Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump to pool pipes depth of trench

1. Back To Top    #1

pump to pool pipes depth of trench

Is there a building code that specifies the depth of the feed return lines (pvc pipe)

I heard 18" others say there is no specified depth it what ever you want.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: pump to pool pipes depth of trench

Essentially both answers are correct. Generally you bury pipe deeper in colder climates to keep them below the frost lien. For pools that get properly winterized each year it doesn't really matter as there is no water in the pipes to freeze, but as an extra layer of protection it is nice to have pipes below frost depth.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Lake Nona, Florida

Our plumber put them down 2 feet. We have no freeze risk here. There was a trench inspection done, so I do think it's subject to local code.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I'll trench 18-20" and about that width,

in fact I need to re-route my irrigation around the pool, so I'll put them in the same trench

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'm sure there is a building code somewhere that applies. Before I picked up a shovel, I'd find out. I have found reference to a Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa & Hot Tub and Uniform Solar Energy Code, but it looks like you may have to buy a copy to get the good stuff. Or spend more time searching than I've spent.

I did stumble across this code tidbit that would apply where I live:
    At least 36 of pipe between the filter and the heater to allow for future addition of solar heating required. Per 2008 Building Energy Efficiency Standards (BEES)
    Take the time to find out all this stuff before you start digging. And you may find out they want a layer of base rock or sand in the trench. It will ultimately save time if you do it right the first time. You don't want to have to dig things up later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!