Anyone in the GA area put in a new BASIC IG pool?

suzook

Apr 15, 2014
Stony Brook, NY
Moving down in Jan, and wondering what a BASIC 16x32 IG pool will run me. No bells and whistles, just a basic one. I know I can get estimates once down there, but just want to get a ballpark figure, since we will be looking at homes without one.

Moving down in Jan, and wondering what a BASIC 16x32 IG pool will run me. No bells and whistles, just a basic one. I know I can get estimates once down there, but just want to get a ballpark figure, since we will be looking at homes without one.
If the question is related to judging house prices then I’d budget a bare minimum of $60k for adding a pool. There’s just no great way to estimate since there’s so many variables. You’ll always be money ahead finding a place with a pool already there.

Look for a home with an existing pool unless you have a spare $80k lying around.

Not the same region as Georgia, but here in Tucson I built my pool in 2013 for around $60k and, at the time, it was not considered a basic pool (attached spa, rock waterfall, full automations, all oversized Pentair equipment). Nowadays my pool is run-of-the-mill and would start around $100k easily. Prices basically doubled in 10 years.

The good news is that there was a recent article posted about how the new pool start building sector is way down this year and forecasted to be half of what it was for next year. That means builders will be hungry looking for business. If you’re willing wait a few months to maybe a year before pulling the trigger, you could capture some savings from a down market. Patience is key. That assumes, of course, that you either have the finances to do it or you can acquire the financial backing for a project pretty easily.

Are you wanting a plaster, fiberglass, or vinyl lined pool?
Basics of each type are definitely different starting points.
The least expensive is vinyl lined.
Different areas also have different topography & soil (rocky/ sandy/ clay). All of Georgia is not the same.
A rocky dig will cost more than the others.
Your base price could be anywhere from $30k to $60k depending upon your pool type choice & the soil type.
Maybe being more specific will get you some better ideas about pricing

Thanks for the replies. Wanting a basic 16x32 vinyl liner, no waterfalls, no sun shelfs...just a basic 16x32 rectangle with steps . I know things have skyrocketed with covid, but I had an ig installed 9years ago on LI for $30k. I was hoping $50k would do it, but as stated here, lots of variables.

I would budget for $60k-$65k and then start your discussions/negotiations with pool builders at $50k. Be absolutely firm about your cost constraint and you can probably get them to stay under $55k. You’ll have to accept some compromise and probably go least-fancy on equipment. A variable speed pump is a must nowadays so don’t let them undersell you on the pump. A salt water chlorine generator makes life with a pool absolutely simple but you might be better off doing that on your own after the fact as builders tend to either “hate” salt and won’t do it or they overcharge on installation a lot. TFP can help you on the equipment side to keep it simple but effective.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sounds like a Simpool …
@Newdude just got one of those in your current region- i might expect it to be a little less expensive than his experience in the southern United States all things being equal.

I would budget for $60k-$65k and then start your discussions/negotiations with pool builders at $50k. Be absolutely firm about your cost constraint and you can probably get them to stay under $55k. You’ll have to accept some compromise and probably go least-fancy on equipment. A variable speed pump is a must nowadays so don’t let them undersell you on the pump. A salt water chlorine generator makes life with a pool absolutely simple but you might be better off doing that on your own after the fact as builders tend to either “hate” salt and won’t do it or they overcharge on installation a lot. TFP can help you on the equipment side to keep it simple but effective.
I'm almost thinking of a contractor to install pool and pavers/concrete. I'll do all the equipment. I know I can install the swg, filter, pump and heater. Idk if a pool place would allow that. I'm sure I'll be taking away from their profits for overcharging on all that stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Idk if a pool place would allow that. I'm sure I'll be taking away from their profits for overcharging on all that stuff
Yeah. My PB couldn't get what I wanted and allowed me to get my own for him to install. The non itemized bill didn't change nearly what the equipment cost, so I mostly paid him for it anyway.

Had it been itemized I suspect some other part of the build would have immediately risin by the same amount. :ROFLMAO:

I get it. They need $ XXXXX per build or they go out of business

Reactions: suzook
Installing yourself is a little tricky with the pentair stuff as it can mean you don’t get as long of a warranty without “professional installation”.
Not sure about Jandy & Hayward so you definitely wanna double check that before purchasing yourself.
Not sure how many gallons that is (guessing around 23k-25k gal)
So you want to make sure you get a swcg rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume. That may eliminate Jandy & Hayward as as swcg options.
The seasons are longer in the south than in NY so a bigger swcg is definitely better. Some people in that area keep their pool running year round.
The pentair ic60 (2#/day output)
would be good choice for that size pool.
If you don’t intend to have any automation you could go with a circupool model that has similar output (they have several models w/ 2+ lbs/day output).
Circupool also sells filters & pumps (& often offers bundles) but no heaters. They don’t ding your warranty for diy though.

Most pool builders will only take on a job if they install the equipment too. They usually are a preferred vendor for a specific brand. Even though they may not make much profit off the equipment itself, their sales usually go towards a yearly incentive payout that they collect at the end of a year. So they’re less likely to bid on a job where they can’t also sell you the equipment too. I think @Newdude ‘s experience is not the norm of what most builders will do.

Reactions: Newdude and suzook
Only going 5 feet deep on deep end, don't need a diving end.
You may be able to get away with a 40k rated swg in that case opening up your options but usually going bigger is still ideal. It allows you to run the cell less thus extending its finite 8-10k hour life in people years. Alot more production for only slightly more $$

Reactions: suzook
Congrats on you move to the peach state. Topography and soil conditions obviously vary greatly from the coast to the mountains and even from one side of ATL to the other. I’ve never seen a yard that you couldn’t build a pool in but I’ve seen the same pool cost 30k more across the street from one another due to elevation Differences. Great decision to stay shallow, I often advise folks to look at sport bottoms or the flat foot deep end. Measure from the ground to just below your nose standing flat footed and that’s the perfect depth for your pool. Don’t worry too much about how tall other people are unless of course they are helping pay for it. What you are describing is very possible in the 40-50k range barring any huge challenges with the lot. Best of luck with your search and a safe move. Mike

Congrats on you move to the peach state. Topography and soil conditions obviously vary greatly from the coast to the mountains and even from one side of ATL to the other. I’ve never seen a yard that you couldn’t build a pool in but I’ve seen the same pool cost 30k more across the street from one another due to elevation Differences. Great decision to stay shallow, I often advise folks to look at sport bottoms or the flat foot deep end. Measure from the ground to just below your nose standing flat footed and that’s the perfect depth for your pool. Don’t worry too much about how tall other people are unless of course they are helping pay for it. What you are describing is very possible in the 40-50k range barring any huge challenges with the lot. Best of luck with your search and a safe move. Mike
Thanks! The backyard will be part of our purchase of the house. Staying away from something that has a yard that is too sloped. We have looked at one we love, but part of the septic would need to be moved, which definitely is a big expense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.