Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Panel

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Panel

Has anyone used the Solar PV Heater? I wanna try this out, but wanna see if anyone has any feedback first.
    http://solarpowerpanels.ws/solar-power/ ... ool-heater
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar Panel

The description.states it raises water temp 5 degrees in 10 days. That doesn't seem like very much.....
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linked article above
    ...Unlike other solar hot water heaters, the solar pool heater will not warm water to high temperatures. In fact, it simply helps reduce the chill of water used for above ground pools. The pool heating system can increase the temperature of a 6,000 gallon pool by 5 degrees F in 10 days. If you want faster, more dramatic results, up to 4 solar pool heaters can be used at a time to boost water temps by 20 degrees or more.....
    They basically admit it is far less effective in heating pool water vs a traditional solar panel. 20ft of black pipe is not going to make much of a noticable difference IMO.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I was looking at those yesterday, and researched them a bit. It seems like from everything I read the key is surface area, and those style units are lacking it therefore not providing substantial gains in temperature.

They are tempting from the size and cost standpoint, but from the info I've seen so far probably not a good investment. I'm glad you posted this, hopefully there may be some feedback available here from actual users.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have any experience with that brand but it looks identical to the GAME solar pro system which I do have quite a bit of experience with. In my experience if you get about double the recommended number of units it is worthwhile but if you get the recommended number it doesn't make much of a difference.

6. Back To Top    #6

Too small, you need larger panels.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

What would be a decent solar panel to heat my 18' 8000 gallon pool if the above is to small?
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

It is all a function of how much heat you want to add to the pool ... are you trying to extend the season or just take some chill off in the summer? What will the orientation of the panels be to the sun? Is your pool in the sun as well? Are you using a cover (this is actually very important to hold the heat in the pool at night)?

These are all the questions that go into decided how much solar panel area you need.

Your pool is 250 sqft of surface area. Many recommendations I have seen suggest between 50-100% of the surface area in solar panel area.

Many people I see here use the Sungrabbers either 2'x20' or 4'x20' panels placed on the ground. You could always start with 80 sqft and see what it does for you ... easy enough to add more panels for more heating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a 20' pool with 2x4'X20' Fafco Sunsavers (not the 2' panels) and they do a great job adding heat to our pool, we had a hot summer this year and were well on the way to 90 degrees several times before turning them off - to hot for my liking. Last year was a struggle to reach 80 degrees.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10

Another cool thing you can do with a solar heating set-up. When it is really hot out for weeks at a time and your pool is uncomfortably warm just run it after dark and it will cool your pool down for the next day! Kind of a tangent but I thought I'd mention it.