Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Hose Coming Apart

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Hose Coming Apart

We have a Polaris Vacuum Pump - a PB-4 - and a Polaris sweeper. Since we replaced the pump, the hose has been coming apart at the connections. Just too much pressure or is this just a common problem with older hoses?
    Fairfax, VA - 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster with a Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Hose Coming Apart

I'd say it's the hose connections. You're talking about the hoses on the pump connections themselves, right?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Not on the pump - the hose between the inlet in the pool and the vacuum itself - I think it's officially called a feed hose.

Something like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Hose-Pola...f=pd_sbs_lg_50

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Corsulian
    Not on the pump - the hose between the inlet in the pool and the vacuum itself - I think it's officially called a feed hose.

Something like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Hose-Pola...f=pd_sbs_lg_50
    The hose in your link is for a low pressure (no booster pump) Polaris. The high pressure hose is much smaller in diameter.

Which model Polaris did you buy?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

The pump is a PB-4 - the vacuum is a Polaris 360. We're told it's not "quite right" for our pool - the previous owner purchased it back in 2005.

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's a 360 it doesn't use a booster pump. The 380 does but not the 360. If you do have the 360 and are runing the booster pump with it, there's no wonder the hose is blowing apart.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

That does make sense.

On one hand, I'm glad the problem isn't that I'm incapable of assembling a simple hose. On the other hand, that would be a much less expensive problem.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Corsulian
    That does make sense.

On one hand, I'm glad the problem isn't that I'm incapable of assembling a simple hose. On the other hand, that would be a much less expensive problem.
    Try the 360 with the booster pump turned off and see if it works.

You can also bypass the booster with 1.5" pipe and the 360 might work.

You can also convert the 360 to a 380 (there are several threads about that on this forum) However this might be more expensive than buying a 380 or a 280 (a better cleaner IMHO).
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

9. Back To Top    #9

With the current setup, the 360 doesn't do anything when the pump is off - I'm not sure how the 360 is supposed to work sans pump.

The 280 is certainly more appealing to my wallet.

And the 360 works fine, theoretically, so hopefully there's some kind of market on craiglist.

10. Back To Top    #10

The 280 has been ordered.

The 360 is for sale.