Different Kinds of Acid?

phoenixtx said:
On poolcalculator.com

Its shows different kinds of acid. For example 15.7% 10 degree Baume or 31.45% - 20 degree baume

What does this mean? Are these different types you can buy?
It's just how diluted they are. Generally, the half strength stuff doesn't cost half as much, so the stronger is a better buy. The weaker stuff is usually marketed as "fumeless" or something. When you buy acid, see what it says on the box or jug. Then you can pick the right one for the calculator to use.

My preference is for the 15.70% product. Where I'm at, it's the identical net price compared to the 31.45% product, but I find it less scary to handle (almost no acrid fumes) and after what I've been through experiencing the delicacy of my colored plaster, pouring less aggressive chemicals into my pool has become a high priority. An accidental spill on my concrete deck may be less damaging too. Obviously on the other hand it takes up more room and creates more waste containers. I buy pool specific 15.70% Kem-tek brand from the Home Depot garden department but the more expensive paint department version is called "Safer" muriatic acid because of its reduced strength.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.