Pool guy replaced 2" pipes with 1 1/2" pipes

raphaelh

Jun 29, 2020
Fr
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

The pump is below the pool level, and one of the valves was not closing correctly.

The pool guy came and replaced the 2" pipes with 1 1/2" pipes

Before (on the left) vs after (on the right) :
1715109238559.png1715109282681.png

At the bottom left the incoming pipes are Skimmers / Vacuum / Bottom drain
and the pipe on the right goes to the pump

After this "repair", I felt that vacuuming was less powerful, so I called the pool guy and told him that I thought that the new pipes 1 1/2" were the problem (instead of the old 2" pipes)

He told me that is was not possible as the vacuum pipe before the valve is 1 1/2", the valves were 1 1/2" so it was no use putting 2" pipes after

I've found this table : https://media.wattswater.com/Orion-HP-FrictionLoss.pdf
1715110405026.png

so I think replacing the two 90° long radius elbows (2") with two 90° street elbows (1 1/2") also has an impact

What do you think?

Hi all,

The pump is below the pool level, and one of the valves was not closing correctly.

The pool guy came and replaced the 2" pipes with 1 1/2" pipes

Before (on the left) vs after (on the right) :
View attachment 570892View attachment 570893

At the bottom left the incoming pipes are Skimmers / Vacuum / Bottom drain
and the pipe on the right goes to the pump

After this "repair", I felt that vacuuming was less powerful, so I called the pool guy and told him that I thought that the new pipes 1 1/2" were the problem (instead of the old 2" pipes)

He told me that is was not possible as the vacuum pipe before the valve is 1 1/2", the valves were 1 1/2" so it was no use putting 2" pipes after

I've found this table : https://media.wattswater.com/Orion-HP-FrictionLoss.pdf
View attachment 570906

so I think replacing the two 90° long radius elbows (2") with two 90° street elbows (1 1/2") also has an impact

What do you think?
That small amount of 2" plumbing was of no real benefit to the rest of the system. Pool company is correct.

Reactions: Bperry