Electrician recommendation for Dallas (Plano) area?

jb

Jul 2, 2011
North Texas
Having electrical problems and need a good electrician does anyone had a recommendation in the Dallas area? I have tingling coming from spa light. It still tingles even if the light is off. So two parts to my post - 1 and most important I need an electrician and 2. would love to increase my knowledge of this problem - feel free to contribute to either if you can.

So I understand I have two problems.
1. power in the pool and,
2 pool isn't properly bonded. If it was it should mask the power. This doesn't fix problem 1 which must still be addressed.

Here's a question. If I turn off all the breakers one by one should I be able to at least know which circuit is causing problem 1?

Here's a question. If I turn off all the breakers one by one should I be able to at least know which circuit is causing problem 1?
You can try that and see what you get. It is a process of elimination. But we have had members who have turned off their entire house and still had tingles by the pool. The stray current can come from outside your house.

If the pool and deck are properly bonded then even if you have stray currents they should not affect people. So you may want to look at your pool bonding. Electrical Bonding - Further Reading

Finding stray voltage sources take a lot of detective work. Here are some threads to give you ideas of what you are looking for:

Here is a thread that has been going on for 6 years trying to find the source of a tingle - A Slight Shock.

Here the voltage source was a streetlight connected to the house power line Bonding Issue In A Pool.

Here the Power Company was called in and found the house neutral was damaged and sending current to ground - ELECTRICITY in the water! What could be causing it - how to stop it?

This is really good reading - thank you. Gosh I do hope it's coming from my power and not something nearby.

We had a bad neutral last year. Lights in the hose flickering when using an appliance with heavy load - washing machine or coffee machine etc. Power company fixed it. Lights starting to flicker again though. Called power company they came again tested and said their neutral was ok. It's on my side.
I did some preliminary breaker testing yesterday. I found mostly inconsistent results. Like I could turn off certain breakers and it would go away, then later when I felt I had isolated the correct breaker, it still tingled, when off ughh. The only consistant test I got was when I turned of all the breakers and the main OFF/ON switch it went away and stayed away. Hopefully this means it's coming from my end and not something random from a neighbor or city light.

Would you go after stray voltage first or fix the bonding issue of the pool first?

Would you go after stray voltage first or fix the bonding issue of the pool first?

Improve the bonding.

Stray voltages are a part of our electrical grid.

That is why you do the equipotential bonding around pools.