Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand filter tank leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

sand filter tank leaking

i just noticed that i developed a leak on my sand filter housing. i have a 26" eco kleer filter. the leak is where they attached the drain fitting to the tank. is there a way to repair this?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: sand filter tank leaking

Welcome to the forum. A pic would help. Is the drain fitting threaded?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The drain fitting should be a bulkhead type fitting. If it's leaking at the seal against the vessel you'll have to remove all the sand in order to repair or replace it.

If it's the cap seal that's leaking, you can shut the pump off and remove the cap and replace or clean and lube the o-ring and get it to seal without losing any sand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

[attachment=0:5jtufem4]crack.jpg[/attachment:5jtufem4]

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry, I should have looked that one up. That part is molded into the vessel. There's no way to fix it. You'll have to replace the filter. You might be able to find a vessel but they tend to be as expensive as a whole filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

that's what i was afraid of. i may try using a soldering iron and some epoxy glue. can't hurt that's for sure.

7. Back To Top    #7

Those operate under quite a bit of pressure... careful when you "do work" on a pressure vessel! It can certainly hurt someone if you compromise the integrity of the shell.

Just me, but I would replace the thing. Safety is more important than saving a few hundred dollars to me.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

8. Back To Top    #8

Wish me luck, i've cleaned out the crack and drilled two small holes at the beginning and end of it to stop it from spreading (not completely thru). applied a generous layer of jb weld, and is currently drying. will try it tomorrow.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you don't return, we'll know why! You've been advised by knowledgeable people not to proceed. I hope that no one gets hurt being in n around the pool if it doesn't hold.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

well, so far so good. patch is holding and running.

11. Back To Top    #11

Were I to risk a repair, I think I would probably do a fiberglass repair, to give the flaw some strength in tension. but hey, if it works yay! If it fails I would grind off the JB and go back with some fiberglass and resin and then paint the whole shebang to protect against UV degradation.

Might be a good idea to paint what you have there to prolong it under the UV.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here