5 boys and a grain bin...new AGP build DIY

This is awesome!!! Hang in there, you'll get it done. I'm a desperate mama with limited funds and it took us a year, but we did it ourselves and we are finally swimming. The girls got some golden work ethics lessons along the way as well, which, as you know is priceless. Your boys seem like stellar lads. Cheers.

stair building messes.jpg
The step-assembling project has taken over my living room. 14yo is in charge while watching Olympic swimming...how appropriate.

Mr. Ideas and his mallet.jpg
Yes, Kim, sometimes their ideas are quite good. Notice the small hammer wrapped in blue duct tape. Steps called for a rubber mallet, which we didn't have. So the Idea Kid made his own. :)

lifting the boys up to the dump truck.jpg
I think the picture of the hot sand truck got posted last night. Once the bed was raised, this is how we got them up in it to shovel each load.

my short ones planning the foam install.jpg
This shows the tape over the bolts before wall foam.

planning the skimmer placement.jpg
I made a poster board template for the needed steel skimmer adapter plate.

Stuck in very thick fog and low temps for a few hours this a.m., so catching up on photo posting. Hope to be opening the liner before lunchtime.

IMG_5700 (480x640).jpgIMG_5700 (480x640).jpg
My "moat" for the PVC to the 2nd return. I am guessing that every pool installation makes homeowners eager to see their yards without holes and piles.

spraying atrazine to prevent weeds.jpg
So much grass had grown back among the pavers during our many rain delays that we went a little overboard with weed killers and used both Round-Up in the surrounding spaces and Atrazine around the floor to hopefully kill any lurking roots we didn't find.

pre-water swimming with Mom.jpg
This was after our last pumping day... I had posted that I was going to work moving the deep end sand by myself sans kiddos, but who can resist a little girl who volunteers to help Mom? She came out and big sister snapped our pic "swimming" in the pool together.

pondering my perimeter plans.jpg
The many rains and pumping days have convinced me that water has been running into my deep end under the wall. Still contemplating ideas to create a barrier for water and weeds. There is not enough "fall" around the pool or yard to do an actual drain pipe. I may put tar on the bottom of the bin wall to protect from rust, then build up the soil against that to help shed water, then cover with the old Intex pool liner (heavy weed barrier), then cover with rock.

packing the deep end.jpg
Packing the sand in the deep end one last time...kids bending to deep walls and cove had to wear foam "knee pads" to avoid denting the sand.

smoothing shoes.jpg
Our foam and tape "smoothing shoes."

the 14yo leveling pro.jpg
One boy in particular has been good at leveling with a 2x4 all the way through, from dirt work to yesterday's final passes over the sand base.

the almost-smooth-enough floor and cove.jpg
Almost ready for tarp on top of sand base. From the top to bottom:
- black rubber continuous coping over cut edge of bin wall
- 1/8 inch thick blue Gladon wall foam (42" inground size, because it was a discounted item)
- 20-year landscape fabric hanging over the sand cove (it's partly taped up in this pic because we were preparing to spread the Copper Sulfate and water it in)
- sand base (to be covered by industrial quality thin tarp as protection from small pieces of rock in the sand)

reaching down to tighten the tarp.jpg
Our tallest friend hung upside down over the wall to pull the tarp tight in the deep end without having to walk around the somewhat-fragile "ledge" between bin wall and sloped bank down to the deep bottom.

The sun appears to be starting to peek through the clouds, so we are off to string our water hoses together and get ready to lay out the liner. Here's hoping we do this right. We are fortified with donuts and Sonic drinks (extra breakfast on our way to buy better spring clamps this morning), and we can feel the finish line just a few days ahead now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Katie! I am such a bone head! LOL NO wonder you had NO idea what I was talking about with the tape and foam.......I was not really looking at the ridges of the walls. For some reason I thought they ran up and down instead of around duh! :rolleyes: LOL It looks like you got it done and it looks great!

LOVE all hands on deck picture! I hope it is on and smoothing out!

:kim:

Having delays in getting equipment running. Pool is 2/3 full. Filled with city water, so didn't bother testing chlorine or CYA, because I know I need both. TA is high...tested at 200, but not really worried about that right now. I'm planning to just start dumping some chlorine in and stir it up without a circulation system in place. Any reason not to do this?

All the reason TO do it! Get it in and mixed up good. Have the tractor hanging over the pool and have a kid or two with straw brooms make waves to help mix it up.

You can also put in CYA. Put it in a sock or three and have the kids squeeze them in side couple of 5 gal. buckets of water they can pick up and pour over the side of the pool. If you let the CYA sit in the sock for a little bit it will be easier to squeeze.

Anything we can do to help get the equipment running?

:kim:

I just want to take a moment to say how impressed I am with you, and your kids!
I have been following this thread since it started, thinking that it was a great project.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures as things go forward, and (of course) the final product with the kids in it having fun.

Katie,

With your can do attitude you should be running for president. Creative solutions, using what you have and working hard to get things done. Motivating the work force, with love or a whip, we don't know. But what ever it is it works. Can't wait to see more photos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.