Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked skimmer

How can I repair that vertical crack?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked skimmer

Replace the skimmer box. It's not hard, just drain below the box n put the new one on.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Replace the skimmer box. It's not hard, just drain below the box n put the new one on.
    I know I can do that. No funds to do that now. I was looking for some kind of putty or something like that.

Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

4. Back To Top    #4

I just finished hard plumbing and I think I put too much Teflon tape on the PVC adapter and tightened it too much. I did the plumbing Monday morning and just noticed the crack this morning. I'd like to get by the rest of the summer with just a repair and next spring I can replace the entire unit. Is it at risk for further cracking and posible failure?

Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, torqued it a bit too tight.

If it's just a temp fix you can cruise your local hardware store for water proofing putty that goes on the outside. I've seen it at home depot but I don't know how well it works.
    Note, if you ask they'll probably tell you there's no such thing, I went to 3 stores locally and no one heard of it even though I knew it existed, then just a few weeks ago going thru the plumbing section of home depot - there it was, saw it by accident.

It may buy you some time.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

This caulk is what I used when I built a fish tank, perhaps it can be a solution for your problem.
    6,500 Gallon 18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650gph Pump & Sand Filter
    Intex SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Marine Tex epoxy putty.....they use it to make temp repairs to boat hulls.....can be used underwater also....it may work for you...I think Permatex makes a similar product they sell at Walmart.
    IG Gunite pool built in 1994 3ft/5ft/3ft about 10-12000 gallons, Pentair Challenger 1-1/2 hp pump, Pentair TR 60 Sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Even if you fix the crack it will probably leak at the threads. You could fix it with epoxy but I would also epoxy the threads on the fitting.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken
    Even if you fix the crack it will probably leak at the threads. You could fix it with epoxy but I would also epoxy the threads on the fitting.
    I should remove the Teflon on the threads first before putting epoxy on threads, right?

Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

10. Back To Top    #10

If you put it on the threads will you then be able to screw that piece back on? It looks like it would mess the threads up.

Could you put on the crack and on the joint where the pipes fit together? I am by no means a plumber just curious.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

If I had to repair that, I would use only mechanical means, as this kind of damage needs mechanical support anyway.

A couple hose clamps and a piece of suitable diameter hose pipe slipped over the damaged part would do the job in a semi - permanent way.

The clamps and hose pipe piece should be slipped over there without disturbing the damaged joint itself.

Just my 2c.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by asxetos
    If I had to repair that, I would use only mechanical means, as this kind of damage needs mechanical support anyway.

A couple hose clamps and a piece of suitable diameter hose pipe slipped over the damaged part would do the job in a semi - permanent way.

The clamps and hose pipe piece should be slipped over there without disturbing the damaged joint itself.

Just my 2c.
    Great idea...I already used something called Water Weld from Homedepot.I will do that as insurance, thanks.

Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

13. Back To Top    #13

If you are going to spent that much on glues, tubing, and hose claps... whey not spend $37.95 and get this?

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/product3332.html

No interest, I just know they have them for cheap.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

I spent $24.00 for our skimmer. I purchased it on eBay and that included the shipping. It is regular size and worked perfectly. It had the fittings and gaskets, etc.

Doesn't have a brand name on it, but seems durable and fit the hole exactly that was already in our pool. Our original skimmer that came with our pool (free) didn't have the skimmer door weir. The basket had cracked and wasn't catching most of the leaves etc. so decided to switch it out.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I had a big crack on my skimmer and I used clear indoor outdoor caulk..I put a big glob on and smoothed it out..let it sit a couple hours and repeated..I did this a few times..not a single leak.
    13500 gallons
    Intex 2650 Sand filter pump
    AG