Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any electrician?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any electrician?

I am adding a LED light to a waterfall, the transformer is located about 70 ft away, I have an indoor transformer/adaptor that I want to use. is it OK if I install it in a PVC electrical box? Is is OK with the electrical codes?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    My dad is an electrician.. let me bounce it off him.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends. Generally I would say not. The problem is heat. Transformers get hot. Hot PVC melts. You need to find the max temperature (or temp rise) of the transmformer. Also the temperature rating of the PVC box. If the temp of the transformer is lower then the box OK, if not nyet.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

The transformer does not get too hot, and the light will only be turned on for a few hours per night.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Dad's response:

"That should be fine. You just don't want it to get wet!"
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.
    OH TWINS