New ig vinyl pool in Oklahoma

Mar 14, 2013
I have been reading the posts on here and am so happy that I found this site! Our old house had a 16x32 rectangle ig vinyl liner pool w/ 6" radius and sand filter (I don't remember what pump) The hubby did all things pool at that time. Now in the new house, I want to be educated and know what I am doing in regards to the pool. We just ordered our pool kit from Royal Pools w/ the following specs:

23'-3" x 37'-4" Oasis shape ig vinyl liner w/ polymer panels
brace system: polymer x braces
coping: cantilever forms for pool and steps
steps: 8 ft roman sandstone w/ 2 returns
skimmer: 2 skimmers, 2 md, 3 returns
auto chlorinator
standard depth-3'4" to 8 ft
no diving board
future slide (pb plumbing for water)
liner: solid Aurora 20 mil (sand color, no tile border)
2 cut-outs for pool lights w/ light panels

We are using an independent pb (he builds for a local pool company and was referred to us by a friend) who will use his crew for the dig and possibly concrete, and we are subing out for electrical. I would love to do paver coping/decking and still need to get quotes on that, but if we don't, we will have stamped concrete decking.

I did not get a pump, filter, pool lights or pool cleaner from royal because the prices seemed higher than what I could get other places online. I need help in determining what size/type pump I should get. I want to get a sand filter and would like advise on the size as well. I am going to get Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED lights, and deck jets or laminars. I prefer Pentair for most of the equipment from what I have read, but will consider other brands. Will 1 pump work for all of these componants? If I have a watefall or sheer descent added, do I need another pump? Also, does any one have websites they have ordered from that are reputable and have good prices? I don't want to make a mistake and have to pay more later so I'm kinda freaking out now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :-D

Welcome to tfp, mdinwiddie21 :wave:

I estimated 26000 gallon for your pool (the website at royal is poor). Assuming that is close, then we would recommend a minimum 4.8 sq. ft. sand filter. For a pump, assuming no high volume water features, then a pump in the 1 hp range would be appropriate. We also recommend at least getting a 2-speed pump. Do you know what your electric rates are? If over $0.20/kwh then a variable speed pump would be a good choice...less than that a 2-speed may be more cost effective.

Thank you linen! I checked on our energy rates and right now we are averaging about .05/kwh so I think a 2 speed will work for us cost wise. On the filter, I checked some out and it shows for that sq ft we would need a 30" filter. Any recommendations from anyone out there on a 2 speed pump and sand filter?

Yes, a 30" filter is 4.9 sq. ft.

Filters:
  • Pentair TA100D
    Pentair TR100
    Hayward S310T
    Hayward S310S
For pumps plumbing can really determine a lot. Assuming you are running decent sized plumbing, then I am thinking the following pumps will work for you (be enought to backwash your filter, but still low flow to be efficient):
  • Pentair Superflo Model SF-N2-1A
    Hayward SuperPump Model SP2610X152S
    Hayward Max flo VS (variable speed but well priced)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.