ended up using UV stabilized 16/2 low voltage landscape wiring, it was much cheaper and seems to be working fine. To me it seems the big concern would be voltage drop on long runs, so by upping the wire size voltage drop would be minimized. Having said that I guess induction could be a problem in some installations therefore the call for the twisted and shielded, for example does a major powerline right of way run just behind your pool, or is there a cell phone tower next to your yard, ...

Ike

p.s. most common alarm wire is 20 or 22 gauge which is smaller than 18, although 18 gauge is used for some alarm functions, mainly to connect alarm sirens though. Not sure about availability at the big box stores, the Lowes around here has 4 conductor 20 gauge, but that is about it.

I just used some of it in my camper for a battery meter ... I just can not remember if it was 16 or 18 AWG ... it certainly was not smaller than that.
How long is your run from the controller to the sensor? I am probably looking at 75+ feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.