Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers for equipment ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers for equipment ?

I want to use rubber pavers they sell at home depot, there 18" square and are made of recycle tires to use outside, to put my filter, pump and heater, what do you guys think? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers for equipment ?

Most people use concrete to reduce movement between the components, which stresses all the fittings. You did not say what you were putting the pavers on top of, but it would need to be very compacted.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

The equipment when full of water will be very heavy. Water weighs about 8lb. per gallon. Settling will be a problem for sure if you don't put down a substantial foundation layer regardless of the mounting surface. Even the concrete mini-slabs my builder used have shifted since they just threw them on the ground. Skip the rubber.
    16K gal w/ 7ft. spa, plaster, Jandy CS200 cartridge, Waterway 2hp pump, Raypak P-R405BL heater, Polaris 280 w/pump, retired Nature2
    Magical 2ft wide waterfall cascading over a built-in bench seat with the lawn boy's name on it

4. Back To Top    #4

Should pumps be bolted to the slab? If not, do they jolt when they come on and put stress on the pipes?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll be putting it on compacted soil, can I put a heater on it?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would stick with a concrete pad.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

I have concrete pavers that are a foot by a foot. They were compacted down with pea gravel and sand first to make the ground very firm. I then have a 500lb sand filter on top of them and they have not moved a bit. The pump sits just fine with 2 unions that allow for some minor movement for the pipes. Look in my signature as I do believe there is a picture of the pad that I reconfigured a few years ago when I bought the house.

Concrete slab always works best in my opinion. Bolting them down is not necessary, but to help eliminate sound, you could use a product called flex seal on top of the slabs. Its a rubber product that sticks to the concrete and helps absorb some of the vibration and noise from the pump. I did it and it works great.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/