San Antonio Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I was trying to open the pool today, got the cover off and started filling with water. I noticed the sand filter is leaking, I tried to tighten the nut inside where the basket sits and it’s still leaking. Any suggestions would be appreciated

1710372396878.jpeg

I am not familiar with this sand filter but if there is a leaking thread it is best to back it out. Check the thread if there is an oring seal, lube it and insert back in. Also, thread wrap is helpful on some types of threads.

I am not familiar with this sand filter but if there is a leaking thread it is best to back it out. Check the thread if there is an oring seal, lube it and insert back in. Also, thread wrap is helpful on some types of threads.
Thanks I appreciate it, I do know I didn’t use any thread tape. I will try again in the morning and hopefully I can figure out where I made the mistake.

You've actually photographed your pump. It's understandably confusing given that yours comes as a kit with the sand filter sharing a base.

To confirm, the leak you suspect is from the white star-buttressed plug?

If so, there is an o-ring on drain plugs. That oring is likely cracked or deformed. The best method would be to replace it - hardware stores carry misc o-ring kits and you'll likely find a quick match.

You can use pipe tape as an alternate, but your threads aren't tight or tapered so the seal will only really work if you can get it thick or to roll at the end. Tapered threads that require Teflon tape or dope are not meant to be removed regularly, since repeated and over-tightening causes wallowing and cracking. The value is in the tape acting as lubricant and valley sealant and is not be disturbed, else it needs redone.

A compression seal on straight threads, tape or dope on NPT. One or the other, not both.

Thanks, sorry I wasn’t clear about it. It’s brand new and it is leaking from where the basket attaches to the pump, i don’t know if I put it together correctly the 1st time. I know I didn’t use any lube on the o-rings because it wasn’t in the directions, I was worried that maybe I just didn’t get it tight enough. I’ve taken it apart now so do I add lube to the 2 o-rings or do I put tape on the threads?
1710439883975.jpeg
The water was coming from where these come together.
1710439933184.jpeg

It appears that the primary sealing in that area is by the o-rings - so lube them up to promote better sealing. During re-assembly, make sure the mating surfaces of the housings (where your finger is pointing in the second photo, and the corresponding area on the other section) are VERY well wiped clean - no sand/bugs/vegetable matter/etc. that would prevent them from fitting together. The threaded shaft should be snug, to press the housing parts together, but not gorilla tight. If there is a leak, it is due to the o-rings not sealing correctly. Water can be very sneaky, so don't assume where there is a drip seen is where the leak is - it could be running from some other spot, before it gets to the low point.

Reactions: Lilredrubi
I toke it apart, lubed up the orings and all the gaskets. No leaks now 😊
Thanks for the all help I really appreciate it, but it would have been nice for the installation instructions to have included that information 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: HermanTX