Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: advantage to 2" plumbing on pad with 1-1/2 in. incoming pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

advantage to 2" plumbing on pad with 1-1/2 in. incoming pipe

Wondering if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to plumbing the "pad" with two inch pipes when incoming pipes are only 1.5" and the jandy valve and multiport are also only 1.5"?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: advantage to 2" plumbing on pad with 1-1/2 in. incoming

You're just gonna confuse your water! Not a long enough run to matter. Just wondering............why would you bother?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did just that when I was planning to re-plumb my pad for a new pump and solar anyway.

Biggest reason was to reduce the headloss in all the fittings. Sure the lengths are short, but all the Tees and 90s add a lot of head loss and by increasing the size you can reduce this and increase your flow rate.

BTW, all Jandy valves are 1.5/2 or 2/2.5 or 2.5/3. What this means is a 1.5" pipe will slip into the valve, but a 2" pipe is the same size as the valve inlet and you connect them with a 2" coupler.

If you are doing the work anyway, then it is cheap to increase the size. But there may not really be a point in re-doing the plumbing ONLY for the reason of increasing the size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Buying new pump so just replumbing the entire pad. Thinking if the suction line ever needs replacing on the 30 year old plumbing I would upgrade to 2" and it would match the newer plumbing in the pad.

Also your opinion on - are union valves more likely to leak than glued joints?

Have you ever used a Pasco Ram Bit - plumbing tool that reams out the old pipe on a connection fitting so it can be reused when you are running out of usable pipe.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, unions are probably more likely to leak than a glued fitting, but you just replace the o-ring and it is fixed without doing any cutting and gluing.

I have not used a "fitting saver" but did just recommend trying it to someone else who has no pipe to work with here:
    is-there-a-pump-fitting-adapter-to-stop-this-inlet-leak-t58027.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!