Pool Depth and Length Allocation Design Questions

Y-Man

Dec 26, 2023
NJ
Hi Everyone,

Questions for you. I am in the process of having a 20x40 geometric polymer wall vinyl liner pool with a spillover spa in the deep end and a sun shelf on one of the long sides of the pool. Entry stairs are stadium steps the whole width of the pool Dig date is scheduled in 2 weeks. I have a few questions:

1. We need to decide on the deep end depth. The shallow end will be 3 feet of actual water since the walls are 42 inches. Originally, we were thinking of 8 feet even though we have no diving board for safety should someone dive into the deep end. However, the PB strongly advises against the 8 foot depth saying that doing so make more than half of the pool unusable. Also, the slope becomes very steep if going from 3 to 8 feet and people who can’t swim can it can be dangerous if the slide down the slope to deep water.

He suggested 6 feet 6 inches as a happy medium. You can bob up and down if you are struggling by going down and pushing themselves back up. Also at this depth, you can still dive and get submerged but not feel overwhelmed by not being able to feel the bottom. It also reduces the slope drastically.

So what do you think? Is 6 feet 6 inches a good idea, or should we increase it to 7 or even 8 feet? It would be nice for us to be able to play volleyball? but I dont want only a shallow pool of 3 feet.

2. The PB said once we decide on the depth, we need to see how we are going to allocate the length of the shallow/slope/deep sections. He said if the customer does not know, he typically divides them equally in one thirds (Shallow 1/3, Slope 1/3, Deep 1/3).

While I like having a usable shallow end, I am somewhat disappointed that it is only 3 feet of water. It was too expensive to go for the taller panels (48 inches) to gain only 6 inches. I was told we are lucky though bc our pool is bigger and 40 feet gives us more options.

What do you think? How would you allocate the 40 feet keeping in mind the steps are taking up 3 feet.

3. Is the slope part of the pool usable? Meaning can you stand on it comfortably. If so, this would solve my issue of feeling the shallow end is too shallow at 3 feet?

4. Another idea I though of is instead of having a flat shallow, slope, flat deep…..Can we have a gentle slope straight from shallow to deep end ?

1. We need to decide on the deep end depth. The shallow end will be 3 feet of actual water since the walls are 42 inches. Originally, we were thinking of 8 feet even though we have no diving board for safety should someone dive into the deep end. However, the PB strongly advises against the 8 foot depth saying that doing so make more than half of the pool unusable. Also, the slope becomes very steep if going from 3 to 8 feet and people who can’t swim can it can be dangerous if the slide down the slope to deep water.

He suggested 6 feet 6 inches as a happy medium. You can bob up and down if you are struggling by going down and pushing themselves back up. Also at this depth, you can still dive and get submerged but not feel overwhelmed by not being able to feel the bottom. It also reduces the slope drastically.

So what do you think? Is 6 feet 6 inches a good idea, or should we increase it to 7 or even 8 feet? It would be nice for us to be able to play volleyball? but I dont want only a shallow pool of 3 feet.
all of this makes sense and I would not go deeper than 6.5ft.

1. The PB said once we decide on the depth, we need to see how we are going to allocate the length of the shallow/slope/deep sections. He said if the customer does not know, he typically divides them equally in one thirds (Shallow 1/3, Slope 1/3, Deep 1/3).

While I like having a usable shallow end, I am somewhat disappointed that it is only 3 feet of water. It was too expensive to go for the taller panels (48 inches) to gain only 6 inches. I was told we are lucky though bc our pool is bigger and 40 feet gives us more options.

What do you think? How would you allocate the 40 feet keeping in mind the steps are taking up 3 feet.
Is the PB saying the slope is completely variable for them to design? If so, move from 3 ft very quickly to 3.5 to 5ft and make that your longest depth. Then move from 5ft to 6.5ft . I would look at as 2/3rds 3 to 5ft and 1/3 5 to 6.5ft. However there are some rules for slopes in pools so need to find those for your specific area.

You want the slope to be 1:7 or less. See page 3 of the attached manual.

So a slope that takes at least 7 ft to go one foot down. to go from 3 ft to 6'6" would then take about 25 feet of the 40 ft.

Create a 3ft entrance pad off the steps, then go 1:7 down to 4' which will take 7' and so your 4' depth will be 10' out. Then do a 5' long pad 4' deep. That then leaves you with 25 feet to go less then 1:7 for the remaining 25ft from 4' to 6.6'.

Or maybe you want that middle pad to be at 4.5". Adjust this idea to your liking.

With a 1:7 slope people can choose the depth they stand at where they are most comfortable.

Attachments

• 06-052ansi-standard-1.pdf
    607.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: HermanTX
If no diving board, then don't go 8 feet. 6'6" would be fine and lessen the angle of the slope. The slope can be a little slippery though, no matter if it's steep or not, but it's not bad.
The rest of what your PB told you is sensible to me.

On your No. 4. No.

Also in the shallow end. 3 ft deep dont seem like much, but it's more than you might expect it to be.
Getting it any deeper is going to hamper you're volley ball game big time.

Reactions: HermanTX