Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TFPC for Beginners

Re: BBB for Beginners

Is BBB only for chlorine pools or also salt water?

Both.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by Shaf77
    Is BBB only for chlorine pools or also salt water?
    Salt water pools are also chlorine pools. The only difference is the method of adding the chlorine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ Do at least one thing every day that makes you happy. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Thanks!!

I just bought a big tub of the chlorine bleach tablets/pucks at Sams for our new pool, which I will need to return now. Good info in this thread and throughout the forum.
    18,000 gallon in ground, plaster
    340 sq ft cartridge filter
    Jandy variable-speed 2 HP pump
    completed 6/29/12

I am a first time pool owner and so glad I found your site! I am implementing your BBB recommendations and will let you know...I have been pool-stored to death!
    18 x 33 oval above ground; swimquip D.E. filter system

Ditto ... we just got our 1st taste of Leslie's Pools and got ripped $195 to replace a 16x36 solar cover (blue bubble wrap stuff). When we unfoiled the one that the previous owner had it started falling apart in the pool - so we were sort of in an emergency situation. Will do a better job of planning and price comparison the next time. But pool stores are now on notice with me.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS Pool, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

Re: BBB for Beginners - Ph and TA

I am new pool owner, 25K gal, Pentair variable sp pump, SWG, Aqualogic, pentair clean&clear cartridge filter. Converted to BBB this spring, have had very successful summer testing and maintaining pool, water crystal clear all summer and still so. Salt= 2900, CYA= 80, FC= 4.5, TA= 80, borates= 50, all holding steady all summer. Ph creeping upward, now at 7.7, when reach 7.8 will add acid to lower to 7.5.
    Here's my question:
    TA is at 80, where I want it to be, now. When I add acid to lower Ph, will also lower TA. What do I do to bring TA back up to 80 without bringing Ph up.

Thanks for your very helpful site.
    Really discounted & affordable seo services

Baking soda raises TA and has little impact on pH.

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

New pool getting built in June with a SWG.

So what do I need to do when its done? Start using BBB? Or?

If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.
    It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?

It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?
    I responded in your build thread.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

I would like to request that "The Pool Calculator" have a small change for those of us that use the webpage on our mobile phones. If you change all <input type="text"> to <input type="number">, the default keyboard page on our phones will show us the numbers first instead of letters.

The change is supposed to be backwards compatible with browsers that do not support HTML5 and it will default back to text. On Opera, Safari, and Chrome it adds up/down arrows to the right of the field which may change cell widths, however I'm sure jQuery could be used to detect the browser and only change the input type if it is a mobile device.
    17,100 Gal 27' AGP
    44gpm Cooper sand filter
    Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed
    1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, tablet feeder
    Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

Unfortunately, JasonLion the creator of the pool calculator, no longer controls the rights/ability to change the webpage. Have you tried one of the apps? 2 for android: simple pool, pool pal (I think) and one for ios: pool-calculator

Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda, etc). I get mine at a local Co-op type place. Actually an animal feed store. $17 for 50 lb!! Can't beat that.
    21K IG Vinyl; Hayward Sand Filter

Why shouldn't you use Dry Acid (Sodium Bisulfate) with SWG to lower pH?
    Pebble 63kL - Waterco S602 (Zeolite) - Hurlcon EVO P300 3 sp 1KW.
    Watermaid SWG QT150 cell - Polaris 280 Cleaner.
    Spa - spill over (no heater at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Darko5500
    Why shouldn't you use Dry Acid (Sodium Bisulfate) with SWG to lower pH?
    Where did you see that in print?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

"Dry acid is easier to work with than muriatic acid but costs more and should not be used with a SWG."

This was under the pH heading on the initial post.
    Pebble 63kL - Waterco S602 (Zeolite) - Hurlcon EVO P300 3 sp 1KW.
    Watermaid SWG QT150 cell - Polaris 280 Cleaner.
    Spa - spill over (no heater at the moment).

If you use a lot of dry acid, then sulfates can build up in the pool and at high levels (300 ppm) they can be harmful to plaster (see this thread). Some saltwater chlorine generator manufacturers say to avoid using dry acid, though their claim of calcium sulfate formation is questionable. Calcium sulfate scale would take quite extraordinary levels of both and it is not pH dependent the way that calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate scale are. It's possible that there is some other factor of sulfates on the special coatings on SWG plates, but that is just speculation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"