Changing the shaft/impeller seal?

May 3, 2013
Sarasota,FL
I'm in process of putting on a new Sta-Rite Dura Glass motor. I have the ceramic seal already pressed into the housing between the motor and impeller. I tried to put the spring part of the seal on the shaft in between impeller and housing, but it seemed like the spring part of the seal did not sit flush up against the ceramic part. It was hard to see as I was doing it. I'm just wondering: should there be a space between the ceramic part and the spring seal? Or should the two pieces sit right up against each other?

I tried to look through previous posts, but didn't see any that said how tightly the two pieces went together....

The seal is made up of two parts, one half has a ceramic surface and the other has a carbon surface. When you put the impeller on and tighten it, the seal springs sound compress and the two surfaces should touch which creates a friction seal.

mas985 said:
The seal is made up of two parts, one half has a ceramic surface and the other has a carbon surface. When you put the impeller on and tighten it, the seal springs sound compress and the two surfaces should touch which creates a friction seal.

Okay, that makes sense. Once I tighten down the impeller it will push them together. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.