Oh... to do... to do...

Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
Well, we were given a 15 x 30 Lomart that is 15-years old. We may not be installing it. The pool is 48" and we were planning on putting in a deep end, but the installer won't move the straps... they will only put in a tiny deep end that isn't even worth it. Then tonight my son and I had started to steel brush some of the parts to apply "Rust Restore." I discovered that some of the bottom rails have holes rusted right through and the straps are in bad shape as well and have to be replaced. With the cost of replacement parts and the disappointment regarding the shallowness of the pool, we are now considering buying a new pool. See how this happens?! We got all excited but with high expectations! hehe

So, we are looking at putting in a round pool instead that is 52" high. We have it narrowed down to either 24', 27', or 30'. We have teenage children who will most likely have friends over to swim, so a bigger pool would be nicer of course. I'm thinking bigger pool = more money to run and harder to heat with solar. I'm worried that the 24' would be too small. Is there a general suggestions of pool size for the number of adults in the pool at any given time? Such as: serves 4-6? Should I assume that a 30' pool would cost a great deal more to maintain than the average size pool?

I see that there are different "grades" of Lomart pools. Is there anything wrong with the lower grade line? I did find a seller on eBay that sells Lomart pools with free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lomart-Mead...086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cebfecdce We might be able to install a round pool ourselves, if we hire the leveling done. We were a bit too intimidated to install the oval pool that was given to us.

I would love your thoughts. Thank you everyone. Big change of plans for us!

Kim

If I were to do it all over again, and the deck was just finished on mine yesterday, I would go with as big as you can afford. We have a 33' and it is big enough, but not by much. My suggestion, and take it for what it is worth, would be this:

1) Buy a pool online new, 33' or 30', whatever you decide your size preference to be. There are a lot of options, but I would honestly just pick one made by a decent company and dont get too caught up and this kind of top rail width and that kind of top rail width and this type of metal or that type of metal. The top rail on mine look to be maybe 6" and are sufficient. You arent suppossed to be sitting on them anyway and they are more for looks then structural support in my opinion. Same with the legs. If you buy a pool from a decent manufacturer, the parts will be sufficient to last for years and years, and you are going to need the extra money for all the other stuff that comes with a pool.

2) When you buy the pool, just buy the pool and find it as cheap as possible. Dont order it with the liner (unless the website offers you to upgrade to a deep end liner like you want). If they do allow you to upgrade, then order it from them after doing a cost comparison to other sites including shipping. My liner was $525 including shipping for a 33' round with a deep end. And when you get the liner, if you go with a deep end, make sure it is a print liner as it will help with the wrinkles, and there will be some.

3) Order a 1 HP 2-speed pump. It is more than enough to handle the vacuuming and keep the pool clean. I run mine on low 24 hours a day, but that is just because I havent hard wired it to the timer yet. I am not sure how many hours a day I could get away with running it, but it is staying crystal clear on low speed running 24 hours.

4) Personally, I would find a sand filter on craigslist as big as you can find. I ended up with a 300 lb. sand filter and paid $100 for it. Just make sure the laterals are intact when you buy it (have the people remove the sand for you before you see it so you can look at the laterals.)

Viola. Nice big clean pool :party:

Thank you so much for all the tips!!

I have my heart set on the 30' pool, but I'm not so sure it's going to happen. We have underground electric going to the house, which looks like it's going to limit our pool size. I'm going to have to get it marked so we can see exactly where the electric is. My understanding is that we have to be 5'. I'm hoping we'll be able to put in a 27'.

Is there a way to get a rough idea of the costs of maintaining a 27' pool? I want to make sure we're not getting in over our heads. (pun!) lol

A lot of factors come into play, but I'm sure the more educated brethren here can help you out.
$$ per kw of your area
Size and make of pump
Filter size in relation to pool size and pump size
Hr of pump use per day
Hr of Pool use per day (ie. chemicals)
Someone can make an educated guess I'm sure, but I don't have a clue honestly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.