Replumb equipment pad for 2"?

luckybaker4

Aug 19, 2019
Kansas City
Hey All -

My pool builder used 1.5" PVC throughout the entire build. For intakes, I have 2 skimmers, and 2 main drains. Skimmers each have their own path back to the pump with 1.5" PVC, and the two main drains combine together in to a single 1.5" line under the pool, so the majority of the run is 1.5". The intake lines all combine in to a 1.5" 4 way tee before running in to the Jandy VS FloPro 1.65 HP. The intake side of the pump has a 2" union, but is reduced down to 1.5".

From the output of the pump, all the Jandy equipement (cartridge filter, heat pump, sacrifical anode, valves, etc) has 2" unions on it, but the builder did 1.5" reducers and ran all 1.5" pvc. For the returns to the pool, the main 1.5" return line again uses a 1.5" 4 way tee to split in to three returns, one of which goes to a slide and is always off unless slide is on. Between the output of the pump and the the PVC going in to the 4 way tee to the returns, there is 10 90's, which I know is having an impact on flow.

I've never been very satisfied with the amount of flow I get through my skimmers. It seems like a lot of stuff will float right by them even when the VSP is at full speed. With my filters removed from my cartridge filter, which I would think would give me an idea of back pressure on the return lines, the cartridge filter reads 18 PSI which seems high.

I've done quite a bit of PVC plumbing before through previous hobbies, and finishing our basement, so I'm comfortable with it. I'm debating removing all the 1.5" plumbing on the equipment pad, which has quite a few 90's on it, and replacing it with 2" plumbing and probably long sweep turns instead of 90's.

Question is.... is this work/cost worth it? Would I see an increase in the amount of flow? It seems like all the 90's and reduced 1.5" at the equipement pad would have a big impact, but before I do all the work, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows if I'd see an impact?

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpg
    IMG_3651.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 14
This article has some data in it for head loss.
The more 90’s that can be replaced with sweep elbows then that will be big gains. Just be sure that you use Sch 40 and not DWV pipe for the long sweep elbows.
Also you can add up the length of 1.5 inch pipe and define the head loss for that compared to 2 inch at the pad. That may be minor given that you cannot change the long runs from the drain and skimmer are 1.5 inch.

You can plumb your whole pad with 2" plumbing and you will never be able to tell the difference. You are just peeing into the wind...

Besides... If you have a VS pump, the goal should be to run as slow as possible, so pipe size makes little difference.

Do your skimmers have operating weir doors???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your 1.5" pipes are not the root cause of your dissatisfaction with your skimmer function.

Show us pics of your skimmers.

Are your skimmers positioned into the prevailing wind? The winds are more powerful in steering the direction of surface debris then any water flow.

If the surface debris does not end up in the skimmer where does it end up in your pool?

Where are your returns positioned relative to the skimmers?

What speed are you running your VS pump for skimming?

As Jim asked, do you have weir doors on your skimmer?

I’m a big believer in valving off the main drain(s), sending all of the suction to the skimmers. It’s night and day difference even at low RPMs and when it comes time for leaves or other potential skimmer clogging items, you can simply crack it back open a little bit.

I’m a big believer in valving off the main drain(s), sending all of the suction to the skimmers. It’s night and day difference even at low RPMs and when it comes time for leaves or other potential skimmer clogging items, you can simply crack it back open a little bit.
I actually do this, but then I feel like I'm starving the pump. When the main drains are closed there's typically air in the filter housing of the pump. It's entirely possibly that I'm just assuming this.

Your 1.5" pipes are not the root cause of your dissatisfaction with your skimmer function.

Show us pics of your skimmers.

Are your skimmers positioned into the prevailing wind? The winds are more powerful in steering the direction of surface debris then any water flow.

If the surface debris does not end up in the skimmer where does it end up in your pool?

Where are your returns positioned relative to the skimmers?

What speed are you running your VS pump for skimming?

As Jim asked, do you have weir doors on your skimmer?

One of the skimmers does face the wind, that's where most of the things collect, I've just felt like things don't get "sucked" in to the skimmers. I do have weir doors. It's not that things don't get collected in them, as I do clean the baskets out of junk, it just felt weird seeing stuff run by the skimmer outlet (somethings within 6 inches) and not get pulled in. It's that corner that tends to collect a lot of the oils too, which is noticeable and I'd like to get rid of.

I have 3 returns, 2 of which are mostly pointed towards the skimmers, the other one is in the middle of the pool and it shoots directly to the middle, not towards a skimmer.

I run my CS at max during the daytime and 1750 overnight. I have an autocover, which I think probably limits the surface skimming when it's closed.

There are weir doors, and they are working.

Honestly, I always just assumed that part of my skimmer intake was the use of 1.5" pipes. Logically it doesn't make sense to me to bring 3 1.5 to a single 1.5" and then the same going out. If you all are saying that upgrading to 2" (at least what I can) won't make a difference, I'll start looking in to the other things. You all gave me a good amount of links to go read and research!

I've just felt like things don't get "sucked" in to the skimmers. I do have weir doors. It's not that things don't get collected in them, as I do clean the baskets out of junk, it just felt weird seeing stuff run by the skimmer outlet (somethings within 6 inches) and not get pulled in.

Skimmers do not have that much suction to act like a tractor beam and pull in any debris that passes in front of it.

Toss some ping pong balls in your pool and walk away. Come back in a few hours and see where they are. If they are in your skimmers then all is working fine. Do this on a calm, not windy, day.

You will not see debris getting sucked into your skimmers but come back in a few hours and look for where that debris is.